ob subwoofer enclosure?

squeedle

• Vandersteen 2CE Signatures
ob subwoofer enclosure?
« on: 20 Sep 2021, 05:04 am »
How important is the design of the GR OB enclosure to the sub's performance? Does the enclosure itself enhance the performance, or is it just a convenient design to house the drivers?
https://www.gr-research.com/store/p93/Dual_Servo_Subwoofer_Flatpack.html

Would the subs not perform as well in a simple flat rectangle of MDF with two circles cut out of it?

Sorry if this is an ignorant question. It just seems like since it's OB maybe the specific enclosure doesn't matter that much? If so, I might prefer to design something simpler and cheaper myself.

emailtim

Re: ob subwoofer enclosure?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2021, 05:39 am »
There are a few things going on between a flat baffle and an H-Frame.

1) The sub drivers put a lot of stress on the baffle.  A flat baffle would be moving (vibrations) quite a bit with multiple 12" drivers in it.  The sides, top, bottom and dividers of the H-Frame adds a lot of rigidity to the baffle and reduces the baffle forward/backwards/vibration movement.  Neither of these 2 designs provide "force cancellation".

2) The flat baffle would have to be much wider and taller to active the same "D" that the H-Frame provides to separate the front and back waves.  The flat baffles would have to be @ 26" wider (@ 39" wide) and 13" taller (@ 39" tall) than the H-Frame to approximate the same front/back wave separation.

3) The cubic shaped chase of the H-Frame adds a small degree of load on the drivers which would be less on a flat baffle.

Those are 3 differences to start with.

squeedle

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2021, 06:08 am »
Terrific response, thank you! I will plan to just stick with the GR flat packs then.

One option I am toying with is just getting a single enclosure to start with, the one with two 12" drivers. A couple of people have suggested I could lay it on its side in the front-center of my room. Would that cause any deleterious effects compared to orienting it upright as it was intended?

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2021, 12:44 pm »
One option I am toying with is just getting a single enclosure to start with, the one with two 12" drivers. A couple of people have suggested I could lay it on its side in the front-center of my room. Would that cause any deleterious effects compared to orienting it upright as it was intended?

Laying the sub on its side is OK.

emailtim

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2021, 03:46 pm »
You will actually pick up a little more front/back wave separation from the top driver by laying the single sub on its side. 

If you had a triple or quad, the effect would be more so because the "floor baffle" now runs the length of the longest dimension of the sub versus the shortest dimension.

This is a good way to get started until you can get into a stereo pair of subs.  Your total air movement will still be less than having a stereo pair so you should realize an improvement when you add the second sub.

squeedle

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2021, 03:49 pm »
Thanks for another very helpful response!