Help Wiring the Cross-overs

Hollis Prince

Help Wiring the Cross-overs
« on: 5 Jun 2021, 12:31 am »
Hey folks, I am needing a little help. I'm building a pair of X-Statiks. This is my first time wiring up a cross over and I'd really appreciate it if you'd take a look at this clusterf*ck and see if I'm on the right track. I'm learning everything as I go. I really like doing things myself; I enjoy learning new skills and I love being challenged. I've built the cabinets already, they just need to be veneered and the drivers and crossovers assembled.

« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2021, 03:08 am by Hollis Prince »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Help Wiring the Cross-overs
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2021, 02:14 am »
Please don't share the values/schematics.
but yes, it looks good to me.  :thumb:

Hollis Prince

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2021, 03:12 am »
Sorry 'bout that!

Thank you very much!

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2021, 07:29 pm »
I think you are correct, from what I can see in photo.   It looks like you put some thought into properly laying out and alternating your inductors, but it's a lot to put on one board.  My honest suggestion would be to split that into two boards by removing the lower woofer circuit and placing it on its own board.  That would allow you to separate the tweeter and mid-circuit inductors a little further and completely remove any potential for magnetic cross interference with the woofer circuit.   The X-static lower cabinet is plenty large and often mounting two smaller boards is easier than mounting 1 larger board, considering where the internal bracing is placed.   I did send you a PM.  If you do want some help potentially laying that out onto 2 separate boards just let me know and I can email you a couple layout options.

Good luck and enjoy.  I hope this is also gonna be joined with an X-Voce center at some point unless just 2.0 for music.

Elon

ezeescrossovers.com

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2021, 10:39 pm »
That lower right inductor can be laid flat.

Hollis Prince

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2021, 03:19 am »
Thanks everyone! E-Zee I'll reply back to you soon.

Here's what I have so far. I've got em all glued and sanded and cleaned up now. I'm going to start veneering tomorrow. I have some peel 'n' stick walnut veneer. Last speaker project I used contact cement and that worked fine. This time the woodworking shop only had the peel 'n' stick kind.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2021, 01:16 pm »
Hi Hollis Prince,
If you test solid wire vs stranded wire on the internal wiring please inform us  :thumb:

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2021, 09:24 pm »
Fullrangeman,

I'm hesitant to respond regarding solid vs stranded internal wire, but this is something I've done some individual testing on in a couple of bookshelf builds, but of even more value I've researched through credible testing and experience of others much more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

I dont think the debate is even worth having.  Solid core inductors sound better and perform better than stranded ones.  Inside speaker cabinets, solid core wiring should be used exclusively.

The only benefit and reason why stranded gets used for non-internal wiring is due to longevity and durability.  The solid core when experiencing repeated manual flexing in external uses, will eventually cause breakage.  Even with that understanding there are still professional studio uses where solid stranding is used externally for its improved qualities and just not handled or flexed unnecessarily.

Vibrations or other small flexing from rotating or moving cabinets does not constitute enough movement to ever cause failure of solid core internal wiring.  The only internal wiring fails I've ever seen were from people hanging too heavy a wire and the weight of perhaps hanging a 12ga wire or larger on a cheap speaker terminal causes the terminal to break off, but that's mostly in a car audio world where cars bottom out and go over speedbumps. Even in those scenarios I've never seen broken solid core wire, just broken terminals from too much weight.

With weight being the most damaging factor in those xtreme applications (such as car audio, or where someone uses un-necessarily heavy gauge) that's another win for solid core which is more structural than stranded. Side by side, solid vs stranded, solid core is more rigid and somewhat stands-up on its own holding its form without collapsing,  resulting on less pull against the terminals, if that was a concern, which it shouldn't be for residential speakers.

« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2021, 11:55 pm by E-Zee »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2021, 12:34 am »
Thanks  E-Zee I will take note these informations  :thumb: