Why do many speakers measure so poorly?

newzooreview

Re: Why do many speakers measure so poorly?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2023, 09:53 pm »
If you look at a DSP-controlled loudspeaker like the Buchardt A700, they ship the speaker with a flat anechoic response (with an estimated in-room response that has a linear downward slope). This is meant to match the empirically preferred response described in Floyd Toole's work.

However, they also provide "Mastertunings" to change the DSP to make the speaker sound warm, the midrange more forward, or a response that measures poorly in free space but will work well against a wall. They also offer Mastertunings to bring the high frequencies down a bit if the room has a high RT60 to provide some bit of relief where treatments are not an option.

So, in addition to cost-cutting (profit-maximizing) or poor knowledge about using measurement tools, some companies are aiming to serve people with a range of preferences or needs, however niche.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2023, 10:14 pm »
It's all a balance of tradeoffs, even with full-range drivers.
There is pro-audio Full Range drivers with hi power handling for large rooms or people want sound impact, no audiophile price.

Freo-1

« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2023, 10:20 pm »
The Devialet Expert Pro has a couple of DSP options available.  First, the Speaker Active Matching (SAM) smooths out and extend the lower frequency band from 150 Hz on down for supported speakers, of which there currently 1143 or more models.  Second, there is the Intelligent Cinema Mode (ICM), which modifies the frequency response curve to provide more energy in the presence range. Works very well with both video programs and music at lower listening levels. 

Freo-1

« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2023, 10:22 pm »
There is pro-audio Full Range drivers with hi power handling for large rooms or people want sound impact, no audiophile price.

Yes, BUT, with too much frequency deviations. 

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2023, 10:35 pm »
Market research has determined that "Full Range" can command a 20% premium over "Coaxial".   :green:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 11 Nov 2023, 10:53 pm »

Yes, BUT, with too much frequency deviations.
Much smaller than cross-over phase rotation or components heat losses.

toocool4

« Reply #26 on: 12 Nov 2023, 12:31 pm »
What you're saying works fine for most people. The stock radio in my car sounds good to me, but as an audiophile, good is never good enough. The main rig has to exceed my expectations of what good music sounds like.   

I am talking as an audiophile and not calling any bog-standard anything good, I have listened to plenty of good to excellent speakers / systems to know what sounds good. I don’t settle for average, so yes my way works for me. I am very demanding of what I spend my money on, which is why I take no one’s word for it. I must always listen for myself.

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2023, 05:42 pm »
Much smaller than cross-over phase rotation or components heat losses.

Some of those larger "full range" drivers have a LOT of inductance rise. That can cause just as much phase shift as most crossovers.

Also, most (if not nearly all) "full range drivers" need passive filter correction for a rising response, baffle step loss, and ringing or break up.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 13 Nov 2023, 11:50 pm »
Some of those larger "full range" drivers have a LOT of inductance rise. That can cause just as much phase shift as most crossovers.

Also, most (if not nearly all) "full range drivers" need passive filter correction for a rising response, baffle step loss, and ringing or break up.
Sincerelly from the 1970s that I follow audio, I have never heard of large cones causing eletric inductance and subsequently phase shift (another electrical phenomenon), but I happy that are just some.

The DIYers or manufacturers who don't know how to muffle the driver excessive response in a boxed cabinet, proudly use what most commercial manufacturers usually use, an electric filter that will modify the musical signal (which they call passive).
Sorry for disturb your Circle.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov 2023, 11:56 pm »
Sincerelly from the 1970s that I follow audio, I have never heard of large cones causing eletric inductance and subsequently phase shift (another electrical phenomenon), but I happy that are just some.

Look at the impedance curve of any full range driver. Do you see a rising response as frequency increases? That shift in impedance causes a shift in phase.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 14 Nov 2023, 01:36 am »
Look at the impedance curve of any full range driver. Do you see a rising response as frequency increases? That shift in impedance causes a shift in phase.
Yes this happen with all speakers, no only FR drivers, but its a slow gradual change in a welldone driver, which is benign for the human ear in my experience with FR drivers, as example of gradual phase is the Beyma 5MP60/N that I have the PDF, unfortunately the cone are polypropilene not paper, maybe paper cone could be more the case you are referring. Anyway after 4kHz there is few musical notes, most content are harmonics.

77SunsetStrip

« Reply #31 on: 14 Nov 2023, 06:57 pm »
Yes this happen with all speakers, no only FR drivers, but its a slow gradual change in a welldone driver, which is benign for the human ear in my experience with FR drivers, as example of gradual phase is the Beyma 5MP60/N that I have the PDF, unfortunately the cone are polypropilene not paper, maybe paper cone could be more the case you are referring. Anyway after 4kHz there is few musical notes, most content are harmonics.

What exactly are the materials, construction, and specifications that define a well done driver?  Benign to the human ear is a subjective judgement.  What is the relevance of few musical notes above 4 kHZ?  Are you saying no speaker really needs to play above 4 kHZ?

Jaytor

« Reply #32 on: 14 Nov 2023, 09:39 pm »
The best single-driver full-range speakers I've heard are the Songer Audio S1 with Ken Songer's field coil drivers. I usually prefer Ken's S2 speakers which are open baffle and use a separate woofer, but the S1 (in a ported enclosure) sounded fabulous at Capital Audio Fest this past weekend. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 14 Nov 2023, 11:28 pm »
What exactly are the materials, construction, and specifications that define a well done driver?  Benign to the human ear is a subjective judgement.  What is the relevance of few musical notes above 4 kHZ?  Are you saying no speaker really needs to play above 4 kHZ?
What exactly are the materials, construction, and specifications that define a well done driver?
As audiophile I have my personal taste:
= Alu Basket
= Alnico 5 magnet
= Paper cone, unfortunately pc have strong response after 2kHz
= Accordion surround
= Low Rms
= Low Mms
= Hi Qts for OB
= Hi efficiency no %
I have my preference on construction and specifications but as I not a engineer I will let these items to Danny address you.

What is the relevance of few musical notes above 4 kHZ?
Grand piano goes 4186Hz, Hammond B3 around 5200Hz, these treble area and up have musical harmonics from the low notes that made acoustic piano sound so rich, it can reach 10kHz according I was told.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2023, 06:33 am by FullRangeMan »

jmimac351

« Reply #34 on: 14 Nov 2023, 11:47 pm »
Anyway after 4kHz there is few musical notes, most content are harmonics.

"HalfRangeMan"?   :green:

Early B.

« Reply #35 on: 15 Nov 2023, 01:10 am »
"HalfRangeMan"?   :green:

That's funny, but it's also intriguing when it comes to speaker preferences. There are some people who either can't hear highs or highly sensitive to highs, or prefer not to hear the higher parts of the highs. On the other end of the spectrum, there are people with bookshelf speakers who prefer not to have a sub because they believe it adversely impacts sound quality.

jmimac351

« Reply #36 on: 15 Nov 2023, 01:43 am »
On the other end of the spectrum, there are people with bookshelf speakers who prefer not to have a sub because they believe it adversely impacts sound quality.

And the smart money is a "Bookshelf" 2-way, high pass filter, and adjustable sub.  But who wants to brag about that!?!

Well... quite a few people seem interested in a "bookshelf" speaker on the YouToobs...  :green:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 15 Nov 2023, 06:49 am »
In the 1980s US magazines mentioned some UK brands had the England flavor speakers, no highs no lows, later associated to Bose.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #38 on: 15 Nov 2023, 12:15 pm »
In the 1980s US magazines mentioned some UK brands had the England flavor speakers, no highs no lows, later associated to Bose.

The "British sound" or the "BBC curve" of the last century was U shaped frequency response with a boost in the bass and treble and a dip through the midrange.

twitch54

« Reply #39 on: 15 Nov 2023, 05:18 pm »
I think a lot of them simply calculate some values, price it out as cheaply as possible, and see if it hits their price points. Accuracy is lower on the priority list.

ah yes, let the Marketing Dept take over from their with their creative BS !!