James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: To Trade in or Not?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2021, 01:27 pm »
I actually am thinking about selling my 4B SST2 and moving on to a 4B3.
The problem is that it has now been on the market for almost 6 years, so chances are there will be a new version in the not too distant future, because on average a 4B model is replaced after about 6 to 8 years. It happened when I bought my 4B SST2 and just three weeks after I bought it the news of the 4B3 release popped up...

GrooveControl

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2021, 09:16 pm »
Being that we're talking about audio gear, obviously the happiness derived from the sound is the most important measure.  But let's not forget that happiness can also be derived from the products' functionality and appearance.   

When you're in an audio store, before you ask the sales rep to let you hear a piece of equipment, you have already assessed its appearance and functionality.  How many time have you looked at a product, thought to yourself: Fugly, and then moved on? 

I'll bet that if you reproduced the B60 but made it look like this, even with the exact same audio components and sound as the old model, many B60 owners would consider upgrading.  Given how good the old B60 sounds, the looks and/or functionality (fully remote), would be enough for many to consider upgrading.

GSDaudio

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2021, 10:05 pm »
"Fugly"?  My Bryston beauties are anything but.   :icon_lol:

Kidding aside...I think the digital side needs updating at at a much faster rate then the amplification side......about 4 times the rate imho.   Kinda follows Moore's Law...

Cheers!

PS.  VU meters are nice....

G E

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2021, 10:54 pm »
Meters are cool.

veloceleste

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2021, 10:40 am »
As the article said, it all depends on priorities, ability and necessity. I’m very happy with my system and listen every day. I went from a 2.5Bsst2 (actually a pair bi-amping and bi-wiring Mini T’s) to a single 3B3 and it is an improvement in sound quality.