mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Rock Ball's NX-Tremes build
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2020, 04:40 pm »
There is definitely something to be said for all black  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2020, 05:39 pm »
As a guy that has built 4-5 sets of speakers with only 4 24 inch clamps - WOW that’s a big build.

No surprise that flat pack is well done.  Those western Canucks know their stuff.  Have not bought any of these, but have bought parts from the community out there. 

Excellent progress and thanks for sharing.  Love build pics. 

reddman71

« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2020, 09:59 pm »
Those are looking great. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how they sound once you get them up and running.

Captainhemo

« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2020, 10:32 pm »
Pay attention  ,  the  tweeter and   8 M165's   are wired out of phase... just  a heads up.
It's almost the big  day for you !!

jay

Rock Ball

« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2020, 08:02 pm »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2020, 08:14 pm »
Wow Allan,   jumped right in !!  Glad to see they arrived safe and sound.

jay

Jay beautiful work.

charles

Sonicjoy

« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2020, 11:27 pm »
Very nice! Would love to hear them.  :thumb:

Edit: Looks like the apes are interested also.  :lol:
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2020, 01:01 am by Sonicjoy »

Captainhemo

« Reply #27 on: 29 Apr 2020, 06:49 pm »

Jay beautiful work.

charles

Thanks Charles, appreciate that.  These things are not quick and easy to   dry fit,  pack, and ship out
I know it's been  slow  gettingthis latest run out to folks but we're almost   caught up....   .  so, if  "your're "  still waiting  for a shipment,  they  are  coming  real soon

jay

RonP

« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2020, 08:52 pm »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2020, 10:37 pm »
Clearly your first album needs to be Thus Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss!

Rock Ball

« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2020, 11:29 pm »
well-played sir!
I was beginning to wonder if anyone would recognize that scene.

Clearly your first album needs to be Thus Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss!
I thought about that, but ended up playing Tool.  I think I'll go put that on now.

Rock Ball

« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2020, 11:40 pm »
I built the crossovers about a month ago.

The tweeter circuit leads are correctly color-matched to the tweeter terminal, but the low end circuit leads are not.  I misinterpreted the schematic at first, but connected it correctly in the speaker.

I used the solid core wire on my subs and had only enough for my tweeters after building the crossovers.  The additional wire I bought from Danny was the 14-gauge multi-strand.  I had trouble figuring out how to connect it to the driver terminals at first, but finally got everything wired last night.

I've been listening to them without the No Rez.  I will install that by this weekend.

EDIT:  See this thread for how I connected the crossover wire to the copper foil inductor.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177128.msg1864764#msg1864764
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2021, 01:18 pm by Rock Ball »

Bioman

« Reply #32 on: 30 Apr 2020, 12:19 pm »
Routing the wire and cable management can be a challenge in any build.  Can you take a few pictures of the columns from the rear and tell us what to do and what not to do based on your build.

Captainhemo

« Reply #33 on: 30 Apr 2020, 06:13 pm »
We've added holes to both sides of the bracing  so, in the  lower section, you can run the  woofer wiring up the outside of the cabinet  while running the  tweeter and mid circuit up the inside.  Once you  get above the   first  "J" brace,  , you can cross them all over to the inside so you  don't   cross the outer  tweeter opening.

If you  look at our Super 7  flat pack thread,  when we built out the first pair  I found  some   cool little wiring  loops/holder with  a  3M PSA  on the back...   you can get the   mids/tweeter wiring through them but not  everything... need to find  a bigger  size    if you  want to  use them   to  tidy up the lower  section as well.

Post #249
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159096.240

jay

Rock Ball

« Reply #34 on: 1 May 2020, 01:55 am »
Routing the wire and cable management can be a challenge in any build.  Can you take a few pictures of the columns from the rear and tell us what to do and what not to do based on your build.

I'm certainly no expert, so all I can tell you is what I did.  Good or bad.  Take it or leave it.

I didn't want to splice wire, so I had to figure out a way to connect the 14-gauge stranded wire securely to the speaker terminals.  Here's what I came up with.

I separate 3 strands and doubled them, then twisted them.  Doesn't look great but it is secure.  I'd like to hear suggestions about other ways to do it.

The white wire is what I had left over from the 16-gauge solid core wire.  (represented by green in the schematic above)

I was happy with how the tweeter wiring came out, using the solid core wire.

I'll tidy up the loose wiring when I install the No Rez.
« Last Edit: 1 May 2020, 10:36 am by Rock Ball »

adam.dickson@comcast.net

« Reply #35 on: 4 May 2020, 06:52 pm »
This is great info - especially the wiring diagrams. It will be super helpful when I go to build my NX-Tremes later this summer when they come back in stock. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Rock Ball

« Reply #36 on: 5 May 2020, 04:50 am »
I finished the speakers tonight.  I made some measurements with REW.  Here's the L and R speakers with the subs.

I'm not sure what to make of the graph, but the speakers sound fantastic.

I'll upload some pictures tomorrow of the speakers with the No-Rez installed.

RonP

« Reply #37 on: 5 May 2020, 01:58 pm »
I wonder how much that'll settle in after, say, 50 hrs of playback. It'd be interesting to see those measurements again later.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 5 May 2020, 02:55 pm »
I wonder if that peak at 150 is caused by room resonance or surface reflections? That said, the bass as a whole seems boosted a bit too?
But I don't know the layout of your room or how you measured them. could account for the differences between the left and right towers?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #39 on: 5 May 2020, 03:14 pm »
150hz is almost certainly a room mode. I have to deal with a similar issue in my upstairs system. 

Run the sweeps again but with the subs off.