Turntable placement in an OB system

zenfishbike

Turntable placement in an OB system
« on: 27 May 2021, 03:19 pm »
Wondering if the best place for a turntable would be in the area adjacent to an OB sub where the bass frequencies are null? And, if so, how large is that area fore and aft of the baffle of a dual H frame?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Turntable placement in an OB system
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2021, 03:35 pm »
Wondering if the best place for a turntable would be in the area adjacent to an OB sub where the bass frequencies are null? And, if so, how large is that area fore and aft of the baffle of a dual H frame?

I'm not sure about the specific answers to your question. In my case there isn't enough room for anything between the speakers and the wall. I have my power amps on the floor between the OB subs but have moved all the rest of the equipment to the rear side wall. I moved most of the gear, including the turntable,  to the side wall to get stuff out from between the speakers and open up the soundstage.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2021, 04:51 pm »
For me I have a high mass turntable Acoustic Signature Triple X (100+lbs) sitting adjacent and behind in the corner. I hear no feedback whatsoever and sounds freakin amazing!
I would imagine it depends on the turntable too.

zenfishbike

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2021, 09:52 pm »
For me I have a high mass turntable Acoustic Signature Triple X (100+lbs) sitting adjacent and behind in the corner. I hear no feedback whatsoever and sounds freakin amazing!
I would imagine it depends on the turntable too.

Wow! In the corner? You'd think the tonearm/cartridge would get bombarded there even with the mass. Glad it's working well for you.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2021, 10:22 pm »
It looks like its got a plexi dust-cover over it, so I'm sure that help keep most direct interference to a minimum.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2021, 01:03 am »
It looks like its got a plexi dust-cover over it, so I'm sure that help keep most direct interference to a minimum.
Hobbs, the dust cover is only on when not in use. I did however put absorption and diffusion panels throughout the room and specifically on the side and behind the rack. I think that does help but it’s an amazing TT.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2021, 01:18 am »
Ah good to know!

Bullitt5094

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2021, 12:05 pm »
Use your head! Well, ears anyway. Play various low-end test tones and dynamic music. Put your head in the places you are considering placing the table. You'll easily figure out what are good and bad areas.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2021, 01:33 am »
My TT is centered between the OB speakers. It is wall mounted and is also a high mass set up. My Emerald Physics EP 2.7 speakers are very similar to Audiosaurusrex's Spatial's. (same designer) Dual 15" OB woofers, no subs, but don't really need them. They are five feet from the front wall. No issues. I think OB bass may not be as problematic with feedback as box speakers due to the different ways they energize the room. Maybe.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2021, 01:40 am »
Hobbs it's actually better to take a dust cover off when playing records. The dust cover picks up the vibrations in the air and transmits them to the table.