Servo Sub Build

russellberg

Servo Sub Build
« on: 1 Jun 2020, 04:54 am »
Well, I am brand new to this and I am ever having a good time.  I started with Danny's entry level servo sub kit and is it ever something else!  I have never really experienced a proper sub and its kind of blowing my mind.  I built the cabinet out of ¾" MDF and I had some ⅜" cherry left over from a small chest of drawers project so I decide to clad the box with the cherry, lots of glue and lots of clamps but I have ended up with an enclosure that feels very solid.  I do lots of woodworking and I am looking forward to learning much more about the electronics and acoustics of this work.

As I added the ⅜" of cherry to the box I ended up with more wood above the sub than in the original plans.  I am hoping that doesn't prove to be a problem.

I inset the plate of the amp so that it would mount flush.  I did this by doing the cutout first then I taped 1x4 pieces of wood around the edge of the plate amp so that they were right flush up against the metal.  Then I used a flush trim bit that has the bearing above the cutter.  I then pulled out the plate amp and ran the router around the inside of the wood frame.  This gave me a perfect cutout for the aluminum plate to mount flush.

I didn't get a wiring diagram but there was a great source here https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149708.0 for hooking up the sub correctly

I was really happy with the way the dark stain on the cherry turned out next to the black components.

All done and ready to be hooked up.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Servo Sub Build
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2020, 05:32 am »
That looks fantastic!  Great job.  :thumb:

AlexH

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2020, 12:58 pm »
Great job. I love working with and the  look of cherry, just classy.  :rock:

DeeJayBump

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2020, 01:35 pm »
+3

Gorgeous build, thanks for sharing.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2020, 02:18 pm »
Really beautiful work.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2020, 03:02 pm »
Gorgeous work!

Jmitchell3

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2020, 03:58 pm »
Awesome!

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2020, 06:11 pm »
Very cool.

What are you using for footers?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2020, 06:48 pm »
Beautiful.  How does it sound?

russellberg

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2020, 05:50 am »
Very cool.

What are you using for footers?

Right now I'm using the brass floor spikes that I ordered from Danny.  I saw a website selling 4" thick platforms that they recommend the sub should sit on.  I would make my own, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this?  My application is on rug covered concrete.  They are saying that concrete can muddy the sound of a subwoofer and that putting a thick slab of maple underneath the subwoofer makes a big difference.  Is this a real thing?

russellberg

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2020, 05:57 am »
Beautiful.  How does it sound?
It is my first sub and I dont have my loudspeakers built yet, (still waiting for parts), but when I combined it with some bookshelf speakers I was blown away.  There is so much texture and depth to the music that I didn't know existed.  Just a wonderful piece of equipment.

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2020, 12:39 pm »
Right now I'm using the brass floor spikes that I ordered from Danny.  I saw a website selling 4" thick platforms that they recommend the sub should sit on.  I would make my own, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this?  My application is on rug covered concrete.  They are saying that concrete can muddy the sound of a subwoofer and that putting a thick slab of maple underneath the subwoofer makes a big difference.  Is this a real thing?

You should be fine with the floor spikes. 

DaveBez

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2020, 01:49 pm »
I am planning to build one. My biggest question about the build is how to cut out the perfectly round circle without a CNC? How did you cut it?  What size of round over bit did you use?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2020, 05:07 pm »
I am planning to build one. My biggest question about the build is how to cut out the perfectly round circle without a CNC? How did you cut it?  What size of round over bit did you use?

I use a circle jig on a plunge router

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2020, 05:30 pm »
Nicely  done  man   :beer:

And yeah,    a plunge router & circle jig  like   the ones from Jasper  work well.
We put  a .5"  roiundover onthe rearside  of all our  1" OB bafles woofer cutouts.  Probably not necessary  withthe long  wave lengths the sub is  producing but  we do it anyway.

jay

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2020, 06:07 pm »
Wow, that's a great looking sub. I wish more subs were available with a finish like that! Great work.

russellberg

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jun 2020, 08:10 pm »

I cut it out with a simple router, it doesn't even have to be a plunge router, (but that is preferred), if you lower it slowly.  I made my own circle cutting jig out of a piece of plexiglass but you can buy them too.  A lot of people use Jasper jigs.  Their small circle jig is very good.  The round over bit was a ¼" radius.

russellberg

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jun 2020, 08:15 pm »
Wow, that's a great looking sub. I wish more subs were available with a finish like that! Great work.

There's nothing like real wood, but that is expensive for big companies to do on a large scale.  I happened to have a bunch of ⅜" cherry that I had resawn when making a chest of drawers so it worked out nice for me and the extra thickness really adds to the solidity of the unit.

russellberg

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jul 2020, 01:56 am »
If you are interested in seeing the mains that I built to go along with these I did quite a detailed report over here.  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171283.new#new

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2020, 03:30 pm »
Man, that looks good.