3i vs. CAM's

roscoe65

Re: 3i vs. CAM's
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2021, 11:39 pm »
Maybe I would start by driving them with an actual amp.  I know there are some HP guys who like Chord directly into Omega, but in an actual room I can see this running out of drive quickly.

Your Hugo 2 would make a great digital preamp driving a single ended tube amp.  The Inspire amps I use are resolving and work very well into most loads (2-20 ohms) but like being driven with an active gain stage (like the Hugo 2).

RDavidson

« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2021, 11:49 pm »
Yeah. In your case, getting a sub I think is a wise choice given your priorities. You already have the 3's too, so it makes logical sense as the next thing to try. You could get CAM's and pair them with separate super tweeter too. Some folks do this. I have been looking to give it a try myself to see what it adds. Different ways to get you where you want to be. It has been mentioned already that pairing a sub or subs with the 3's is not trivial though. You need a sub that can play very fast and clean up to around 120hz or even a bit higher depending on your setup. As such, you'll need to place the sub near the speakers to maintain coherence. Obviously Omega subs are a great place to look first. Rythmik is also highly recommended.

thetakeout

« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2021, 05:08 am »
Roscoe,

What is your amp/preamp set up.  Whic tube is your had amp based on?

Thanks!

roscoe65

« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2021, 01:16 am »
Preamp is LP-27a.  Amps are KT88HO (6922 driver) and SEP PSE.  Both amps will run any tube you put in the socket, and some that don’t with adapters.  The KT88HO is running KT88’s at the moment (~10-12wpc) it can run anything from 6F6 to KT170.  The PSE can run any tube as well, but currently runs GL KT77’s for about 20wpc.

NoDisco

« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2021, 01:39 pm »
Supertweets add a bit of sparkle. Hell, I’ve even took the old tweeters/ crossovers from an set of cheap paradigms and that worked. Aimed them upwards. It felt like cheating. RELs are great subs and work with SAMs. Start with one. I have 2 and thought that was a great idea till I found out I really barely need one. Currently, they sit right next to each other. I have them on the side where my speaker is far from the corner. The other speaker sits much deeper in a corner, and This setup cancels some of its bloom.

mick wolfe

« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2021, 04:13 pm »
Yeah. In your case, getting a sub I think is a wise choice given your priorities. You already have the 3's too, so it makes logical sense as the next thing to try. You could get CAM's and pair them with separate super tweeter too. Some folks do this. I have been looking to give it a try myself to see what it adds. Different ways to get you where you want to be. It has been mentioned already that pairing a sub or subs with the 3's is not trivial though. You need a sub that can play very fast and clean up to around 120hz or even a bit higher depending on your setup. As such, you'll need to place the sub near the speakers to maintain coherence. Obviously Omega subs are a great place to look first. Rythmik is also highly recommended.

You've hit the nail on the head. My time with an RS5 based Omega ( actually a twin driver floorstander) had me wanting for more warmth/body in the region you speak of.  And yes, that would have required a fast pair of subs reaching 120 hz. or higher. Great little drivers to a point, but I decided to move on. As always YMMV.

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2021, 02:21 pm »
edward:

i'm driving CAMs with a Chord Hugo2/2go, and feeding one of Louis' subs as well from it. I have a boxed-up Hugo TT2 on the floor in front of the setup as well. The Hugo2 is plenty of drive (1W) with the sub IMHO/IME. i've used it in two different rooms now - no problemo. the TT2 and DAVE have higher power outputs, for sure, but i found the TT2's extra juice unnecessary (someday when i'm not being lazy i'll ship it back to my buddy). without the sub, i could cap out the H2 trying to get the response my brain wanted. with the sub, i push it, but don't cap it out. 70% to 90% volume range, i'd guess.

doody

thetakeout

« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2021, 10:29 pm »
Mick,

What speakers are you using now?

Thanks

mick wolfe

« Reply #28 on: 19 May 2021, 04:07 pm »
In my bigger room....Klipsch Heresy 3's or Zu Omen DW's (with Clarity caps).  These are complimented with two HSU 10" subs. In my smaller room...Ohm 1000's and someday GR NX Studio Monitors. ( the cabinets are built) Complimented in this room by 2 REL subs. All tube amplification in both set-ups.