RCA cable lengths

Dagoods

RCA cable lengths
« on: 25 Mar 2021, 09:19 pm »
Looking for opinions on RCA cable lengths

I will be finished with the build of my triple subs in a few weeks and have a question concerning the length of the RCA cables to the servo amps.

My equipment racks are on the side wall towards the back of the room.

One servo amp will be about 10' from the equipment rack.

Second one routing the cable around the walls is about 30' from the equipment rack.

My question. Should both RCA cables be the same length and coil up the extra or have the cables the correct length (1 10' and the other 30')?

Does it matter if they are not the same length?

Appreciate all comments!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: RCA cable lengths
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2021, 09:32 pm »
I like to keep stereo cables the same length but I'm a crazy audiophile. 

If you've seen Danny's explanation of cables then you know a cable can be a filter.  Think of what an extra 20' of "filtering" on one channel will do to the signal.  Then again maybe you won't notice the difference.  Oh and never coil extra cable.  And don't run audio cables parallel with power cables.

You can get custom length cables from Bluejeans cable.

Squeaks

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2021, 09:56 pm »
I’m running a 15 ft pair to mine. Zero loss in fidelity, or voltage is noticeable. I went the diy route, to make sure I had more bang for the buck. I would keep them the same length. Coiling them is your option, i doubt you’ll hear it. Most cables have a spec sheet, you can see the loss at 100m or farther.

Wire:
http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=57

Rca:
https://www.parts-express.com/Rean-NYS373-2-RCA-Plug-Black-with-Red-Indicator-092-113?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjPaCBhDkARIsAISZN7TNXPR4hHzOqrnWMChAQx1dy6bgTLJZWV30FSTvbzsur3tkL1NWGkAaAtbvEALw_wcB

Jaytor

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2021, 11:24 pm »
I'm using a 5M and a 7M cable (DH Labs Sub Sonic II) to connect my two subs and the bass is fantastic. I wouldn't worry about long cables or using different lengths. The frequencies the subs are handling are very low, so any high-frequency roll-off in the cables is going going to be much higher in frequency than you care about.

Dagoods

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2021, 11:57 am »
Thanks for the replies!

I'm a crazy audiophile as well. Always had the cables the same length. But hate to leave an extra 20' coiled up on one side. Agree the highs don't matter.

I think I will try it both ways. I have the cables to go either way and see if I hear any difference.

Thanks Again