Recent Acquisition: AV123 X-Static + X-Voce

Vince in TX

Recent Acquisition: AV123 X-Static + X-Voce
« on: 28 Apr 2021, 05:27 pm »
From the description and lack of detailed photos, I thought these would be in worse shape than they were.   Worth every penny, and saved myself a ton of hours (and probably money) not having to build them myself.   I was originally planning to refinish them and upgrade the crossovers if needed, but I think they look perfect as-is.   I can't wait to get the Odyssey Kismet amp and fire them up!    :D

« Last Edit: 7 May 2021, 02:52 pm by Vince in TX »

emac

Re: Recent Acquisition: AV123 X-Static + X-Voce
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2021, 05:48 pm »
Ah, looks like the Ninja Modded crossovers.  Good stuff that definitely helps.  Have those crossovers for my X-Omni's and Strata Mini's.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2021, 05:56 pm »
I remember seeing that set on ebay a week or so ago.

Vince in TX

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2021, 06:05 pm »
I remember seeing that set on ebay a week or so ago.

I found these in The Music Room.    :)

RonP

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2021, 10:04 pm »
I see TMR selling on eBay and Audiogon all the time. usually their eBay listing is cheaper.

Machinist77

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2021, 01:18 am »
Hello,

Brand new member and guess I do not understand all the rules to this forum yet. So please forgive my ignorance. Obviously I need to make some post. I had these on my watch list through eBay. Mainly because I’m very interested in anything Danny does. I originally considered Danny’s x-static kit until I realized I did not have the ability to pull everything out 3’ from the wall. So instead for now Danny designed a new crossover network for my Paradigms Monitor 9’s that I have owned for 19 years. Very happy with them now and on the journey to I upgrade my components.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2021, 03:08 am »
Congrats! You'll enjoy them. The X-Statics were the first AV123/GR Research Speakers I ever heard and I was immediately impressed.

Vince in TX

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2021, 11:01 am »
I see TMR selling on eBay and Audiogon all the time. usually their eBay listing is cheaper.

I actually tried to find the eBay listing and couldn't.  Do you remember what they were asking for them?   I paid ~$1200 + shipping for the set from TMR.   I figured that was a bargain because a friend and coworker built a pair, also with walnut, and he was into them for close to $2500 once all was said and done.   Granted, he had someone else build the cabinets, so labor was involved.   All and all, I'm very pleased, especially if Danny confirms the crossovers are still viable.

Vince in TX

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2021, 11:06 am »
Hello,

Brand new member and guess I do not understand all the rules to this forum yet. So please forgive my ignorance. Obviously I need to make some post. I had these on my watch list through eBay. Mainly because I’m very interested in anything Danny does. I originally considered Danny’s x-static kit until I realized I did not have the ability to pull everything out 3’ from the wall. So instead for now Danny designed a new crossover network for my Paradigms Monitor 9’s that I have owned for 19 years. Very happy with them now and on the journey to I upgrade my components.

I had this concern as well, but I spoke to Danny yesterday, and it's the baffles that need to be at least 3' from the wall, not the back of the speaker box, so I'm good with that.   I just ordered a pair of his Servo Sub Kit 4s to complete the front channels.   I almost went sealed, but Danny convinced me there would be less pressure in the room, yet still have amazing LFE.   I just need to find spikes for them now to get them up off the floor.    I'm having those laminated with walnut also to match.    :thumb:

EDIT:   I actually just went and looked at the cost of the kits with the flat packs, and with upgrades they're $2300 for the set not including tax and shipping, so I think I did good with these.   :)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2021, 11:20 am »
I actually tried to find the eBay listing and couldn't.  Do you remember what they were asking for them?   I paid ~$1200 + shipping for the set from TMR.   I figured that was a bargain because a friend and coworker built a pair, also with walnut, and he was into them for close to $2500 once all was said and done.   Granted, he had someone else build the cabinets, so labor was involved.   All and all, I'm very pleased, especially if Danny confirms the crossovers are still viable.
Thats about the price i saw them for, iirc

I really dig the sound of the X-statik. Its v similar to the X-LS, but with a clear & more spacious mid-range and a little deeper bass.
Tho mine was also a fully stock cabinet/crossover. I'm excited to
experience the upgrades.

Ill be out of state next week tho so I wont be able to make any progress on them, tho I think both of them are just about ready for their base of lacquer, and one still needs to have norez & crossover installed. I'm gunna wire up and test one of them here soon. Possibly today or tomorrow as plans allow.

Hope you enjoy yours!

Steven Stone

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2021, 02:52 pm »
I'm glad my X-Statics found a good home. Skiing Ninja mods, as noted.

Vince in TX

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2021, 06:02 pm »
I'm glad my X-Statics found a good home. Skiing Ninja mods, as noted.

Awesome!   I was hoping you were in here.   :)

And thanks!   They are definitely in a good place now.   You took exceptional care of them, and for that I am forever grateful (taking into account they came to you as "B" and "B/C" stock).   Just curious, what did you replace them with?   I will keep that in mind if I ever move to a new home with a larger theater room.

EDIT:  Incidentally, talk about a small world, I rediscovered your review and some of the early modifications you made to these.   It was your review and the threads where you, Danny and Sean were discussing options that convinced me I needed the X-Statics in the first place.   That was over a year ago when I started out with the X-LS Encore kits and was contemplating X-Static + X-Voce.   The universe has a funny way of working things out.    :thumb:
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2021, 08:12 pm by Vince in TX »