2.5 cubed vs the 3 cubed amps

Luxmancl38

2.5 cubed vs the 3 cubed amps
« on: 6 Jun 2021, 11:13 am »
I currently have a Bryston 2.5 SST2 and I'm thinking of upgrading. My setup for music is a Luxman CL38u SE tube preamp w/a pair of Aerial 5T's. My plan is to use the SST2 as a mono block for my Aerial CC-3 center. How much of a step up are these cubed amps vs the SST2 and and what's the difference between the 3 cube and the 2.5 cube. :D

veloceleste

Re: 2.5 cubed vs the 3 cubed amps
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2021, 07:17 pm »
I went from a 2.5bsst2 to a 3B3 and found the change a nice upgrade. Speakers are Mini T. The power increase was welcome as sometimes when I listened at fairly high levels, I could clip the 2.5Bsst2 and that doesn’t happen now. The 3B3 has better separation of instruments in space, is perceptibly quieter, ie, to use the cliched description, the sound comes from an “inky blackness”, and is more relaxed, balanced and neutral. The difference between the 3B3 and 2.5B3 is the power and number of output transistors per channel. Another nice feature of the 3B3 is its shallow depth although it is taller than the 2.5B3. I also pair my 3B3with a tube preamp, a LTA MZ2 and it is a great combination.

Luxmancl38

Re: 2.5 cubed vs the 3 cubed amps
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2021, 07:56 pm »
Thanks for the insight. The Bryston 2.5 SST2 is a nice match for my Luxman tube preamp. But I think the added power from the 3 might be the answer. I live in an Apartment so space is limited so power wise this should be plenty :thumb: