GR Research - X-voce and x-static crossover upgrades

MLTDC

• New to the DIY audio world
I need a lot of help. I am a complete newbie to audio electronics.  I am building/upgrading the crossovers for the GR Research.  I am having difficulty with adding the new sonic apps to the pre stamped board because the wire gauge is too large for the holes in the board.  How do attachment the new caps? Drill the hole larger? Solder on a smaller gauge wire?  I know this sounds totally ignorant but I can build a car although I know nothing about electronics.  I need a lot of hand holding for
My first go.  If anyone has a minute I would appreciate a walk through on upgrading my crossover board

Michael

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: GR Research - X-voce and x-static crossover upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2020, 08:08 pm »
Not to criticize but you seem to be a noob at internet forums as well.  You may want to edit your post by taking out those pics that show your full name and address.

As for the crossover boards, if the sonicap leads don't fit then you can use a small drill bit to widen the holes.  I think I used a 1/16" bit. 

Here's how I did mine.

X-Statiks

X-Voce  - I moved the crossover to the middle section because I liked looking at it.  The smaller black caps are Sonicap Platinum bypass caps.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2020, 12:44 am by corndog71 »

MLTDC

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2020, 09:44 pm »
I need a lot of help. I am a complete newbie to audio electronics.  I am building/upgrading the crossovers for the GR Research.  I am having difficulty with adding the new sonic apps to the pre stamped board because the wire gauge is too large for the holes in the board.  How do attachment the new caps? Drill the hole larger? Solder on a smaller gauge wire?  I know this sounds totally ignorant but I can build a car although I know nothing about electronics.  I need a lot of hand holding for
My first go.  If anyone has a minute I would appreciate a walk through on upgrading my crossover board

Michael

MLTDC

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2020, 09:46 pm »
Thank for your input and assistance

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2020, 11:34 pm »
Not to criticize but you seem to be a noob at internet forums as well.  You may want to edit your post by taking out those pics that show your full name and address.

As for the crossover boards, if the sonicap leads don't fit then you can use a small drill bit to widen the holes.  I think I used a 1/16" bit. 

Here's how I did mine.

X-Statiks

X-Voce  - I moved the crossover to the middle section because I liked looking at it.  The smaller black caps are Sonicap Platinum bypass caps.

Wow! Those look huge on those boards. I imagine it would have been tough if not impossible to get that one back into the X-Voce, so I understand leaving it in the back.

Regarding the X-Voce -How did you like the results?

corndog71

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2020, 11:36 pm »
They all sound great!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2020, 05:27 pm »
They all sound great!
I take it you had to get longer lead wires to move the x-over. May give Danny a yell about some upgrades to this. Almost pulled the trigger with the Skiing Ninja back in the day, but it fell by the wayside.

I think I just want to go with the Sonicaps and bypass caps.

corndog71

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2020, 11:11 pm »
Yeah, I probably bought extra wire from Danny.  It’s good quality wire and still cheap.

GaryPC

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2021, 10:58 pm »
This is what I understand today from Danny regarding the recommended standard capacitor upgrade for the X-Voce Crossover.
Image quality is not great I am not sure why but I adjusted the text size hopefully to be readable.

« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2021, 02:43 pm by GaryPC »

GaryPC

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2021, 04:22 am »
This is how it went for me. The existing caps were hot glued down but pried off easily.
I hot glued the new caps down and enlarged the circuit board holes for the new larger cap wires using a 1/16" drip bit and straight pick tool.
The 0.1 MIFLEX caps had long leads so easily mounted into the removed bypass circuit board holes'
The tweeter bypass cap that moved to the woofer was easier to install on the back of the board.   
This will still fit into the sub woofer sealed box but I plan to mount behind the tweeter on the center board.

« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2021, 05:57 am by GaryPC »

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2021, 09:07 pm »
Nice Job Gary.

zoso124

« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2022, 01:08 am »
Hoping on this thread since I'm doing my X-Voce crossover upgrade. I have the original crossover too.

Does the two 15uf sonic caps replace the one 30uf polycap in the mid (open baffle)? I assume I just twist them together then solder to the board?

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2022, 03:45 pm »
Hoping on this thread since I'm doing my X-Voce crossover upgrade. I have the original crossover too.

Does the two 15uf sonic caps replace the one 30uf polycap in the mid (open baffle)? I assume I just twist them together then solder to the board?

You can replace a 30 with two 15's.

peteschmitz

« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2022, 01:24 am »
I am an electronics tech but am still having the same issue from the breathtaking lack of any instructions. Mine came with 4 sonicaps and 2 miflex. Here is what I came up with- the 12uf sonicap replaces c6 with the miflex soldered in parallel, to the sonicap leads. the 20 replaces c9 with the miflex in parallel. I dont see a 33uf polycap for the.68 sonicap nor can I tell for sure if the sonicap replaces or is in parallel. there is only one electrolytic cap, but its showing it in these "instructions' as either 80 or 100 and again is the .82 sonicap in parallel? It looks like it but does't say. In fact it says nothing about removing any caps or swapping caps around. Finally on the mids and woofers it looks like you guys are putting both sets of wires into the board. Can anyone please provide some clarity.

peteschmitz

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2022, 01:26 am »
also this board doesnt have via (through holes) so drilling is fine

peteschmitz

« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2022, 01:32 am »
looks like c3 is the 33uf cap to do what with- replace with sonicap? Solder sonicap in parallel to back of board?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2022, 03:42 am »
I am an electronics tech but am still having the same issue from the breathtaking lack of any instructions. Mine came with 4 sonicaps and 2 miflex. Here is what I came up with- the 12uf sonicap replaces c6 with the miflex soldered in parallel, to the sonicap leads. the 20 replaces c9 with the miflex in parallel. I dont see a 33uf polycap for the.68 sonicap nor can I tell for sure if the sonicap replaces or is in parallel. there is only one electrolytic cap, but its showing it in these "instructions' as either 80 or 100 and again is the .82 sonicap in parallel? It looks like it but does't say. In fact it says nothing about removing any caps or swapping caps around. Finally on the mids and woofers it looks like you guys are putting both sets of wires into the board. Can anyone please provide some clarity.

Both Tweeter caps get replaced with Sonicaps and Miflex in parallel.
The small 0.1 uF Sonicaps can be removed.

The 0.68uF Sonicap replaces C4 (it bypasses the standing 33uF cap)
The 0.82uF Sonicap is put in parallel across the 20uF cap next to the red electrolytic capacitor.

You wire the drivers in parallel by either one set of wires from crossover to one woofer, then wires jumping from that woofer to the other.
Or, you can have 2 sets of wires coming from the crossover board, with one pair of drivers going to each driver in that circuit.

Whatever you think works/looks best is fine.

peteschmitz

« Reply #17 on: 22 Sep 2022, 03:56 am »
Thanks. What about what I saw about using a tweeter cap under the board? also I take it all these are bipolar caps

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 22 Sep 2022, 12:19 pm »
Thanks. What about what I saw about using a tweeter cap under the board? also I take it all these are bipolar caps

That would only apply if we were still using the white, 0.1uF sonicaps bypass, like those found on the board, or the tiny, black, Gen 3 Sonicaps. It won't apply to the current 0.68uF and 0.82uF caps we provide with the upgrade.

That is correct.