Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #380 on: 11 Jan 2022, 12:43 pm »
Is the red light issue, or more generally a lack of communication between to he BR-20 and Roon, the reason Roon has not certified the BR-20? Recently, Danny of Roon indicated on their community pages that there were issues Bryston needed to fix.

HI

No it has to do with the way they want the volume bar on ROON to work with the volume control on the BR-20.

We are working on new software but that is a ways off.

james

rcarlbe

« Reply #381 on: 12 Jan 2022, 01:06 am »
That must be frustrating. BTW, I'm using and enjoying the BR-20 with Roon as my only means of playing music 40+ hrs a week with no issues.

spartana

« Reply #382 on: 12 Jan 2022, 12:40 pm »
Somehow I am lost with the whole ROON thing - I thought the BR 20 was ROON certified? Or did I mix something up?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #383 on: 12 Jan 2022, 01:07 pm »
Somehow I am lost with the whole ROON thing - I thought the BR 20 was ROON certified? Or did I mix something up?

There is ROON Bridge and ROON Certified. 

We use ROON Bridge which is open source - ROON Certified is something ROON offers that Officially Certifies the product.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #384 on: 13 Jan 2022, 05:13 pm »

MEMO: To All Concerned
SUBJECT: Rolling Stone BR-20 Best Product Award

January 2022

If you’re looking for the best possible way to hear your digital music, Bryston’s new BR-20 should be at the center of your home audio system.

The DAC (digital analog converter) can play high resolution audio at full quality with no conversion or compression necessary.

It has four HDMI inputs, two Toslink inputs, a pair of SPDIF inputs, and balanced audio inputs, so you should have no problem hooking up all of your equipment. The BR-20 also has a pair of single ended and analog inputs if you’re into vinyl. The analog and digital inputs have their own power supply to ensure the lowest amount of distortion possible.

You can play music stored on your computer by plugging it directly into this preamp using a USB cable. You can also stream music stored on a server by connecting the BR-20 to your home network with an Ethernet cable, and using Bryston’s custom-built software. We really like that this pre-amp has a lot of HDMI inputs, so you can connect a TV, SACD player or game console to it directly. It’s user-friendly features like this, that make the Bryston BR-20 more inviting for newcomers to high-end audio.

The Bryston BR-20 is a peerless preamplifier that will not only make your music sound incredible, but it’s guaranteed to work with the gear you already have. Whether you’re building a totally new audio system, or looking for a big upgrade, you can’t go wrong.

bokko

« Reply #385 on: 13 Jan 2022, 09:35 pm »
 :icon_twisted:
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2022, 09:42 pm by bokko »

jbuzas

« Reply #386 on: 14 Jan 2022, 03:11 am »
closing the Roon app and reopening does not fix the blinking red light for me. Do you mean restarting Roon server?

When I go into mybryston.com when the red light is blinking, it says to "powercycle" the BR-20, with a picture of the BR-20 unplugged.  This is all that has worked for me to stop the blinking red light.  I am getting the blinking light every 3 or 4 days now. 

When using Roon, sometimes the display of the BR-20 says "Roon Bridge".  Sometimes it says "Roon |"  and sometimes it just displays "--".   Strange. 

Definitely a few bugs to work on.

spartana

« Reply #387 on: 16 Jan 2022, 03:41 pm »
Hi,
Can somebody explain how to replace the batteries in the BR20 remote? I took out the 4 screws on both ends of the remote, looked inside and decided to not do anything unless I get a description from somewhere. To me it looks like one has to pull out the circuit board. Can that be?
Thanks,
Holger
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2022, 05:00 pm by spartana »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #388 on: 16 Jan 2022, 04:43 pm »
Yes pull out the circuit board to see the battery.

james

spartana

« Reply #389 on: 16 Jan 2022, 05:01 pm »
Thanks, James. Will do. Thought I better ask before causing damage.

bokko

« Reply #390 on: 16 Jan 2022, 11:19 pm »
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2022, 09:40 pm by bokko »

bokko

« Reply #391 on: 18 Jan 2022, 09:03 pm »

« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2022, 09:48 pm by bokko »

chrismercurio

« Reply #392 on: 20 Jan 2022, 02:37 am »
Hi,

I got a BR-20 some time ago and finally set it up yesterday. While it sounds great, it's a bit of a pain to play something via Tidal and I'm hoping that's just operator error on my part.

I use a MacBook Air to access the http://10.0.0.131/bryston/views/default.php# portal in conjunction with the Tidal app. If I want to listen to something, I find it in the Tidal app, add it to a playlist in the app and then find the playlist in the web interface.

As I said, it seems a bit clunky and I hope that's just me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris

bokko

« Reply #393 on: 20 Jan 2022, 08:39 pm »

mr_bill

« Reply #394 on: 20 Jan 2022, 10:21 pm »

The advantage of having AIR connected is also if you have Apple Music you can also play it back via BR-20 DAC. At which point I said bye to Tidal.

help, what does this sentence mean - I didn't follow what you meant by AIR connected

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #395 on: 20 Jan 2022, 10:32 pm »
I think he means AirPlay

james

bokko

« Reply #396 on: 21 Jan 2022, 01:27 am »

chrismercurio

« Reply #397 on: 21 Jan 2022, 04:49 am »
Hi,

Yes the USB connection would work. I added Tidal because of their supposedly higher bitrate availability though everything I have streamed has clocked in at 16/44.1kHz.

I've had Apple Music for years and prefer the interface.

Is there a trick on the Bryston or Tidal side to be able to stream at higher than CD res bitrate? (It sounds really good already, but better is worth the effort.)

Thank you!

Kindest regards,
Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #398 on: 21 Jan 2022, 12:48 pm »
Hi Chris

Tidal is limited to CD quality and Apple Music can do 192/24 but needs to be a wired connection - see my Bryston Newsletter on how to hook up your Ipad or Phone to the USB input.

james

chrismercurio

« Reply #399 on: 21 Jan 2022, 11:37 pm »
James,

Thanks! Does the same thing work with a MacBook Air, USB cable, and dongle for the computer or USB to USB 4 cable? (Air's have Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports) Alternatively, can a dongle and HDMI cable be used for the same thing?

I found the newsletters here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176688.0

Are their high res images somewhere as well?

Chris