Build OB Sub H-frame Grills first?

zenfishbike

Build OB Sub H-frame Grills first?
« on: 24 Apr 2021, 02:03 pm »
Since the fabric choice, corner wrap technique, and method of attachment result in a hard to predict finished LxWxH, I'm thinking it makes sense to build the grills first then fine tune the H-frame opening (and grill recess depth in particular) to accommodate them.

MDF vs. plywood for grill frame? Plywood seems like it would be less fragile.

Also would be much obliged to receive links for grill fabrics that you like. Thanks!

AlexH

Re: Build OB Sub H-frame Grills first?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2021, 06:29 pm »
if you were thinking about a black grill cloth, my favorite is Mellotone Premium Grill cloth. It is Black and a heavier weight than the cheaper stuff.

https://www.parts-express.com/Mellotone-Premium-Black-Speaker-Grill-Cloth-Yard-64-Wide-260-332

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2021, 12:46 am »
Another option is to surface mount the grill frames. That's what I did with mine. In any event, I build the frames to match the opening rather than the other way around.

zenfishbike

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2021, 01:07 pm »
Alex, thanks for the fabric link, I may just go with that.

Mike, surface mount is an easier approach for sure. How did you attach yours? I dont see any holes or magnets.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2021, 03:10 pm »
Alex, thanks for the fabric link, I may just go with that.

Mike, surface mount is an easier approach for sure. How did you attach yours? I dont see any holes or magnets.

The grills are attached with magnets that were installed before the veneer was applied. I lined up the grill frame where I wanted it on the cabinet and used painters tape to secure it in place. I then drilled pilot holes through the grill frame into the cabinet where I wanted the magnets to go. After removing the grill frames, I drilled holes for the magnets into the cabinet so the magnets would be slightly recessed. I secured the magnets to the bottom of the holes with CA glue then filled the holes with epoxy so they were slightly domed. Once the epoxy cured, I sanded it flush then applied the veneer.

rtate

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2021, 03:35 pm »
@mlundy57 ,  you have the set up that I will be building this year ! :)
Did you happen to do a build thread on that setup ?
Could you post a picture from behind the speakers ? I'd like to see how you connected to the crossovers.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2021, 04:00 pm »
@mlundy57 ,  you have the set up that I will be building this year ! :)
Did you happen to do a build thread on that setup ?
Could you post a picture from behind the speakers ? I'd like to see how you connected to the crossovers.

I did my crossovers a little different. Instead of making them compact and placing them on the base of the monitors, I spread the parts out and built them on external boards. This makes for more stuff on the floor and longer hookup wiring. I don't recommend don't it this way unless you have a specific reason such as using parts like the large copper caps and heavy gauge inductors that won't fit on the base of the monitor.

rtate

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2021, 07:15 pm »
Did you finish the crossover up date ?
If so what were your results ?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2021, 07:20 pm »
Did you finish the crossover up date ?
If so what were your results ?

Nope. That's back burnered until I get time to work on something for myself.