Introduction

justinstephenson

Introduction
« on: 27 Jul 2021, 02:12 pm »
Hello,

I have just joined Audio Circle with an interest in DIY speakers. I am a film professional by trade and have spent a lot of time in studios, post suites,  and mixing theatres. My home listening preferences lean towards a slightly rounder version of "monitor" - I like to hear production choices in recordings. I have a deep fondness for near field listening.

I have been devouring Danny's youtube videos - they're really fantastic. I find them entertaining and informative. I have spent some time modifying headphones and making cables to satifying effect. Speaker have always felt out of reach for a modest DIY enthusiast like myself, though. Danny's videos go a long way towards demystifying speaker construction and modification.

In my main system I run a pair of Harbeth P3ESR XDs with a REL t7i from a Heed Obelisk SI III and Soekris 2541 fed from a PI2AES. I've had a few different speakers in that system over the years: the original P3s, a pair of B&W 606s, Dynaudio M20s, the larger Harbeth C7ES3s and now back to the P3s. They're my ideal for my usage: great imaging, great midrange, great detail rendering, and they don't wake up the family when I'm listening at night.

I have a very modest second system that is in our kitchen/dining area that is currently a pair of Mission LX-2s and a NAD D3020 V2. It is really for ambient listening. I am thinking about perhaps building or modding a pair of speakers for that system to elevate it a bit, though. The challenge is that the speakers sit on a bookshelf right against the wall. I had P3s up there at one point and they were great, with their sealed box. The LX-2 do an admirable job with the ports plugged, but I think I can do better.

In any event, I am excited to read through this thread.

hawkeyejw

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2021, 08:08 pm »
Welcome! The desktop minis may be a good option for you or if not, maybe the LGKs when the new drivers come in.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2021, 10:56 pm »
Welcome!

justinstephenson

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2021, 04:05 pm »
Thanks for the welcoming receptions. I AM interested in the minis - they are the ideal size and the infinite baffle is attractive. I worry about the aluminum tweeter and woofer a bit, but I imagine Danny would not put anything out that did not sound good.

Danny had also mentioned the Bravos to me, which I don't see on the site currently - though the flatpacks are available.

What are the LGK's?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2021, 06:05 pm »
Thanks for the welcoming receptions. I AM interested in the minis - they are the ideal size and the infinite baffle is attractive. I worry about the aluminum tweeter and woofer a bit, but I imagine Danny would not put anything out that did not sound good.

Danny had also mentioned the Bravos to me, which I don't see on the site currently - though the flatpacks are available.

What are the LGK's?

The LGKs are small, single driver desktop monitors that should do very well in your application, especially if the port is moved to the front.

justinstephenson

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2021, 11:27 pm »
Thank-you for the LGK photos. They look beautiful. How tall are they? (I found this info on the GR site) My use-case constraint has a hard limit on the height of 13". It's a perfect space for an LS3/5a or variant, but I don't want to splash that much on these. I think a DIY speaker would be a very nice addition.

Does anyone know how the Bravo will be rolling out? Or did I miss the boat on this?
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2021, 02:49 pm by justinstephenson »