Rock Ball's NX-Tremes build

subsonic1050

Re: Rock Ball's NX-Tremes build
« Reply #80 on: 1 Jun 2021, 06:33 pm »
Rockball - I'm waiting on parts for 2 pairs of NX-Treme's (one for myself and one for a friend/relative). I can't wait to get started on them and hear what everyone raves about! In the meantime I've been working on 2 pairs of triple servo subs which are almost done. Should be a great combination!

Out of curiosity, what did you have for speakers before and how would you compare them to the NX-treme's?

Rock Ball

« Reply #81 on: 1 Jun 2021, 07:54 pm »
Rockball - I'm waiting on parts for 2 pairs of NX-Treme's (one for myself and one for a friend/relative). I can't wait to get started on them and hear what everyone raves about! In the meantime I've been working on 2 pairs of triple servo subs which are almost done. Should be a great combination!

Out of curiosity, what did you have for speakers before and how would you compare them to the NX-treme's?

It sounds like your path is the same as mine.  I built the triple servo subs first while I waited for the cabinets for the NX-Tremes. 

My original speakers were custom made by Philip Bamberg (BESL).  They look just like the top portion (tweeter and midrange cabinet) of his larger speakers: 
http://bambergaudio.com/products/series5/5tmw.php

I thought the BESLs sounded very good but were small for the room, even with my infinite baffle (IB) sub system.  Replacing the IB sub with the two triple servo subs was a huge improvement, but the big surprise was how much better the BESLs sounded with them.

When I finished the NX-Tremes, there was no comparison.  It was such a huge leap for my system.  Now all my upgrades involve other components in my system.  The NX-Tremes allow me to hear small differences in tweaks that I never was able to hear before.

subsonic1050

« Reply #82 on: 2 Jun 2021, 02:04 pm »
Rock Ball - well you certainly have me even more excited to get mine finished! I was wanting to wait until I had everything done to try out the subs, but I know I'll be too excited to wait. They will have to pair with my Maggie's for a month or 2 before the final pairing comes together.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #83 on: 8 Jun 2021, 11:14 am »
Rock Ball. Your setup is simply amazing. Enough said

Rock Ball

« Reply #84 on: 6 Jul 2021, 06:34 pm »
FINAL UPDATE:

I have all my acoustic panels in place and I made some measurements over the holiday weekend.  Here are some photos and charts.

L and R with subs (1/3 smoothing)

L and R with subs (Psychoacoustic)

L channel separates (1/3 smoothing)

L channel separates (Psychoacoustic)

R channel separates (1/3 smoothing)

R channel separates (Psychoacoustic)

I have a high-pass filter in the signal path to my TU-8600S 300B amp.  I have tube connectors installed on the amp and my GR-Research 24-strand speaker cables.

I like a little more bass so I have the volume turned up a little more on my subs, as seen in the graphs.

All of the diffusor panels (mostly PI Audio Group) have a few layers of paint, except for the skyline diffusors (Vicoustic) directly above the listening position.

The response is better with the curtains and blinds open.  I know this doesn't jive with common beliefs, but that's how my room is.

Final thoughts:

I am extremely happy with the sound.  I tried several different configurations that were suggested to me, but I found that the way I have the speakers positioned sounds best to me.

The imaging is great.  Sounds come from very precise locations.  These huge speakers actually disappear in the room.  With the lights out late at night, they visually disappear into the black background of the diffusor panels.

Of course, there is always a downside.  Here it is.  These speakers expose the true quality of recordings.  Some of the music I listened to in the past now sounds not-so-great.  In fact, some of it sounds really bad and I don't listen to it on this system.  It's fine in my car.

I encourage those who are building these speakers to post photos of your project.  I know that I really enjoy seeing photos.

Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement while building this system.
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2021, 11:29 pm by Rock Ball »

subsonic1050

« Reply #85 on: 6 Jul 2021, 08:03 pm »
I freaking love your setup. Beautiful setup and beautifully treated room. When I get these NX-treme's mine should be pretty much the same. Your room is a bit bigger than mine, but hopefully they'll perform as well. What do you think of the 8600 amp? I was looking at it myself but was worried it might be lacking in power - even with the 95db efficiency.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #86 on: 6 Jul 2021, 08:29 pm »
Looks fantastic! How low does tour extension go with those subs? Looks like they are still going strong at 20 ha which is impressive!

Rock Ball

« Reply #87 on: 6 Jul 2021, 08:36 pm »
I freaking love your setup. Beautiful setup and beautifully treated room. When I get these NX-treme's mine should be pretty much the same. Your room is a bit bigger than mine, but hopefully they'll perform as well. What do you think of the 8600 amp? I was looking at it myself but was worried it might be lacking in power - even with the 95db efficiency.

Thanks!

I love my TU-8600S.  I built it with all the upgrades.  The only thing that causes it to clip is certain electronic music with heavy, synthetic bass.  I can play Tool all day and feel like I have enough power.  I don't listen to music real loud because there's a point at which the room starts to ring.

My brother has a TU-8600S also.  He built the NX-Oticas.  He felt that his Naim amps had a little more punch and thickness on the low end, but everything else is so much better with the TU-8600S that he uses it exclusively now.  He prefers acoustic singer/songwriter music (Jerry Jeff Walker, Little Feat, etc.) which sounds great on his system.

Looks fantastic! How low does tour extension go with those subs? Looks like they are still going strong at 20 ha which is impressive!

Thanks!

The subs will rattle the walls during a movie.  They go really low and are off the charts...literally.

Actually, I had to turn the rumble filter on because sometimes there will be extremely low frequency content in a YouTube video, and I don't want to damage the subs because they will play it.  I feel it but I can't hear it.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #88 on: 6 Jul 2021, 08:57 pm »
That’s amazing response you’re getting, I would love to hear a movie with them to see how it differs from the typical home cinema experience with sealed or ported cabs.

Rock Ball

« Reply #89 on: 6 Jul 2021, 09:23 pm »
That’s amazing response you’re getting, I would love to hear a movie with them to see how it differs from the typical home cinema experience with sealed or ported cabs.

This is what is behind the wall on the left-hand side of the TV.

(more photos in my gallery)

It is an IB (infinite baffle) sub with four 15" drivers powered by a 2500W amp.  It could rattle the windows.  I don't use it anymore because my OB subs sound so much better.

cjsailer

« Reply #90 on: 6 Jul 2021, 10:46 pm »
Hey Rock, do you remember how you placed your diffusor order from PI Audio?  Their website seems way out of date.  I finally got a phone number for Greg, but that number has been giving the busy signal.  I could buy some from audiogon, but it's listed way higher than what you could pay if you placed a direct order.

Rock Ball

« Reply #91 on: 6 Jul 2021, 10:51 pm »
Hey Rock, do you remember how you placed your diffusor order from PI Audio?  Their website seems way out of date.  I finally got a phone number for Greg, but that number has been giving the busy signal.  I could buy some from audiogon, but it's listed way higher than what you could pay if you placed a direct order.

I just sent you a PM.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #92 on: 6 Jul 2021, 11:22 pm »
Quite an endorsement of the OB subs to switch from 4 beefy 15” in an IB to 4 12”s in an open baffle for HT duty.

rich121

« Reply #93 on: 7 Jul 2021, 12:51 am »
What do you think is causing the ringing? I would definitely be fixing that!

Thanks!

I love my TU-8600S.  I built it with all the upgrades.  The only thing that causes it to clip is certain electronic music with heavy, synthetic bass.  I can play Tool all day and feel like I have enough power.  I don't listen to music real loud because there's a point at which the room starts to ring.

My brother has a TU-8600S also.  He built the NX-Oticas.  He felt that his Naim amps had a little more punch and thickness on the low end, but everything else is so much better with the TU-8600S that he uses it exclusively now.  He prefers acoustic singer/songwriter music (Jerry Jeff Walker, Little Feat, etc.) which sounds great on his system.

Thanks!

The subs will rattle the walls during a movie.  They go really low and are off the charts...literally.

Actually, I had to turn the rumble filter on because sometimes there will be extremely low frequency content in a YouTube video, and I don't want to damage the subs because they will play it.  I feel it but I can't hear it.

Rock Ball

« Reply #94 on: 7 Jul 2021, 01:24 am »
What do you think is causing the ringing? I would definitely be fixing that!

What I described as 'ringing' is what I hear when the speakers are turned up too loud for the room, and the quality of the sound degrades.  I don't normally play the system that loud anyway, so I can live with it the way it is.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #95 on: 7 Jul 2021, 03:25 am »
I've heard some very good (and famous) infinite baffle subs and I agree with you Rock Ball - the servo OB subs are muuuuuuch better.

rich121

« Reply #96 on: 7 Jul 2021, 05:16 am »

At about how many db does the ringing start?

Have you experinced it with other speakers also?
What I described as 'ringing' is what I hear when the speakers are turned up too loud for the room, and the quality of the sound degrades.  I don't normally play the system that loud anyway, so I can live with it the way it is.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #97 on: 7 Jul 2021, 05:48 am »
The ringing could be your tube amp.  Tube microphonics are a pain and the only solution is a different tube.  At least you only hear it when you crank it and not under normal use.  Try cranking it with a solid state amp.

rich121

« Reply #98 on: 7 Jul 2021, 06:36 am »
I agree... If turning up a 9 watt amp causes ringing something is up

The ringing could be your tube amp.  Tube microphonics are a pain and the only solution is a different tube.  At least you only hear it when you crank it and not under normal use.  Try cranking it with a solid state amp.

Rock Ball

« Reply #99 on: 7 Jul 2021, 12:43 pm »
At about how many db does the ringing start?

Have you experinced it with other speakers also?

I will have to measure that someday and update you.  I have experienced it with other speakers, and not just in my room.  I've walked into rooms at audio shows where the equipment was top-notch but it didn't sound good because they are playing it too loud for the room.

It's possible.  I plan on building a high-powered solid state amp in the future.  At that point, all my theories could change.

I don't listen to music real loud because there's a point at which the room starts to ring.

I think my choice of words to describe what I hear was not very good.  The reason I don't listen to music real loud is because it disturbs my wife downstairs, especially since I removed the tennis balls from under the subs :wink:. The bottom line is that I like to listen at levels that are well below the point where I hear those issues.