BDA-2 died

bjski

BDA-2 died
« on: 14 Jun 2021, 10:37 pm »
Hi everyone,
Looking for opinions…….my BDA-2 died. The BDA-2 is located in my second system. Using a BDP-3 as the server. The BDA-2 is out of warranty. Should I repair the unit or replace it with a BDA-3. Thoughts?? (have a BDA-3 & BDP-3 in main system)
Thanks

mav52

Re: BDA-2 died
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2021, 12:14 am »
I say contact Bryston and ask what is the charge to test a unit. It could very well be cheaper to fix it than buying a new device if you happen to like the BDA-2.

bjski

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2021, 12:04 am »
Thanks

dangerdawg

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2021, 07:36 am »
Definitely check on having them test it!

soundmax

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2021, 03:08 pm »
Maybe it's just a blown fuse. I'd check that before taking other costly decisions...
But you have to unscrew and open the case, because it's inside.

gbaby

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2021, 02:06 pm »
Maybe it's just a blown fuse. I'd check that before taking other costly decisions...
But you have to unscrew and open the case, because it's inside.

My Bryston 2.5 SST2 would not power up. I sent it back to Bryston under warranty, and it turned out to be a blown fuse. If I were you, I'd listen to soundmax.

bjski

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2021, 05:15 pm »
Thanks for your answers. Unit is on it’s way to Bryton.

R. Daneel

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2021, 05:11 pm »
Thanks for your answers. Unit is on it’s way to Bryton.

Hi!

When they repair it, would you mind letting us know what was wrong?

Cheers!
Antun

bjski

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2021, 06:16 pm »
Hi!

Cheers!
Antun

Hi, I will…….
Thought it might be a fuse but the screws torqued to tight for me.

I can say I have one of the earliest BDA-3, 0000005. It went in for servicing late 2018. I checked the receipt however it didn’t say what was replaced. I think, or speculate it was the input/output board. I believe Bryston changed the board a couple of years ago.

bjski

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2021, 09:57 pm »
Hi!

Cheers!
Antun

Hi, I will…….

I can say I have one of the earliest BDA-3, 0000005. It went in for servicing late 2018. I checked the receipt however it didn’t say what was replaced. I think, or speculate it was the input/output board. I believe Bryston changed the board a couple of years ago.

R. Daneel

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2021, 07:49 pm »
Hi, I will…….

Hi! It is possible it was the input board because I've read several comments about fried input circuits. My guess is that people connect their DACs to all kinds of digital sources: TVs, IPTV or DVB-T receivers atc. The problem is, these devices are typically very low quality and digital signals are pretty miniscule. If the voltage rises for whatever reason, it can likely damage the input circuit within a DAC. I don't know, it's just a speculation on my end. But these are very expensive DACs for someone to have problems with them so that's the problem.

I hope Bryston will sort your BDA-2 quickly. I am interested to hear what the problem was.

Cheers - Antun

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2021, 12:57 am »
Hi, I will…….

I remember with myBDA-1 the screws were so tight my audio dealer used a hair dryer to loosen up the screws,there were quite a few complaints about that.
they should be just snugged up,not remove them with vise grips or any other Neanderthal weapon of choice.
that was a few years ago when that BS was going on.

bjski

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2021, 03:15 pm »
my BDA-2 was returned several weeks ago. I don't know exactly what was fixed what was fixed. Works fine now.

bjski

« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2021, 03:18 pm »
When my BDA-3 died the main board assembly was replaced. It was a very early unit serial #000005

bjski

« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2021, 03:21 pm »
My BDA-2 cost $99 out of warranty. My BDA-3 parts were replaced under warranty. I have no complaints. Bryston customer service is the best. :thumb: