Another Newbie says hello

chopduy

Another Newbie says hello
« on: 30 Jun 2021, 04:53 pm »
Hello everybody:)

Like many others I found GR-Research through the good ol' Youtube HIFI rabbit hole and boy am I glad i found it. For over a year I've been watching Dannys videos and reading in this forum for a little over a year now and finally decided to say hi.

I live in Germany and recently graduated as an industrial engineer. I only recently (3 years ago) got sucked into the world of HIFI so my system is still on the lower end consisting of a pair of Triangle Borea BRO3's, a Threshold amp, a FirstWatts B1 Preamp and streaming Spotify over a RPI. Overall I am super happy with my setup but I want to step it up:)

As a student I always lacked the funds to commit to Dannys creations but now that I graduated and started working a I wanna reward myself :P . I live with my girlfriend in a rather small flat, which means that anything OB is currently not an option... unfortunately. So after lots of reading I set my sight on the NX-Studios, even though information/ reviews about them is rather scarce.

Before I pull the trigger I wanted to clarify a few things:

1) Bad recordings: One thing I read about the Studios is that they are VERY detailed. Is detailed = revealing of bad recordings? I am listening to all kinds of music and some recordings can be pretty sh... How brutal will the Studios reveal those flaws? Will it still be enjoyable?

2) Subwoofer: In the thread linked below Hobbsmeerkat posted a picture of, lets call them, "subwoofer stands". This solution seems perfect for my living conditions, since i could safe the space of placing 2 subwoofers next to the speakers. Hobbsmeerkat said in that post that Danny discontinued these subwoofers. My question is: couldn't I just get the Servo Sub Kit 1 or 2 but build it in an enclosure as seen in the picture?
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168181.260

Thank you everyone. Feels good to finally be a part of this community:)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Another Newbie says hello
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2021, 07:25 pm »
Congrats and welcome!

I'll see if I can help with your questions.

1) Yes the speakers are very detailed but they arrive at that detail honestly by simply being high resolution devices.  Other speakers cheat and rely on an analytical voicing to try to seem more detailed than they actually are.  The net result is that on Danny's speakers, ALL recordings sound better, it's just that the great recordings will now sound spectacular and the average/poor recordings will merely sound 'good'.

2) You should be able to build a narrower box with the woofer side firing, the main issue is clearance behind the woofer, making sure there's space for the amp, and ensuring there's the correct internal volume.  The net result is the stands will probably have to be a bit larger than what Hobbs was showing.  But still doable.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2021, 07:42 pm »
The NX-Studio tweeter is very detailed, airy, and clean sounding yet also so smooth you can listen for hours with zero fatigue.  And the better your gear up front the better it will sound.  Also, don’t forget the miflex bypass caps.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2021, 08:08 pm »
Welcome! I’ll be building a pair of the NX-Studios soon too, can’t wait. Over the years I’ve found that I gravitate towards more well recorded music just because it sounds so obviously better, but I can still enjoy old favorites even if they’re not the best recordings.

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2021, 09:21 pm »
Wilkommen!    :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2021, 12:29 am »
You're in luck, actually! As Danny has ordered more of the 8" servo sub drivers. I dont know when they'll be arriving yet, but there will be opportunity to build them again in the future!  :thumb:

There is also a Triple 8"woofer version that was designed for the Super mini that will also work well, but it requires an external amp box, while the dual version can fit it in the tower.

chopduy

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2021, 06:40 am »
Thanks everybody, it seems like the NX-Studios really are a special speaker. Whats the current status of the long awaited woofer shipment, does anyone know? I am ready to order  :D

@Hobbs: Well, that just seals the deal doesn't it! How do you like those subwoofer stands? Anything that is worth noting compared to regular subwoofers?

chopduy

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2021, 06:40 am »