Rock Ball's NX-Tremes build

rockdrummer

Re: Rock Ball's NX-Tremes build
« Reply #60 on: 6 May 2020, 01:53 pm »
WOW!!!  Those look so good.  I bet they sound even better than they look.

I really like my setup, but this is an example of what makes want more!

Great job, and happy listening.

Ben

Rock Ball

« Reply #61 on: 6 May 2020, 02:00 pm »
I hope you keep those side windows covered while measuring and listening.

For years, I've been operating under the same assumption.  All the videos that I watch on YouTube say the same thing...use absorption on side wall reflection points, especially in front of windows.

This past Sunday, my wife was watching TV with me.  She likes it sunny in the room, so we pulled the curtains back and opened the blinds.  When she left, I put on Tool and cranked it up a little.  I noticed it sounded different, like the sound stage had greatly expanded.  The speakers disappeared in the room and I had about a 160 deg horizontal sound stage.

My measurements were made with the blinds closed and curtains drawn so far.  I'll do some with them open.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #62 on: 6 May 2020, 02:17 pm »
I guess that just goes to show that you never really know what's going to happen until you try it.

Rock Ball

« Reply #63 on: 6 May 2020, 02:26 pm »
I guess that just goes to show that you never really know what's going to happen until you try it.

That's one of the many lessons that I've learned on this build.

To your point though, I was planning to build some portable absorption panels to put in front of the windows when doing critical listening.  I am still going to do that so that I can experiment further with room treatments.

Rock Ball

« Reply #64 on: 7 May 2020, 04:28 am »
Took some measurements tonight.  Here are a few of the more interesting ones.

Here's the original configuration with absorption panels, no diffusion.

Here's with diffusion panels stacked behind the speaker.

Here's the measurements of both configurations.

With the sub added.

L and R with subs and diffusion behind both speakers.

The right speaker has the equipment rack directly behind it.  It is not as open as the left speaker.
« Last Edit: 7 May 2020, 11:56 am by Rock Ball »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #65 on: 7 May 2020, 03:46 pm »
I'd move the equipment so it's directly below the TV and as close to the wall as possible, and then add diffusion behind the right speaker. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #66 on: 12 May 2020, 01:29 am »
More  NX-Treme baffles being cut... backside operations.   
For those interested,  13  tools involved in  cutting these including   4  custom   made   bits.

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 12 May 2020, 02:53 am »
Now that's an amazing sight to see!

soccer

« Reply #68 on: 12 May 2020, 04:47 am »
Gret job, those speakers look very cool.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #69 on: 12 May 2020, 12:35 pm »
WOW! That's a big CNC machine! Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

So Jay can you sell just the front baffles?

Skilly

« Reply #70 on: 13 May 2020, 08:59 am »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 04:09 pm by Skilly »

Rock Ball

« Reply #71 on: 13 May 2020, 12:46 pm »
UPS delivered both boxes, listed as 40 lbs and 130 lbs, to my garage.  The UPS driver was not a big guy, and he actually carried the long 130 lb box on his shoulder.  That was pretty amazing.

Bioman

« Reply #72 on: 13 May 2020, 01:58 pm »
You have a better class of UPS drivers in your area.  Mine dropped it at end of the driveway, stated they had not given him a dolly and it was my problem to get into the house.  Think I need to move to your area :?

So, now that your getting some hours on these, how is the sound changing?

Rock Ball

« Reply #73 on: 13 May 2020, 02:20 pm »
So, now that your getting some hours on these, how is the sound changing?

Since I finished the build, I've cleaned up boxes in my home theater, changed the speaker positions and moved diffusion panels around, so there are too many variables for me to pinpoint changes specific to the speakers.  However, they do sound better than at first listen, that I am sure about.

Bioman

« Reply #74 on: 13 May 2020, 04:48 pm »
Cool!  When this COVID stuff passes I would like to hear your setup.

ccomplete

« Reply #75 on: 13 May 2020, 10:58 pm »
For years, I've been operating under the same assumption.  All the videos that I watch on YouTube say the same thing...use absorption on side wall reflection points, especially in front of windows.

This past Sunday, my wife was watching TV with me.  She likes it sunny in the room, so we pulled the curtains back and opened the blinds.  When she left, I put on Tool and cranked it up a little.  I noticed it sounded different, like the sound stage had greatly expanded.  The speakers disappeared in the room and I had about a 160 deg horizontal sound stage.

My measurements were made with the blinds closed and curtains drawn so far.  I'll do some with them open.

I’ve had the same experience. I have a window behind my speakers on the left wall but not on the right, I tried putting absorption on both sides and left it for a few weeks as it seemed to balance the center image somewhat. Took it down later and holy crap the soundstage was soo much bigger and the speakers disappeared more. Much less dead sounding overall.

emailtim

« Reply #76 on: 14 May 2020, 05:00 am »

LOL !!!  Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avjdKTqiVvQ

More  NX-Treme baffles being cut... backside operations.   
For those interested,  13  tools involved in  cutting these including   4  custom   made   bits.

jay

Impressive CNC.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2020, 07:39 am by emailtim »

Rock Ball

« Reply #77 on: 14 May 2020, 12:18 pm »

rich121

« Reply #78 on: 31 May 2021, 02:09 pm »
Would be great to read an update on how the speakers broke in, the changes from your last post and now and your thoughts.

Rock Ball

« Reply #79 on: 1 Jun 2021, 05:19 pm »
Would be great to read an update on how the speakers broke in, the changes from your last post and now and your thoughts.

Thanks for your interest.  A lot of things have changed since my last post so I'll put some things together for an update.  I just finished placing some PI Audio acoustic panels behind the speakers and will take some measurements.

But I am loving the speakers and feel bad for those who have had to wait for parts.  I know it will be worth the wait and am anxious to see new build threads.