A fun speaker.

Early B.

Re: A fun speaker.
« Reply #80 on: 15 May 2021, 04:26 pm »
We've come full circle to what Danny said: "So maybe I can figure out a passive woofer solution for the 8" and 10" coaxial models with 12" servo subs for the 12" coaxial model."

It appears as though he's talking about two models, one of which the 8" and 10" Radian woofers don't currently exist, and the other that is readily available -- the 12" servo subs with a 12" coaxial (the new Super V???).

And yes, JJ -- for a party speaker, you absolutely want "stadium filling" sound, even in a medium sized room, so a 12" coaxial speaker with servo subs is the way to go if price isn't a consideration. However, to prevent from overpowering the room, the subs ought to be open baffle.

This project screams of needing a modular approach...

Folsom

« Reply #81 on: 15 May 2021, 06:17 pm »
A party is challenging if your speakers have to be in the middle of the room.

It would be interesting to have a box on top of servo open frames for 12". It'd make sense physically to some degree, and you don't need as much wall distance for bass. However not having the amps mounted makes it kind of complicated, so I'd consider putting them on the back of the box for the mid.

The Radian 5210 iand 5312 are pretty darn smooth. The 5312 could actually be put in it's own box and be a good speaker. It could be ported, too. But if you want party level of bass I still high recommend bipolar. I suspect that with an aperiodic vent the mids will be damn good. This could be more than a party speaker alone.

The FAITAL PRO 10FE200 is very appealing for this use. It has a OB level of QTS, but there's nothing wrong with putting that in a box because it'll only misshape the midrange/highs it won't be playing. Because it has low enough damping it can play well past the FS. With room gain it'll rock your socks into the 30's with usable bass. Plus it'll save you a thousand dollars over Radian units that will sound boring. You'll be able to stuff the bass cavity. And it'll sound like voluminous thick bass, not anemic in image.

And bipolar speakers cancel vibrations within themselves, so you won't wreck the sound with such intense bass.

Folsom

« Reply #82 on: 15 May 2021, 06:33 pm »
So why not

10" Speaker:

2x Radian 5210
4x FAITAL PRO 10FE200
+Danny Richie Magic

12" Speaker:

2x Radian 5312
4x SW-12
2x A370 PEQ
+Danny Richie Magic

RonP

« Reply #83 on: 15 May 2021, 06:36 pm »
I remember in the mid 90’s bipolar speakers were in vogue.

Sometimes they were happy. Sometimes not.
 :icon_lol:

I could not resist.

Early B.

« Reply #84 on: 15 May 2021, 07:14 pm »
The 5312 could actually be put in it's own box and be a good speaker. It could be ported, too.

I thought of this as part of a modular option for those who already have subs. Set the 5312's on top of a pair of dual servo subs and you got a rockin' speaker. 

emailtim

« Reply #85 on: 15 May 2021, 07:43 pm »
Sometimes they were happy. Sometimes not.
 :icon_lol:

I could not resist.

Lithium dielectric contact grease remedied that.

Folsom

« Reply #86 on: 15 May 2021, 07:47 pm »
I thought of this as part of a modular option for those who already have subs. Set the 5312's on top of a pair of dual servo subs and you got a rockin' speaker.

:thumb:

jn316

« Reply #87 on: 15 May 2021, 08:08 pm »
I'd be interested in that. Big price difference between the beryllium and aluminum versions though. Hope the aluminum's sound OK.

Early B.

« Reply #88 on: 15 May 2021, 08:57 pm »
I'd be interested in that. Big price difference between the beryllium and aluminum versions though. Hope the aluminum's sound OK.

I believe a big part of the difference in cost is that beryllium is fragile, highly toxic, and difficult to work, so it has to be treated like a hazardous material. This whole process is expensive, although beryllium supposedly improves the sound. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #89 on: 15 May 2021, 09:12 pm »
Be tweeters sound much better than aluminum tweeters.

jn316

« Reply #90 on: 15 May 2021, 09:42 pm »
Be tweeters sound much better than aluminum tweeters.
No doubt, but how much of that sound superiority would transfer to the lower frequency ranges of a 12" driver though, and for a party speaker, would I care? To be honest, I wouldn't have thought Danny would be interested in any metal driver, but I trust him...darnit!  8)

Looking at the description more closely, is the entire diaphragm out to the surround metal? It says the dome (dust cap) is aluminum, and on the selection page is has you pick either be or aluminum for the diaphragm so that is why I'm assuming it's all metal to the surround.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #91 on: 16 May 2021, 04:50 am »
The Radian compression drivers have mylar surrounds on the aluminum or Be diaphragms.

Early B.

« Reply #92 on: 16 May 2021, 05:20 am »
If you can afford it, go with beryllium. 

paolocaminiti

« Reply #93 on: 16 May 2021, 01:42 pm »
Does the collaboration with radian means we may see a new Super 7 like build to top the dual subs? If I'm not wrong one of the top of the line radians is used in the Lumia speaker, it would be an interesting alternative for who like me is planning to build the MTM otticas, perhaps have both :)

Skilly

« Reply #94 on: 17 May 2021, 01:58 am »
This thread sure took off. I was just here a couple of days ago and there were only 4 posts?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #95 on: 17 May 2021, 02:33 am »
This thread sure took off. I was just here a couple of days ago and there were only 4 posts?

It also keeps flying away from my original concept.  If it costs more than $1K then you might as well go with X-MTM.

WC

« Reply #96 on: 17 May 2021, 03:24 am »
It also keeps flying away from my original concept.  If it costs more than $1K then you might as well go with X-MTM.

All the Radian coaxes will be greater than a $1K build.  :wink:

Early B.

« Reply #97 on: 17 May 2021, 04:32 am »

The X-MTM? Where's the fun in that?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #98 on: 17 May 2021, 04:39 am »
Ngl, I'd love to build a pair of X-MTM towers.. or something like the NX-MTM that use an open baffle tweeter and a pair of NQ-16s i designed a while back..

Maybe some day...  :P

jn316

« Reply #99 on: 17 May 2021, 03:44 pm »
Yeah, two beryllium 5312 drivers alone are $2224. Add in the crossover and cabinet and you are pushing $3k and that doesn't include the bottom end. That's why I'm hoping the aluminum 5312 doesn't suck as two of those are "only" $1220 plus crossover/cabinet. I'm not bashing those who want to go this route...more power to you, but I'd like to see Danny do his magic on something that competes with Tyson's mod'd Forte at half the cost, or maybe even less. Has to be tons of markup on those Klipsch's. May not be possible, but here's to hoping!  :thumb: