Dave's H Frame Triple Servo Sub build begins

Dagoods

Dave's H Frame Triple Servo Sub build begins
« on: 8 Feb 2021, 03:48 pm »
I started this project back in December with a visit to Danny to upgrade the crossovers in my Maggie’s (1.6’s). Now I am deep into the build of H Frame triple servo subs. A huge thanks to Killian Smith who cut and assembled the H frames for me. Quality craftsmanship, listened to my requests,  kept me from making mistakes, and they were exactly what I had requested. I already have him working on a couple of other projects for me.

A few details of the plan. Covering the amp boxes and H Frames in cherry veneer, finish with a dark cherry stain, and clear lacquer. The speakers baffles with be painted a satin black.

The amp boxes were easy enough to build but I didn’t want to cut slots in the sides for ventilation. So I put spikes in the bottom of the box to raise them 1 1/2”. I installed a 40MM USB powered fan in each box. Added a thermal trigger (temp probe) with 4 preset trigger temperatures ( 84, 88, 92, and 96 degrees). So when the fans are needed they will come on and also shut off automatically. The amp boxes will set on butcher blocks (Killian’s making) behind the speakers.

So I will start it off with pictures of the amp boxes and will be posting pictures of the H frames soon. Once I get the veneer completed I will have something more to show.

More to come in a few days.

Here's a tease of the H frames.

RonP

Re: Dave's H Frame Triple Servo Sub build begins
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2021, 04:01 pm »
A great start so far!! Keep up the good work and keep us posted!  :thumb:

(also this reminds me I need to build the plate amp boxes I bought from Jay - totally forgot about the kit sitting in the corner  :o )

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2021, 04:13 pm »
Love those H-frames!!!

BTW -- you don't need the fans. My amp boxes lay flush on the floor (no spikes) and never get hot. The heat sinks are sufficient.

JTS410

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2021, 03:38 am »
Subscribing to this one....just placed my NX-Otica order tonight and will go for dual-subs tomorrow.

Dagoods

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2021, 11:02 pm »
Guys,

Thanks for the comments.  Wasn’t sure how hot the amps got so I was playing it safe on the fans. Only $20 each so not a huge investment.

Last night I almost finished the veneer on one of the cabinets. Just have the top and top edges to do and it will be done. Waiting on more veneer to arrive tomorrow.

My first time working with veneer. I have made several mistakes and learned a lot. I started with the back knowing I would make some mistakes and to minimize the visibility of my mistakes. I’ve also learned that quality of veneer is all over the place even from the same vendor. So far I have returned 5 sheets due to saw marks, splits, and glue on the surface of the veneer.

So tonight I will start some of the edge banding on the second cabinet. If all goes well I will be able to start staining next week.

Here are some pictures of my progress so far. The edge banding is so light hard to see in the picture.

turbinetodd

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2021, 11:47 am »
Nice work thanks for the pics and updates looking fwd to the finished product and your impressions on how they sound.

undertowogt1

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2021, 02:28 pm »
Looks very nice. Pretty sure this will be my next project with the Flat Packs. Looks like a lot of fun

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2021, 11:27 pm »
Looking good. I see we have similar taste in amp stands  :thumb:

Mike

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2021, 01:05 am »
Those are looking amazing!  :thumb:

Squeaks

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2021, 04:20 am »
I’m building the same exact setup. 1.6 and triples. No veneer though.  :popcorn:

Dagoods

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2021, 02:10 pm »
Looking good. I see we have similar taste in amp stands  :thumb:

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Was wondering where to post pictures of these. Great lead in for me.  :thumb:  Indeed! I bought walnut cutting board kits on Amazon and glued them together. Killian Smith ran them through the planer and I wiped them down with linseed oil. Black chrome spikes from parts express. Have less than $100 in each.

Since I have been so busy with the H frames I decided to have Killian do 2 blocks for the amp boxes to sit on. I live about 30 minutes from him and it's been great for getting things done and I saved a ton on shipping costs!

Dagoods

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2021, 02:39 pm »
I’m building the same exact setup. 1.6 and triples. No veneer though.  :popcorn:

Excellent! Good luck with your build. The veneer has been a real challenge.

Have you done the Maggie 1.6 crossover upgrade from Danny yet? If not put it on your list. At $232 it's one of the best upgrades you can do and you won't be disappointed. I'll be glad to help walk you through the steps of taking the sock and trim off the Maggie's. I also have information on the connections inside the Maggie that will help make it easy.

The difference was amazing. I upgraded one and did a side by side comparison. Night and day difference. It was like lifting a blanket off the speaker. More depth and clarity across the board. The highs had a rough fuzzy edge to them and the new crossovers eliminated it completely. As the caps have burned in I've noticed an increase in the bass and they have only gotten better.

Guess I should go to the crossover sticky and add mine to the list.

Here's a picture of one. I decided to have them external so I would not have to crowd them into the small space. I made the bases from leftover walnut I used for amp stands.

Dagoods

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2021, 02:54 pm »
Thanks guys for the kind comments!

I took the last couple of nights off waiting for more veneer to arrive. Well it got here yesterday and I was disappointed with the appearance. Don't know if it's normal but I don't care for the heavy saw marks. It will show up in the stain much more that it does in the picture below. It has a shine to it. So both sheets look the same and I am sending them back.

Fortunately I have another sheet for the sides of the second cabinet. Was waiting to see if the pattern on the new veneer was any better. So the second picture is of the veneer I will be applying tonight. I really like the pattern.

Bad veneer

Veneer for the second cabinet

Squeaks

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2021, 03:15 pm »
Excellent! Good luck with your build. The veneer has been a real challenge.

Have you done the Maggie 1.6 crossover upgrade from Danny yet? If not put it on your list. At $232 it's one of the best upgrades you can do and you won't be disappointed. I'll be glad to help walk you through the steps of taking the sock and trim off the Maggie's. I also have information on the connections inside the Maggie that will help make it easy.

The difference was amazing. I upgraded one and did a side by side comparison. Night and day difference. It was like lifting a blanket off the speaker. More depth and clarity across the board. The highs had a rough fuzzy edge to them and the new crossovers eliminated it completely. As the caps have burned in I've noticed an increase in the bass and they have only gotten better.

Guess I should go to the crossover sticky and add mine to the list.

Here's a picture of one. I decided to have them external so I would not have to crowd them into the small space. I made the bases from leftover walnut I used for amp stands.

I purchased everything just like you, Just waiting on it to arrive. I planned on outboard crossovers for the magnepans. Jay said he would start the cabinets soon. Probably be another month before the ball gets rolling, but I’m stoked. I’ll be watching your progress, and chiming in along side you.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2021, 07:33 pm »
Thanks Mike,

Was wondering where to post pictures of these. Great lead in for me.  :thumb:  Indeed! I bought walnut cutting board kits on Amazon and glued them together. Killian Smith ran them through the planer and I wiped them down with linseed oil. Black chrome spikes from parts express. Have less than $100 in each.

Since I have been so busy with the H frames I decided to have Killian do 2 blocks for the amp boxes to sit on. I live about 30 minutes from him and it's been great for getting things done and I saved a ton on shipping costs!

Nice. That's a smart way to do it. I got a couple rosewood slabs to make live edge amp stands out of. One of these days I'll actually get around to it. Before anybody gets a bright idea, don't send me a round-to-it  :green:

Dagoods

« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2021, 05:47 pm »
Had a productive weekend on the veneer. Got the veneer completed on both cabinets except for the tops. Out of veneer, ordered more last week. Looks like with the bad weather it won’t arrive until end of the week. So in the meantime will do a light sand and try to cleanup my mistakes as much as I can.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2021, 06:17 pm »
All looks amazing! Keep up the great work

AlexH

« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2021, 07:30 pm »
Those are coming alone nicely.

RonP

« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb 2021, 02:50 pm »
Had a productive weekend on the veneer.

Nice work/progress. And I'm glad to see you have proper supervision.  :D

Dagoods

« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2021, 03:56 pm »
The storms held me up waiting on delivery of the last sheet of veneer but last night I finished the veneer on both cabinets. My first time doing veneer and a few mistakes (character) along the way. Have learned a lot. Hope to start staining the cabinets tonight. Going to do them in dark cherry. Haven’t decided on 2 or 3 coats yet. Two coats shows a bit more of the grain. So will do 2 coats and post pictures for opinions.