Hello from New Zealand

Lindisriver

Hello from New Zealand
« on: 9 Jun 2021, 09:41 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm Holger from New Zealand (moved here from Germany in 1993). I joined audio circle to learn more about audio reproduction, diy OB speakers and everything else around home hifi.
I'm very new to this, have a bit of cabinet making experience, but lacking any technical background.
I love music, mostly classical, jazz and anything interesting that comes my way via spotify (can't wait for their launch of the hifi version).
New Zealand has a very limited diy audio community, no websites, forums etc. Quality parts are virtually non existent. Everything has to be imported from overseas. In fact, good old fashioned music listening on a 2 way system is extremely rare, but most people have a large flat screen TV that the home seems to be built around!
My day to day job is my small vineyard (we make wine, too, Pinot Noir only). I'm learning classical guitar with a teacher in Argentina and play golf.
I'm looking forward to my time on audiocircle.
Cheers,
Holger.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2021, 10:21 pm »
Welcome Holger .

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2021, 10:22 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle and be sure to post pictures of your projects

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2021, 11:24 pm »
Cheers and Welcome to AC Holger   :thumb:

Rick1881

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2021, 12:42 am »
Hello from the USA

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2021, 12:46 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2021, 11:14 am »
Welcome Holger!

Your summary of the status of audio and TV's seem pretty universal.  With the internet living on an island shouldn't be a big limitation.  Once you move away from a few audio hot spots the closest Bricks and Mortar stores are 100 km plus away from most of us. 

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2021, 07:24 pm »
Hey!

Welcome Holger!

I've never been to New Zealand but it is on my short list of places I want to see, maybe someday. For now I've been enjoying some Kiwi's exports like Pinot Noir that I can pick up at stores here in NYC. Also, I've been watched a show called "The New Zealanders" a very nicely done and beautifully shot show. And talk about about music, I've been digging BENEE's new album "Hey U X" and still love her double EP album that I got early last year. I really do enjoy her songs... but sometime I wonder if I'm too old to like this! :lol:

Anyway, welcome to the AC we have good people here. And by the way, any suggestion for a good Pinot Noir from New Zealand?

Buddy