Fun With Speaker Design

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Fun With Speaker Design
« on: 3 Aug 2020, 09:13 pm »
Just so i don't get sidetracked on my Neo 3 thread, I'm gunna have a separate thread for brainstorming speakers ideas, loosely around Danny's design themes & current drivers.

This is all about having fun, so feel free to make suggestions, and other interesting design ideas, no matter how crazy or silly they may end up being! :P

Here's where the concept for this thread started:

An MTM derived concept of the NX Studio with a side-opened wave guide

And in the desire to create a matching sealed Servo sub it has gone thru a couple ideas. Before settling on a more wedge shape reminecent of the NX-Otica, allowing for mounting of the plate amp

When I get home tonight, I share the standalone MTM and Center channels I worked on yesterday.

hawkeyejw

Re: Fun With Speaker Design
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2020, 10:31 pm »
These are cool, Hobbs. Has anyone done an NX series MMTMM center chanel design to pair with NX-Oticas?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2020, 10:49 pm »
These are cool, Hobbs. Has anyone done an NX series MMTMM center chanel design to pair with NX-Oticas?
Thanks!
Not yet, but I did sketch up a design based on that idea a few months ago for SonicJoy that are somewhat in the same vein.

And will be something I work on in the near future :P

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2020, 11:14 pm »
Nice creativity on that one. I've been thinking of something along those lines for a while myself.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2020, 12:16 am »
Thanks Danny! that was definitely a fun thread! :thumb:

Ok, here's the MTM Bookshelves and matching Center channel:

With all panels:

Rough measurements:

A close up of the horizontal and vertical wave guide section

This is not a simple design by any means. it could be made simpler tho by keeping the open porting more square so that can be an option to work on as well.
Well that was easy.. :P

hawkeyejw

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2020, 01:45 am »
Very cool!

rolyb

• Love my vintage Hi-Fi
    • My IT Business in CH
« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2020, 03:53 pm »
Just so i don't get sidetracked on my Neo 3 thread, I'm gunna have a separate thread for brainstorming speakers ideas, loosely around Danny's design themes & current drivers.

This is all about having fun, so feel free to make suggestions, and other interesting design ideas, no matter how crazy or silly they may end up being! :P

Here's where the concept for this thread started:

An MTM derived concept of the NX Studio with a side-opened wave guide

Cool.   :thumb:

roscoe65

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2020, 05:26 pm »
I would be really interested in this.  The Studio Monitor might be enough for me, but the extra midbass and efficiency would be welcome.  Turning it into a small floorstander would be perfect and would make it easy to integrate with [my] sealed subwoofers.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2020, 06:43 pm »
I would be really interested in this.  The Studio Monitor might be enough for me, but the extra midbass and efficiency would be welcome.  Turning it into a small floorstander would be perfect and would make it easy to integrate with [my] sealed subwoofers.
Yeah! The extra mid-bass extension & effeciency was the main goal of this design. As well as allowing for a potentially wider soundstage even when pushed up close to the walls. I imagine it might lose some depth in such a position, but should still help with the dreaded "wife acceptance factor." :P

Really makes me wish i had wood working tools & skills to build out a test kit. The tricky part would be the waveguide & rear slope.
But the idea is that the waveguide & slope are made separately from the cabinet & glued in between the remaining segments of the front & rear baffle. To make them a tad easier to assemble.

And of course, the crossover will hide beneath the slop, or at either bottom end in the vertical setups.

The only other way to make the design easier would be to 3D print a front wave guide that can just be flush mounted into the baffle same as the BG neo mounts in Danny's older designs, only deeper, so it can be rotated depending on orientation.. but I'll save that for my other thread. :p

Creative cut designs

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2020, 01:51 am »
These are very creative and would love to hear them ,very cool!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2020, 02:22 am »
Thanks! It's definitely been fun exploration, and I'd love to hear these too! Even if its just a rough prototype.
But maybe one day i can make that dream come true. :P

I've been working on a couple ideas.

First is a "mini" NX-treme with the top & bottom pairs of woofers removed. Designed to sit on a standard sealed 12" sub, or using different braces could be modified into a center channel?

Next will be the same line array, but with the 12" sealed sub built into the side of the cabinet. The plate amp built into the rear of the cabinet. Ill try to finish those tonight or tomorrow

Jmitchell3

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2020, 03:25 am »
Realistically for the “floorstander” i think it would have to integrate some measure of OB bass like a single or dual 8” ob and or servo woofers to begin to solve existing issues, as both nx oticas, nxtremes, and nx studios really need subs to compliment and fill out their sound. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 6 Aug 2020, 03:47 am »
Well the Floorstander is essentially an NX-Otica with 2 of its bottom woofers moved to the top. (See the design of the far-right desing on the sketch page I shared in a previous comment)
So while it won't quite have the same tonal quality of the H-frame, a built in servo sub should still give it plenty of fast, detailed bass.

In order to keep the design aesthetic, you would need to do some unusual design work to get OB servo subs to fit, but its a largely fruitless effort. With the shape of the Otica & NXtreme, a 12" woofer can only fire sideways. It wont be as effective as it would be in an H-frame
The 8" subs might be workable, but it will take a lot more skill to make them look good.

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2020, 06:06 pm »

An MMTMM won't work, we've    tried this  ( see the original develpment of the NX_Treme's).  However,   doing a modified NXMTM   on it's side  right now for a  customer... it'll be a center  channel    being flanked by  an NX-Trem on either  side 

jay

hawkeyejw

« Reply #14 on: 6 Aug 2020, 06:26 pm »
An MMTMM won't work, we've    tried this  ( see the original develpment of the NX_Treme's).  However,   doing a modified NXMTM   on it's side  right now for a  customer... it'll be a center  channel    being flanked by  an NX-Trem on either  side 

jay

Interesting, thanks Jay. I'll check out the discussion in that thread.

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 6 Aug 2020, 06:36 pm »
Yeah! The extra mid-bass extension & effeciency was the main goal of this design. As well as allowing for a potentially wider soundstage even when pushed up close to the walls. I imagine it might lose some depth in such a position, but should still help with the dreaded "wife acceptance factor." :P

Really makes me wish i had wood working tools & skills to build out a test kit. The tricky part would be the waveguide & rear slope.
But the idea is that the waveguide & slope are made separately from the cabinet & glued in between the remaining segments of the front & rear baffle. To make them a tad easier to assemble.

And of course, the crossover will hide beneath the slop, or at either bottom end in the vertical setups.

The only other way to make the design easier would be to 3D print a front wave guide that can just be flush mounted into the baffle same as the BG neo mounts in Danny's older designs, only deeper, so it can be rotated depending on orientation.. but I'll save that for my other thread. :p

Pretty cool  Hobs.   With regards to the waveguides, wait until you  start prototyping/ testing them.... you're going to find every little  change you  make   changes the response, some more than others.  We've done  so many prototypes trying to get them  "right" it did pay off ..... I still think  the ones we cut into  the numerous   baffle designs we do  are the best  Danny  has measured.  The  1"  version in the  Super 7 / Super  Mini is   pretty cool  but  was more difficult to  get  the  response  you  see in the various threadds

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 6 Aug 2020, 06:51 pm »
Pretty cool  Hobs.   With regards to the waveguides, wait until you  start prototyping/ testing them.... you're going to find every little  change you  make   changes the response, some more than others.  We've done  so many prototypes trying to get them  "right" it did pay off ..... I still think  the ones we cut into  the numerous   baffle designs we do  are the best  Danny  has measured.  The  1"  version in the  Super 7 / Super  Mini is   pretty cool  but  was more difficult to  get  the  response  you  see in the various threadds

jay

Thanks Jay!

I believe it! It will likely be loosely based on the standard NX design, to make it compatible with current designs. ill probably try to design a couple different versions to see how each variety affects the response curve. The trick will be to make them thick enough to ensure that that they can be sanded down to make adjustments and continue testing. Its the journey that makes the process more fun!

I'm definitely going to be getting my own printer by the end of the year, so I can do the prints & test ideas on the fly as well as some woodshop tools for cabinet construction.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #17 on: 6 Aug 2020, 07:16 pm »

jay

I see, there were cancellation issues due to the crossover point from the Neo 3 to the NX's when the additional woofers were added. In the version you're doing, is the crossover from the Neo to the NX's at the same point, with the NX's simply asked to play all the way down to the bottom of the speaker's response? I was thinking about something 3-way similar to the X-Voce, though I'm not sure whether that would work in a full open baffle to match the NX-Otica. Either way, I'm definitely interested to see more information about how the custom "NX-Center" you're building performs once it's done.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 6 Aug 2020, 07:24 pm »
I'm kinda surprised about the cancellation issues, but distance is always a factor, since there is a limit to wavelengths before they fall out of phase, & cancel or peak.. so i wonder if the same holds true if you separate them to 3way designs, keeping the mids closer together, and letting the woofers play lower..

I imagine a X-Voce style is also possible... But since most vocal ranges fall between mids and tweeters, its probably easier to just let the mids play down as low as they're capable via an MTM model..

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 8 Aug 2020, 11:18 am »
Ended up going to bed super early last night, so i never got around to finishing this design, so i got it finished early this morning instead. :P

Pretty happy with how it turned out, tbh.
The sealed sub-woofer section is about 20" deep and 14"tall to maintain for the 1.6 cu.ft. volume required.

Here's a separates version of the same concept, tho i didn't include the amp plate cut-out in this version.