X5/X3 Plate Amp

abomwell

X5/X3 Plate Amp
« on: 28 May 2021, 12:07 pm »
Looking at the X Series Owners Guide, it says to turn the plate amps off before the main amp. Is there any reason to turn the plate amps off at all other than saving on electricity? I had active Janszen ESL speakers with 2 built-in Hypex Ncore amps and left them on 24/7 without any problems. Also, my active Dutch and Dutch 8C's are left on continuously. BUT, with the both those model speakers all the internal amps went on together without the use of an external main amp as the X series models require. My main amp will be the Carver Crimson 275 which would need turning off between listening sessions.

Thanks!

Al

geerock

Re: X5/X3 Plate Amp
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2021, 10:45 pm »
Class D amps are very efficient and there is really nothing that requires "charging" or warm up before playing well so I see no reason you couldn't leave them running.  But if you do you don't want signal from upstream components to pop or squeal through the active part of the speakers.  So you turn on from main amp, pre, any other sources, then speakers.  Shutting them down is in reverse.  I shut down all my components, including my X5's, at the end of a session, but I'm running tubes in just about everything (expensive NOS tubes at that) so I keep the hours down and turn them off.  I let things warm up a bit when I start a session.  I have a pair of all in Odyssey monos that I had to keep on at all times because those things had full rows of caps that would take a day before they charged and sounded good.

abomwell

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2021, 11:27 pm »
 Many thanks Geerock. That makes a lot of sense.

Al

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2021, 12:33 am »
Looking at the X Series Owners Guide, it says to turn the plate amps off before the main amp. Is there any reason to turn the plate amps off at all other than saving on electricity? I had active Janszen ESL speakers with 2 built-in Hypex Ncore amps and left them on 24/7 without any problems. Also, my active Dutch and Dutch 8C's are

Do you already own X3/X5 speakers? 
I would be interested in comparisons to Janszen and Dutch&Dutch speakers, if not now, when you do get the X.

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2021, 01:37 am »
My X5 bass amps shut themselves off automatically after ~15 min or so of no music and wake up as soon as music is present again.

abomwell

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2021, 03:27 am »
TomS and Jon L, thanks.

No, I don't have the X5's yet. Just ordered on Wed. The Dutch and Dutch 8C's and Janszen's are very different but both excellent.

I was not aware the X5's subs have automotive turn on and off. Is that function defeatable?

Al

bbybaudio

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2021, 07:42 pm »
As Tom put it, when Hypex subwoofer amp on X5/X3 senses signal from amp it switches on. When music/main amp is turned off, then about 15 minutes later, Hypex shuts down.

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2021, 11:19 pm »
I was not aware the X5's subs have automotive turn on and off. Is that function defeatable?

Al
I suppose if you wanted to get into the Hypex DSP module's programming (app called HFD), yes, you can change the power modes. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. In practice, with 6 different amps (tube and SS) I've tried here, it's not been an issue whatsoever.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2021, 11:57 pm »
When I received my X3s a couple weeks ago, Clayton emailed me to turn off the plate amps before turning off the power amplifier.  Otherwise, there may be a "howling" or "feedback" kind of sound.  He said, it won't hurt anything but it would be irritating.  Normally, I leave my system on 24/7.  But, when cleaning the room, I turn off the plate amp first and then the power amplifier.  I hope this clears up your question.

Marcus

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2021, 12:48 am »
When I received my X3s a couple weeks ago, Clayton emailed me to turn off the plate amps before turning off the power amplifier.  Otherwise, there may be a "howling" or "feedback" kind of sound.  He said, it won't hurt anything but it would be irritating.  Normally, I leave my system on 24/7.  But, when cleaning the room, I turn off the plate amp first and then the power amplifier.  I hope this clears up your question.

Marcus
Aaaahhh yes, makes sense to me now, thanks for that. I had told him about it, never heard back. Reducing the gain also stops it. It happened to me on a few amps, though not all. Fortunately neither the Modwright KWH 225i or the Digital Amp King DTM's I have now, do it.

abomwell

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2021, 02:29 am »
Thanks, everyone. I'm glad to know it won't hurt anything, Marcus. If it weren't for having a tubed amp I'd leave everything on 24/7.

Al

Al