BCD3.....shut down ?

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
BCD3.....shut down ?
« on: 3 Mar 2021, 01:41 am »
  I ran my BCD3 for a few hours today. The display widow suddenly read  "Shutting Down"..! Can anyone offer info on this ... This never happened before so I'm a bit miffed. I unplugged the unit and it seem to reset ok. I'm thinking perhaps it become too warm  from the 4b amp that is  two  shelves down..?  ? :scratch:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: BCD3.....shut down ?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2021, 08:59 pm »

...too warm from a 4B that is 2 shelves away from the player? are you sure?? sounds more like a software issue ?!?!
however, if it plays now without any problems...then the BCD is back to its usual performance, i would say.

may the sound be with you 8)

al.

tcmo

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2021, 10:28 pm »
Not exactly your issue, but my BCD3 showed an "IP address invalid" message upon start-up in Oct 2020.  My player is not nor has it ever been connected to the internet.  Bryston said to check on firmware updates but mine was current.  I would guess it is a random firmware or software glitch.  It has not repeated the message after it was unplugged from the wall and plugged in.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2021, 05:57 pm »
Hopefully it is a software issue that can be resolved without too much trouble.  One of the reasons I moved away from disc playback (I did own the BCD-1 when it first came out).  The software is typically written for the CD drive/mechanism by the player maufacturer and often the drives are manufactured by someone else and have a limited period of production (e.g. 7 years).  Probably part of the reason why a CD player manufacturer comes out with a new model as it likely doesn't make sense for them to devote resources to re-write software and retrofit another drive into the equation when they can design a new player with a more current drive mechanism and newer DACs.  I've owned some nice and expensive CD players over the years, and while I persoanally never had a problem (with things like a player, an electro-mechanical device, I tended to change them out more often than other things due to those factors and finally decided that a DAC I could live with long-term was better for my needs so that I could play back files), I've had friends who have had issues (a friend just got his non- Bryston player repair handled by the distributor and his wasn't a cheap player either and he was quite annoyed when it wouldn't read discs more and more) over the years and with articles like https://www.cnet.com/news/how-long-should-your-hi-fi-last-poll/#:~:text=CD%20players%20aren't%20as,to%2010%20years%20of%20service. -  I finally (about a decade or so back) decided to move away from physical media (something I thought I'd never do - but it's bad enough I have to deal with me breaking down :green:).  Hopefully you will have a quick fix.

redbook

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2021, 02:16 am »
  The shut down message disappeared after I unplugged it and a restarted it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2021, 02:32 am »
  The shut down message disappeared after I unplugged it and a restarted it.

Yes it sounds like a software hiccup to me.

james

redbook

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2021, 05:38 pm »
 Thanks  James.