recommended salk speakers for ...

bakufu

recommended salk speakers for ...
« on: 4 Jun 2021, 02:34 pm »
a friend is thinking about reconstituting his two-channel audio system.  the only component he intends to keep in the new system is the krell ksa 80 amplifier, recently brought up to spec by krell.  otherwise, he's looking at two components from schiit - the freya+ preamp and the bifrost 2 dac - and one of the streamplayer models from salk.  he's replacing a pair of venerable 30 year-old martin logan sequel 2's.  the listening room isn't terribly large, maybe 10' x 15', although he is open to the idea of relocating the system to his living room, which is larger - maybe 20' x 15'.  (the first value in each dimension is the wall where the speakers will go.)  his listening is nearly 100% classical, covering instrumental, chamber, and orchestral works.

any recommendations?

DEP14

Re: recommended salk speakers for ...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2021, 06:01 pm »
I tend to be partial to the Accuton/Raal designs.

My uncle was over last weekend, and that it what he listens to music wise.  He loved my SS12's (and we were not listening so loud, or to bass heavy tracks where the huge woofer made a big difference).

Song 3A, 3A Encore (if jim could build that), or the SS 7/8's

bvk_houtx

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2021, 01:49 pm »
I'm not sure what your budget is but the Ellis 1801's might be something you should look at.  I heard these several years ago, they were the monitor / bookshelf version and I remember they impressed me.  I'm sure the floor standing version would sound even better.

Hydro

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2021, 03:26 pm »
For classical I would go with Exotica Monitors. They sound great anywhere in the room, not just in the sweet spot and don't have as forward presentation as most other Salks. Mine have the RAAL tweeter and are front ported, plenty of bass for classical.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2021, 03:49 pm »
Is the KSA 80 one of the brighter sounding analytical Krell's? If they are then the Exotica would work well. A speaker using the RAAL like the Silk could be an option, the RAAL is clear and does not have a tipped up treble. I would probably avoid a speaker with the SEAS titanium driver, it may be too much with that amp.

The Silk tower will have the ribbon clarity he is used to with bass down to 34 Hz so the classical music will have a good foundation. Add one or two REL subwoofers of the appropriate size for a killer system that would sound fantastic when playing loud or soft.