Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #300 on: 31 Aug 2021, 12:12 am »
 :icon_twisted:
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2022, 09:44 pm by bokko »

steveoat

« Reply #302 on: 14 Sep 2021, 03:48 pm »
Hi James,

I ordered my BR-20 July 19th and still have not received it from my dealer.

When can I expect to receive it?

Bruce

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #303 on: 14 Sep 2021, 04:30 pm »
Hi James,

I ordered my BR-20 July 19th and still have not received it from my dealer.

When can I expect to receive it?

Bruce

Hi Bruce

We should be caught up on any orders already in house by the middle of October.

Sorry for the delay but  a lot of our parts are custom so it has been difficult getting some parts given the times.

james

steveoat

« Reply #304 on: 14 Sep 2021, 06:28 pm »
Thanks James

Looking forward to receiving it.

Bruce

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #305 on: 16 Sep 2021, 12:22 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BR-20 Review - Poland

September, 2021

HI Folks,

Review in Stereo Life Magazine in Poland on our BR-20

“Throughout the test, I was amazed at how much detail the BR-20 is able to extract from these deepest layers of my favorite recordings.

The effect is twofold - firstly, we gain the ability to listen to the smallest details without losing fluidity and musicality, and secondly, the sound, which is so rich in all sorts of nuances, we perceive as more authentic, tangible. There is a growing sense of participation in the event that takes place here and now, right in front of us. The BR-20 can be incredibly delicate and meticulous, but when the music demands it, it easily takes all of that experience to the next level, retaining the same micro-level care, but adding to it the freedom to manipulate pulses on a macro scale.

To put it another way, in many devices we use a potentiometer not to increase the volume level, because we need it and we want to add it sharply to the furnace, but so that the sound takes the right shapes - so that we can accurately hear all the details that were recorded during the recording. Often, without turning the knob to the right, this is impossible, because at low volume levels these nuances are masked, the music does not have adequate clout, and of all its richness only a miserable plumping remains.

Bryston turns this pattern upside down, because during relatively quiet listening we get practically everything we should. The potentiometer in the BR-20 actually works like a sound scaling instrument that remains just as rich, vibrant and curious. If we want to listen louder, it will only be our choice, and not an obligation resulting from the fact that at a lower level of control, the sound is flat, fine and devoid of depth.

The BR-20 is further proof that devices of this type - no matter whether we call them streamers with good volume control or preamplifiers with a converter and network functions - work even in hi-end, heavily pampered stereo systems, sometimes even making buying a separate preamplifier meaningless.”

Clive197

« Reply #306 on: 25 Sep 2021, 10:40 am »
I’m still having a small problem when coming out of stand-by on my BR-20.
The streamer won’t lock-on. The red light flashes and won’t stop. If I go into settings I get a message with a little picture telling me to recycle power by unplugging and then replacing. This happens every 5-6 days.
Is anybody else experiencing this?

emcallaway

« Reply #307 on: 5 Oct 2021, 04:38 pm »
Clive, I have had that issue, though not as regularly as you describe.  I've also had the issue someone described earlier with the BR-20 not keeping "MPD" selected, so I have to go in and re-select it in order to stream music.  Neither problem is affecting me today, so I hesitate to say anything for fear of jinxing it!  I can't wait for Roon certification.  The sound and design of this unit is great, but I find Manic Moose (both its dashboard and the media player) to be clunky and have slow responses.  - Ed

jbuzas

« Reply #308 on: 5 Oct 2021, 10:51 pm »
yeah, my BR-20 is gathering dust until it is certified by Roon.   that is my fault for buying it before that happened.  I guess the BR-20 is not really a streamer in that it doesn't have wifi built in, and as far as I know it doesn't have chromecast or airplay (please correct me if I am wrong).  Bryston does not market it as a streamer but as a preamp/dac, which is fair and accurate.   anyway, I'll be very excited if/when it gets Roon certified. 

aleduc

« Reply #309 on: 6 Oct 2021, 01:42 pm »
Hello James,

I'm impatiently waiting for my BR-20, looking forward to getting it!  I have a question regarding outputs.  I am using SVS subs that require an RCA output and the BHA-1 that require an XLR output.  How can I plug both using the single XLR output that is available?  A dual XLR to XLR and RCA splitter?  Maybe if the BR-20's headphone amplifier is comparable in quality to the BHA-1, I won't need the latter anymore...

Thanks,

Alain

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #310 on: 6 Oct 2021, 06:20 pm »
HI Alain

The outputs are in parallel so they can be mixed and matched but you have to use them in pairs.

I would say wit till you hear the headphone section and decide - I think you will find it exceptional.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #311 on: 8 Oct 2021, 06:15 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BR-20 – Stellar Award!

October, 2021

REVIEW COMING SOON ON THE EVERYTHING AUDIO WEBSITE

"In extensive listening to the Bryston BR-20, its performance is no surprise. It adheres to Bryston’s tried-and-true approach to hi-fi products — clean, super accurate and, I might add, highly flexible.

Combining a high-performance preamp, DAC and Hi-Res streamer with optional HDMI and phono preamp, the BR-20 is the complete, high-end playback solution in terms of analog and digital control. All you need is an amp (consider the Bryston 14B) and speakers that match the BR-20’s transparent persona, and you will hear the full resolution and detail from the best of digital and analog recordings. Lifelike dynamic range, extremely low noise and precise imaging.

Oh yeah, it looks like a million bucks in silver. Of course, the Bryston BR-20 gets our Everything Audio Stellar Sound Award.

If you want the one-stop high-end preamp/DAC/streamer/solution, it has to be on your contender list."

John Gatski
 Publisher/Editor
 Everything Audio Network

P.S. With Bryston having lineage in pro, these are the products to have if you want to realism in Hi-Res.  I am so spoiled by the BR-20, I can no longer listen to pre's and amp's that products idle hiss in speakers.

If it ain't quiet, I don’t want it.

Castor_troy75

« Reply #312 on: 14 Oct 2021, 01:27 am »
Hi James,

I excited when I heard BR-20 is coming out so I placed my order immediately it was last December-2020 and hoping that I will get it by March-2020.  But upto there still no definite date when I get my order.  I understand this COVID-19 affects the delay of the deliveries but I’ve been waiting for almost a year.

If you need info regarding my order kindly send me a pm and I will give you all the details you need.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks,
Castor

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #313 on: 14 Oct 2021, 11:08 am »
Hi James,

I excited when I heard BR-20 is coming out so I placed my order immediately it was last December-2020 and hoping that I will get it by March-2020.  But upto there still no definite date when I get my order.  I understand this COVID-19 affects the delay of the deliveries but I’ve been waiting for almost a year.

If you need info regarding my order kindly send me a pm and I will give you all the details you need.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks,
Castor

Hi Castor

Yes please email me at jamestanner@bryston.com

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator

Castor_troy75

« Reply #315 on: 4 Nov 2021, 02:54 am »
Hi James,

According to one of the technician I know it’s not ideal to use XLR to RCA cable and I’m planning to use one of the XLR output for my sub woofer. Will there be an issue if I use the said cable?

Thanks,
Castor

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #316 on: 4 Nov 2021, 02:36 pm »
Hi James,

According to one of the technician I know it’s not ideal to use XLR to RCA cable and I’m planning to use one of the XLR output for my sub woofer. Will there be an issue if I use the said cable?

Thanks,
Castor

The only issue will be that the Sub signal will not be balanced but single ended.  You may notice a reduction in output level but you can usually account for that with the Gain control on the Sub or the processor.

james

Castor_troy75

« Reply #317 on: 10 Nov 2021, 02:36 pm »
Hello

I just got my BR-20 and I noticed that if my source is from the laptop, when I increase or decrease the volume using the remote it seems that it’s not working.  The display in BR-20 didn’t change at all. And sometimes even from the unit itself the display didn’t change.

Thanks for your reply…

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #318 on: 10 Nov 2021, 05:47 pm »
Hello

I just got my BR-20 and I noticed that if my source is from the laptop, when I increase or decrease the volume using the remote it seems that it’s not working.  The display in BR-20 didn’t change at all. And sometimes even from the unit itself the display didn’t change.

Thanks for your reply…

Hi

Please email - atanner@bryston.com

Simm

« Reply #319 on: 18 Nov 2021, 12:57 am »
For a Preamp of this quality a Moving Coil cartridge provision would be better appriclated then MM. There might not be room for such an addition, but it is a feature one would expect. Maybe another preamp?