Gave up waiting on AV1s. Sorry.

Theronbo

Gave up waiting on AV1s. Sorry.
« on: 19 Mar 2021, 04:04 pm »
Been wanting to buy since Nov. when I built my X-Statix & then center speaker.

Frankly, was concerned that AV1s are reflection speakers & Dolby Atmos use 3-D sound.

Order Summary

260-309
Quantity:2
1 each:$5.59
$11.18

290-525 Eminence ASD1001 1" HF Titanium Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI
1 each:$34.99
$69.98

290-502 Eminence Beta-10CX 10" Coaxial Driver
1 each:$79.99
$159.98

290-635 Eminence PXB2:2K5CX 2-Way Speaker Crossover Board 2,500 Hz
1 each:$49.99
$99.98
Subtotal   $341.12
Discount   $0.00
Shipping   $0.00
Tax   $28.14
TOTAL   $369.26

So, cost is virtually identical...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Gave up waiting on AV1s. Sorry.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2021, 02:50 pm »
No need to apologize, dude.

Parts shortages and manufacturing issues have been an ongoing issue for the better part of a year now, drivers, caps, resistors. Etc. Not to mention ongoing issues in the electronics industry as a whole.

And if you need to get a move on, there's honestly nothing wrong with that.

I've heard a lot of good things about Eminence products, so I wouldn't worry too much, and just enjoy your journey!  :thumb:

Theronbo

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2021, 04:35 pm »
Wanting to get my viewing/listening room ‘finished’.

I cannot believe how much joy I get from my X-Statiks everyday I have them... I was so dubious when building them....

I thought my JBL 530s were pretty awesome... how could these DIY project speakers be significantly better?

No comparison, not even in the ball park. & 530s really aren’t bad.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2021, 04:57 pm »
I'm in the middle of rebuilding/upgrading a pair of AV123 X-statiks myself.

Hearing them before losing one to the Fedex refund process was a real treat, so I have no worries about how they'll sound once they're finish, esp with the upgrades I'm giving them, and burn-in process they're getting while I work on getting the cabinets finished.
I think they're about 100+ hours on the drivers/crossovers now?

But it's wild seeing how much better Danny's designs are. But until my XLS, the most expensive speaker is heard up to then were my $200 pair of powered monitors. My XLS destroy them in every category possible, but at the time, they were definitely better than my super basic 2.1 Logitech kit from around 2004?

I have no doubts that my XStatiks & NXStudios builds will put my XLS to shame. :P

But I'm definitely curious to hear about your alternative plans in the meantime as they progress! :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2021, 05:04 pm »
Wanting to get my viewing/listening room ‘finished’.

I cannot believe how much joy I get from my X-Statiks everyday I have them... I was so dubious when building them....

I thought my JBL 530s were pretty awesome... how could these DIY project speakers be significantly better?

No comparison, not even in the ball park. & 530s really aren’t bad.

+1  The bang for the buck performance from DIY that's designed by someone that really knows what they're doing is mind blowing. The sweat equity is worth it. I have multiple pairs of speakers in different systems now that I could never afford to buy retail. I've been on the "sound quality matters" (audiophile??) journey for over 50 years. While I always went for the best sound quality I could afford (which kept me squarely in the mid-fi arena), after discovering Danny's DIY speakers 7 years ago, I now get to experience music that is orders of magnitude better than I ever had or heard.

In the beginning I was sure I wouldn't be able to pull it off.With the help of folks on this forum I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. For all you out there wondering if you can do it, if I can you can too. Plus you have an edge since there are now flatpacks available for almost all of Danny's designs. Seven years ago there was no such thing as a flatpack and I still managed to pull it off. So come on in, the water's great!!

Cblan1224

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2021, 05:53 pm »
+1  The bang for the buck performance from DIY that's designed by someone that really knows what they're doing is mind blowing. The sweat equity is worth it. I have multiple pairs of speakers in different systems now that I could never afford to buy retail. I've been on the "sound quality matters" (audiophile??) journey for over 50 years. While I always went for the best sound quality I could afford (which kept me squarely in the mid-fi arena), after discovering Danny's DIY speakers 7 years ago, I now get to experience music that is orders of magnitude better than I ever had or heard.

In the beginning I was sure I wouldn't be able to pull it off.With the help of folks on this forum I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. For all you out there wondering if you can do it, if I can you can too. Plus you have an edge since there are now flatpacks available for almost all of Danny's designs. Seven years ago there was no such thing as a flatpack and I still managed to pull it off. So come on in, the water's great!!
I regret not doing the x static/x voce combo, as it would've been similarly priced to what I bought before I found them. Now I've got some decent klipsch speakers, the tweeters are solid, and Danny's crossover took these things to another level. For now, I decided to invest in the crossovers. Eventually, ill probably sell them and end up going with the x static, or better yet, buy what I can as I can afford it..put my klipsch floorstanders to the rear, and keep my surrounds as top-mids for when I eventually get that 13-15 channel processor!
Either way, I'll have those x statics at some point. I just hope they remain available, because now with the flat packs...I can't imagine how gratifying it is to see and hear a speaker you've built, if it already feels somewhat like that by just me putting the XO in, nevermind how much better it will sound!

But yea, the crossovers and norez really took these things to new heights. The center had some good bones to work with. It better for what it cost. I probably need to move in to my new home before having the appropriate amount of space for open baffles anyway. My main room is small at the moment, but I enjoyed this thread. It seems just as I suspected

Cblan1224

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2021, 05:56 pm »
I'm in the middle of rebuilding/upgrading a pair of AV123 X-statiks myself.

Hearing them before losing one to the Fedex refund process was a real treat, so I have no worries about how they'll sound once they're finish, esp with the upgrades I'm giving them, and burn-in process they're getting while I work on getting the cabinets finished.
I think they're about 100+ hours on the drivers/crossovers now?

But it's wild seeing how much better Danny's designs are. But until my XLS, the most expensive speaker is heard up to then were my $200 pair of powered monitors. My XLS destroy them in every category possible, but at the time, they were definitely better than my super basic 2.1 Logitech kit from around 2004?

I have no doubts that my XStatiks & NXStudios builds will put my XLS to shame. :P

But I'm definitely curious to hear about your alternative plans in the meantime as they progress! :thumb:
You're doing these too? Man, in 6-8 months I'll be calling you down to help with mine

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2021, 06:21 pm »
You're doing these too? Man, in 6-8 months I'll be calling you down to help with mine

Yup! I even managed to keep both of the stock crossover boards! Tho I've decided against using them & am going with a fully upgraded point to point kit w/ copper bypass caps.

I'll probably end up selling the OEM crossover boards fairly cheap and offering upgrades to whomever wants them for just a little over the cost of the parts & shipping.

Feel free to message me & ask any questions! I also have a thread thats detailing the process so far. I'm currently prepping the original cabinet for Norez, crossover installation, & finally several coats of lacquer.

WarmColors

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2021, 03:50 pm »
I have been waiting for NX Studio drivers to come in for several months also. If I did not buy the CNC cut boxes I would of just moved on also.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2021, 04:35 pm »
I believe I ordered my NXStudio flat pack just around the time the drivers went out of stock. I wanna say around mid August?

I'm still glad I built my XLS to give me some experience with the painting & soldering process. Cuz I couldn't quite afford the Studio kit yet, which I knew was going to be a slow process, thanks to going with raw veneer. I also finally got the 2nd speaker ready for touchups, so I should be able to get that finished this week, then i can start with the clear coat process for both of them.

Not to mention my X-Statik project... :lol:

So for me, it's kinda worked out that they still aren't available yet.
But my name's on the list for when they're back in stock.
(Plus according to Danny, the newer NQ woofers that are arriving offer a little smoother response than even the original models.)

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2021, 05:27 pm »
So, I’m not sure how this will be received, but my intentions are good! I don’t know this person, and did contact him about the speakers.

A guy some what local to me is selling an older set of AV1’s. I don’t know if you’ve pulled the trigger, and I don’t know if this is what you are looking for. I mean no disrespect and hope I don’t upset.

He’s asking 250.00

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/392588015323609/

All I’m doing is trying to help someone here have a pair of Danny’s speakers, that’s all! Maybe ask him about these and see what’s up first hand. I’m sure he would be happy to talk about them. I think!? Again, I apologize if I’ve upset. If you can not see this, I can get photos, I’m guessing even direct contact.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2021, 05:32 pm »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2021, 06:14 pm »
Those are pretty nice! Even got upgraded crossovers with foil inductors.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2021, 12:49 pm »
He’s asking 250.00. Which is not bad. I already tried trading him some parts for the speakers. They are his buddies, so he states. I’ll chat with you more in a bit... I think.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2021, 01:25 pm »
I guess I'll do my part to derail this thread further.
 Danny could say with certainty, but I don't remember him using the Hiquphon tweeter. I'm probably dating myself here, but there was a time when it was all the buzz in the audio community. I suppose it's possible he did some custom work, or that someone did it on their own. Could be an unknown quantity without some provenance.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2021, 03:07 pm »
Good catch, Peter, I thought that was odd since the AV series uses the T3 tweeter. But didn't know enough to say for sure, as I've only ever heard of the brand in passing.

Despite the nice foil unductors, it looks like there's possibly some performance to be gained, by upgrading the caps, resistors and wire. Assuming, of course, that the crossover already has had the proper adjustments made for the newer tweeter.

Theronbo

« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2021, 09:05 pm »
I’m certainly not insulted...

I’m looking to build these into the wall & ceiling.

Haven’t actually worked that part out.

Have to run speaker wire up to a 12’ ceiling & into an attic crawl space.  Not excited about that. Then build into rafters on 16” centers.

Back wall is attic. So easy, once the wires are there... using Best Buy Rocketfish device currently... for $30 speakers...

Building 2 pairs... rear & ceiling sets. Ceiling speakers ar3 fresh install. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2021, 09:15 pm »
Why not go for Danny's AV-1RS for surround speakers?

Bullitt5094

« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2021, 10:19 pm »
I built two pair that are in use in my daughters HT system. They work well. Only problem is... the components are also out of stock, apparently.

And as good as they are, they were the most difficult speaker I've ever built. Yet, I'm planning to build more. So what does that tell you?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 22 Mar 2021, 10:23 pm »
Yeah, the 8-Ohm M130 woofer has been out of stock for a while now, sadly.