APPLE

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: APPLE
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2021, 05:45 pm »
ALAC is based on FLAC open source code. They fixed the biugs and switched the endian nature of the data.

dave

gbaby

« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2021, 09:23 pm »
ALAC is based on FLAC open source code. They fixed the biugs and switched the endian nature of the data.

dave

Alac is not based on Flac, but rather is is Apple's own compression algorithm.

gbaby

« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2021, 09:26 pm »
The lossless tier doesn't even launch until next month. Not understanding the previous post.

Not true. You can get Music Prime in lossless if you pay the extra fee. I did, but music sounded better from CDs to my BDP3 so I cancelled Prime HD.

dB Cooper

« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2021, 09:51 pm »
I recently cancelled Apple Music in HD as it did not sound good using airplay to my Bryston SP3 using HDMI. Hopefully, Apple Music can be added to the BDP3 in the future.

Just to be clear, Apple just announced HD (Hi-Fi they are calling it) on Monday. It is not available until next month.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2021, 09:53 pm »
Hi Guys

Are we talking Amazon HD vs Apple?

james
« Last Edit: 19 May 2021, 11:30 pm by James Tanner »

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 19 May 2021, 10:02 pm »
Not true. You can get Music Prime in lossless if you pay the extra fee. I did, but music sounded better from CDs to my BDP3 so I cancelled Prime HD.
My comment, and (I thought) yours- was about Apple's newly announced lossless service, not the HD service available for some time now through Amazon Prime. It seems the two are being mixed up. The initial statement referred to having canceled 'Apple HD'. I was just confused because Apple hasn't launched theirs yet. Amazon Prime Music HD has been around.Two different companies, two different services- one at a 30% upcharge, one at no extra cost.

dB Cooper

« Reply #26 on: 19 May 2021, 10:03 pm »
Hi Guys

Are we taking Amazon HD vs Apple?

james

I think so. Probably a typo but was just seeking clarity.

dB Cooper

« Reply #27 on: 19 May 2021, 10:11 pm »
BTW I tried Amazon HD and liked it but missed a feature all the other lossless streamers had: The ability to control the output device directly from my Mac, thereby avoiding transcoding in the computer every time the file parameters change unless you manually change the DAC device settings. I would have revisited it if they had added that but now I guess I don't need to. As long as Apple supports it that is...

gbaby

« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2021, 10:50 pm »
Hi Guys

Are we talking Amazon HD vs Apple?

james

Damn! Forget everything I posted on this matter. I was confusing Amazon Prime with Apple. :duh:

gbaby

« Reply #29 on: 20 May 2021, 10:51 pm »
My comment, and (I thought) yours- was about Apple's newly announced lossless service, not the HD service available for some time now through Amazon Prime. It seems the two are being mixed up. The initial statement referred to having canceled 'Apple HD'. I was just confused because Apple hasn't launched theirs yet. Amazon Prime Music HD has been around.Two different companies, two different services- one at a 30% upcharge, one at no extra cost.

Damn! Forget everything I posted on this matter. I was confusing Amazon Prime with Apple. :duh:

dB Cooper

« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2021, 11:58 pm »
No problem. I will probably ditch Qobuz once the Apple catalog is fully converted. Apple's pricing is going to be hard to match.

RonCH

« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2021, 10:10 am »
Hi - I have asked our software engineers to look into it.

I wonder if ROON will be affected?

james

I can't help but think that ROON must be very concerned.  ROON relies on Qobuz and Tidal for its streaming and these services are looking less attractive now and surely have a less than certain future. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2021, 11:44 am »
I was thinking the same about ROON and other library management systems of your 'own' music.

Streaming maybe not - so Spotify and Amazon and Qobuz remain in tact - as far as I know the problem with Apple Music is you have to pay for listening to radio stations etc.?

Not sure I understand all the ramifications of this? There really seems to be a difference of opinion and of course the Apple monopoly looms large.

james

newzooreview

« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2021, 04:25 pm »
I was thinking the same about ROON and other library management systems of your 'own' music.

I use Roon 80% of the time to play my own music. I suspect that's the case for most Roon users: it is a very good way to access and rediscover things you already own. I have Qobuz as well and use it to explore music I don't have. If I really like something I buy the CD or the download. Music streamed via Qobuz never sounds as good as locally stored files. Not to me, or on my system, at least.

So I doubt that Apple's new HD streaming as a threat to Roon or other library management systems. If you didn't want to index, explore, and play your own library, you wouldn't consider Roon. If you only wanted to stream music, you could have been using Tidal (and now Qobuz) for a long while. Apple doesn't add much to the mix that I can see. Even though I use Macs, iPads, and iPhones, I gave up my Apple Music subscription. If I really want to stream something, I can stream Qobuz as easily as Apple Music on any device.

What I like about Qobuz is a) no MQA and b) a good balance across genres. Apple Music heavily emphasizes top 40 stuff with superficial treatment of everything else.

GSDaudio

« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2021, 06:11 pm »
Potential for another use of the BDA-3's HDMI input?

Apple says Apple TV 4K currently supports 24/48 through HDMI to an AV receiver.   (Note that Lossless music is not available yet)

I'm not a computer guy but it would make sense that an  Apple TV box is a relatively stripped down version of a  Mac computer ?  ie less computer noise?

Hopefully there will be a member with Apple TV 4K who can try this out when its rolled out.  :hyper:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #35 on: 25 May 2021, 07:35 pm »
I can't help but think that ROON must be very concerned.  ROON relies on Qobuz and Tidal for its streaming and these services are looking less attractive now and surely have a less than certain future.

I think Roon is pretty safe, the Apple Music development currently only effects Apple users and for all we know Roon is already working on integrating Amazon Music HD into there service, its certainly in the realm of possibility considering a handful of OEM solutions have integrated Amazon Music HD.  Also Roon is more then just a way of playing TIDAL and Qobuz, its a music management interface for your whole home with a powerful DSP and a fine one at that I don't see either being determent or much of one to Roon.

Chris

GSDaudio

« Reply #36 on: 8 Jun 2021, 01:42 pm »
FYI Folks,

Apple lossless has gone Live in Canada as of this morning.

Easy peasy in lossless with Shairport-sync on BDP-3....you need to check off lossless in playback preferences and choose bryston device in an icon at the upper corner of Apple Music.

There is no indication of stream quality in Apple Music that I found so far.  BDA-3.14 shows 44.1 light.

They are really pushing "Spatial" .... avoiding that for now.

Cheers

GSDaudio

« Reply #37 on: 10 Jun 2021, 11:27 am »
FYI

Devices with Shairport-sync appear to be limited to AAC lossy streams even though lossless is selected.  Audio forums are churning out possible reasons...

https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/issues/1199

My test on the BDP-3 confirms this as well.   I select lossless...confirm lossless is available....GET INFO shows AAC streaming.

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 10 Jun 2021, 12:21 pm »
Hi Folks,

It looks like it is going to be difficult to get playback in hi-res from Apple other than using a computer or headphones? 

I assume Airplay 2 can stream hi-res? Bluetooth is a non-starter.

james

Alphonse

« Reply #39 on: 10 Jun 2021, 06:25 pm »
It is not totally clear to me yet what is available lossless out of the gate. I am going to do the free trial period on my Apple TV 4K to my SP3 at some point. According to the apple support page "Apple TV 4K currently doesn’t support Hi-Res Lossless (sample rates greater than 48 kHz)." Not that I would be able to distinguish the difference 24/48 vs 24/96 vs 24/192, but I would interpret the "currently" part of the statement to mean that 96 and 192 would be supported on Apple TV 4K sometime down the road, maybe by end of year? Not sure it will be worth $10 per month after the free trial but should be fun to try it. I currently listen to compressed internet radio and it sounds pretty good to me either stereo or 3.0 Neo6-music format.

Al