Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #20 on: 4 Oct 2020, 07:35 pm »
James,

5995$ is without HDMI card? if so, how much is the HDMI option?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 4 Oct 2020, 09:51 pm »
James,

5995$ is without HDMI card? if so, how much is the HDMI option?

al.

Still working on that.

james

Sasha

« Reply #22 on: 5 Oct 2020, 02:58 pm »
Hi James,

If I understand correctly the unit can be had without phono stage (optional) and with HDMI card, for 5995$ USD + whatever $ for HDMI (TBD)?

Do you know when you will have pricing and when orders could be placed?

Thanks,
Sasha

Sasha

« Reply #23 on: 5 Oct 2020, 03:02 pm »
Hi James,

One more question, can the HDMI card be added later, and can it be done by end user?

Thanks,
Sasha

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 5 Oct 2020, 04:00 pm »
Hi James,

If I understand correctly the unit can be had without phono stage (optional) and with HDMI card, for 5995$ USD + whatever $ for HDMI (TBD)?

Do you know when you will have pricing and when orders could be placed?

Thanks,
Sasha

Hi Sasha

The options are the HDMI card and the MM Phono which are extra - still working on that. 

The HDMI and the Phono are modular so I assume it can be retrofitted later.

I believe the pricing is going out this week.

james

Jozsef

« Reply #25 on: 5 Oct 2020, 09:01 pm »
Hi

Yes as a tribute to Brian we are renaming the BP18 to the BR-20.

james
That's a very touching gesture. It kinda got to me, I must admit.

alexone

« Reply #26 on: 5 Oct 2020, 09:33 pm »

That's a very touching gesture. It kinda got to me, I must admit.

...you are right, Jozsef.

al.

NorthMac

« Reply #27 on: 6 Oct 2020, 01:12 am »
This seems to have moved through development and testing very quickly... a testament to the up front engineering. So congratulations to Bryston, and hope the orders start to come in.  I could be one.... still with my first gen BDP/BDA combo, so I could be tempted by an upgraded system while losing two boxes.

I know the loss of Brian Russell will have hit hard on a company as small and tight as Bryston.  Along with my condolences, a hope as well that the company can emerge from any eventual changes even stronger. 

GeAllan70

« Reply #28 on: 7 Oct 2020, 06:48 pm »
 :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator

NorthMac

« Reply #30 on: 8 Oct 2020, 03:31 pm »
https://bryston.com/

Just looking at the website James, and I'm wondering if the BR20 is kind of "lost" in the preamp section.  I know that this kind of all-in-one poses challenges in what to call it (and Bryston chose to label it a preamp rather than continue the labelling suggested by the 3.14 and call it a Streamer / DAC / Preamp), and where to classify it, but my thinking is that if I am new to Bryston, and looking for a one box digital front end solution, I would likely look in your "digital" section first... I might not think to look in the tab labelled Preamp - and I would not see the BR20.    Another way to look at it, is that the BR20 is mostly a digital device, more so than classic analog preamps.   So perhaps keep it in the Preamp tab, but cross-list it in the Digital section as well.   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 8 Oct 2020, 03:57 pm »
Just looking at the website James, and I'm wondering if the BR20 is kind of "lost" in the preamp section.  I know that this kind of all-in-one poses challenges in what to call it (and Bryston chose to label it a preamp rather than continue the labelling suggested by the 3.14 and call it a Streamer / DAC / Preamp), and where to classify it, but my thinking is that if I am new to Bryston, and looking for a one box digital front end solution, I would likely look in your "digital" section first... I might not think to look in the tab labelled Preamp - and I would not see the BR20.    Another way to look at it, is that the BR20 is mostly a digital device, more so than classic analog preamps.   So perhaps keep it in the Preamp tab, but cross-list it in the Digital section as well.

Good point!

In fact one of the discussions I had with Gary was he felt it should be an Analog preamp first (due to it's new analog circuit design) and I felt it should be considered a Digital product - but maybe your right - its both!

james

edmiston

« Reply #32 on: 8 Oct 2020, 07:12 pm »
Dare we hope for a multichannel version to replace the SP-3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 8 Oct 2020, 08:50 pm »
Dare we hope for a multichannel version to replace the SP-3?

Hi

No plans on the SP3 front.

james

zoom25

« Reply #34 on: 8 Oct 2020, 09:57 pm »
I really want to know where it fits in terms of SQ among latest separates BDA-3 + BDP-3 + BP+17 cubed combo vs. BDA-3.14 all-in-one. vs old+new separates combo (eg. BDP-1+BDA-3+ BP17 or BHA-1).

(I agree that this product and the BDA-3.14 shouldn't be missed out on by newcomers due to improper exclusion/inclusions in categories.)

James Tanner

• Facilitator

zoom25

« Reply #36 on: 9 Oct 2020, 01:38 am »
Great video!

Skip to 13:10 for beginning of preamp chat (BP 17 cubed, BP26, and the BR-20). It goes on until the 28 minute mark about technical stuff and SQ difference. After that, it's about cost/value, Roon, MPD, downsizing BR2 compatibility and remote inclusion etc.

I think the other person initially had the sound presentation of the BP17 cubed and BP26 backwards, but then Gary got it right? What Gary said sounds similar to what James has said. The BP-26 is more dynamic and forward, while the BP-17 cubed is more holographic and 3D. The thing that confused me was when Gary said that the BP26 has the lower noise floor of the two (BP-17) by a few dBs. Is that true? I thought I remember reading from James that the BP17 has the newer tech and lower noise, which lets you hear the music in a more relaxed way and it feels less dynamic because it doesn't get strained. Can you guys clear that up?

Second interesting point from the video was that the preamp section of the BR-20 measured (and sounded?) better than both the BP-26 and BP-17 cubed, if they were to sell that preamp portion of the BR-20 separately. A couple of questions about that.

1) How would you describe the sound and presentation of the BR-20? Is it like BP-17 cubed or BP-26 or in the middle or something else?

2) While the BR-20 does have the best measuring preamp among the 3 preamps, however, when you start including the other digital things such as the DAC and Pi4 streaming board into the same chassis, does the BR-20 still measure (and/or sound better) than the combination of the slightly inferior BP-26 and BP-17 preamps paired with separate external DAC and BDPs?

My question is: If I'm after ultimate SQ, and cost or space is not an issue, what do I get?

(Also, for this case let's take out other things such as polarity, balance dial out of the picture or as a factor/feature required that can sway the decision. XLR in, XLR out. Basic stuff. That's all that matters.)

Do I go for the BR-20 and pair it with external amps or active monitors directly, or is separates still the king in SQ.

Thanks!  :thumb:  :popcorn:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 9 Oct 2020, 12:46 pm »
Hi Zoom

How come you always put me on the spot!!! :lol:

I think the main difference between designing products these days vs days of yore is the ability to use surface mount components. In days passed circuit parts typically were what we call hole-through and parts utilized were large in size and took up a fair amount of geography. So placing lets say a phono stage in the same box as a discrete Class A preamplifier circuit used up a lot of real-estate and you had to be very careful about proximity of circuit paths to prevent electronic bleed-through, hum etc.

Today with surface mount technology you can place circuits and power supplies reasonably close together and still maintain excellent electronic separation. So the ability to design and build products that rival the performance of separates is a much easier task. So I think the BR-20 represents our first effort at providing our customers with a product that approaches the lofty goals of separates. It is also the first preamp we have designed that offers a fully balanced circuit path from input to output which does have some advantages performance wise.

So I guess my advice would be choose the product based on the feature set you feel meets todays and tomorrows needs.  For example, if you already have a great streamer or DAC then the BP-20 would be the wrong choice and the BP17 or the BP26 would be the better choice. Same if you have a great preamp already the BDA-3DAC or the BDP3.14 streamer/DAC would be the best option. If you look at the BDP-3 Digital Player for example vs the Pi built into the 3.14 or the BR-20 the BDP-3 is a far more powerful process and far more capable of handling large libraries, offers much fasted load times, has more features like internal hard drive, possible ROON server (fingers crossed) etc.

alexone

« Reply #38 on: 9 Oct 2020, 01:22 pm »
James,

would it be doable to make the BR 20 an integrated amp??

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 9 Oct 2020, 02:16 pm »
James,

would it be doable to make the BR 20 an integrated amp??

al.

Hi Al

Yes we have thought about that but nothing immediately planned.

james