Re: Washington Commanders
« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2022, 05:35 pm »
Bring back the Redskins.

Washington Football Team was a much better name

so were the uniforms

owlsalum1

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2022, 05:47 pm »
Could be worse. Imagine being an Indians, er I mean Guardians, fan. Were I a Cleveland fan, I'd be embarrassed to show up at the ballpark this year. Let the snarky jokes fly ... there are plenty.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2022, 06:28 pm »
The commanders is not a bad name, it is a salute to the military.  I actually liked the name "The Washington Football Team".  It has a no nonsense toughness about it.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2022, 08:37 pm »
They could have kept the “Skins” nickname and called them the Washington Foreskins.

Emil

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2022, 09:47 pm »
The commanders is not a bad name, it is a salute to the military.  I actually liked the name "The Washington Football Team".  It has a no nonsense toughness about it.

Salute to the military? The epitome of toxic masculinity.
Maybe they didn't think this one thru.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2022, 10:06 pm »
Salute to the military? The epitome of toxic masculinity.
Maybe they didn't think this one thru.

Say what you want about our military, but I for one am glad that we have a good one and great men and women willing to give their lives to protect our freedom and other countries freedom.  Now, lets not turn this into a political argument any further. :D

And football is a masculine and macho game.

Emil

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2022, 10:25 pm »
Say what you want about our military, but I for one am glad that we have a good one and great men and women willing to give their lives to protect our freedom and other countries freedom.  Now, lets not turn this into a political argument any further. :D

And football is a masculine and macho game.

Grey
I'm with you 100%. Just being snarky  :D

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2022, 11:56 pm »
Grey
I'm with you 100%. Just being snarky  :D

:D :D :D :D :D

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2022, 02:12 am »
Washington Football Team was a much better name

Hell yeah. WFT, the team that makes their fans say WTF.

'Commanders'? Crappy name for what will be a crappy team as long as their present owner remains.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2022, 09:04 am »

Hell yeah. WFT, the team that makes their fans say WTF.

'Commanders'? Crappy name for what will be a crappy team as long as their present owner remains.

I also like WTF much better than Commanders.  Sounds like some cheesy name made up for a really bad Hollywood movie, or for rollerball teams.  Guardians and Commanders, two of the worst team names in the history of team names.

rodge827

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2022, 12:35 pm »
Commanders? Really? Maybe for a USFL team but not the NFL! The WFT name grew on me it was simple and had a hard toughness to it! Snyder and Co renaming the team was a bad idea to begin with! Yes he’s a billionaire and was good at accumulating wealth, but he’s proven to be a crappy team owner! Stay in your lane dude and stop listening to PC whims of the day! We’ll all be better off for it…

Craig B

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2022, 12:47 pm »
I was always disappointed that the owners didn't go full-on thumb-nosing mode during the "Football Team" period by putting the words in giant letters in the end zones. That would've been great - each end zone with big block letters just saying "FOOTBALL TEAM." Kind of like all those old movies with the dumb jock with his sweater that just said "STATE."  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2022, 12:56 pm »
Now lets come up with a new name for the Cleveland Indians.

Emil

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2022, 01:16 pm »

rodge827

« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2022, 01:35 pm »
 :lol: Brilliant  :lol: :lol: :lol:

twitch54

« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2022, 03:44 pm »
all meaningless for with an owner like Daniel Snyder the 'cancel culture' Redskins will go nowhere .........

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: 3 Feb 2022, 06:39 pm »
Commanders is idiotic. Nobody thought much of the Washington Football Team when they initially changed to it, about 15 minutes after Dan said "...you can put it in all caps, I will never change the name of this team...." but it grew on us and now most people around here were very happy with it. Being rich doesn't make him any less a dope.

I also liked the discussion on PTI yesterday talking about how sports writers will inevitably shorten the name as is common, to the Commies. That is poetic justice.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #19 on: 4 Feb 2022, 04:51 am »
Now lets come up with a new name for the Cleveland Indians.

You mean the Cleveland Guardians?