R.I.P. 2B-LP

GrooveControl

R.I.P. 2B-LP
« on: 14 Sep 2021, 02:11 am »
I just noticed the 2B-LP on the discontinued page. Wow, that was quite a run!   

I purchased one of those back in the 80s shortly after they came out.  It would turn out to be the only Bryston product that I wasn't really happy with.  It wasn’t performance, reliability or value that was the problem, it was mechanical noise from the transformers. I bought it for home use, but the block type transformers were too noisy (mechanically) for me.  Took it into Bryston at Rexdale, but all they could do was tighten the transformer screws, which didn't help, so I sold it.  I always wanted a toroidal version of the 2B-LP, as I knew they would be amazing, but never got around to acquiring one.   

Last summer my neighbour gave me an old 2B-LP. I was excited at first, hoping it would have the toroidal transformers but unfortunately it was the block transformer type too and the transformers were really noisy. I tried tightening the screws, but like almost 40 years ago, that didn't help. This time I'm keeping it as I found a home for it in my garage system.  It must be nearing 40 years old and it is still performing wonderfully, transformer buzz aside.

This model was definitely one of the best sounding and coolest looking small amps out there.  R.I.P. 2B-LP

Mag

Re: R.I.P. 2B-LP
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2021, 05:49 am »
I have one too collecting dust as I'm not using it in my current set up. Purchased it at AudioArk in Edmonton but I don't recall what year that was, at least 10 years ago.

Also purchased one around 1980 but that one got stolen. :cry:

colhogan

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2021, 08:07 am »
There are not many amplifiers that I can think of that had a production run of almost 40 years. It certainly says something for the quality and durability of the product.
My first introduction to Bryston products in 1989 was with a 2BLP, and the .5B pre-amplifier. (I believe the cost was $1,400 for the pair.)
For many years, the 2BLP was my go-to amplifier.
I am saddened to see it go, but realize that with so many being made they will be around on the used market for years to come.
Combine that with Bryston's excellent product support,and know second-hand purchases may be made with confidence.

sfraser

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2021, 03:21 pm »
I have a couple of 2B-LP's in operation for my center and surround channels of my current basement system. Perfect low profile amp that just chugs along. I was hoping to pick up another pair of used 2B-LP's for my kitchen and rear porch speakers. I could not find any at a reasonable price and ended up diving into the "class D" arena with a pair of Crown XLS's amps. Lets see how long the Crowns will "chug along".