new to GR Research

minnisp

new to GR Research
« on: 10 Feb 2024, 07:37 pm »
Hi Everyone,

i'm an audiophile from new orleans area in louisiana. My current system is an Audio Research Ref 3 preamp, a Harman Kardon Citation II mcshane level2 plus amp, and a Rythmik L12 sub. Speakers in my circle include: Thiel 3.6, Thiel CS2, ACI Sapphire III LE, ADS L1090, ADS 570/2. I recently got into ADS speakers and i really like them. For some reason, the 2 way 570/2 speakers are a favorite and i'm not sure why. I saw Danny's video on making a high pass filter and I think using a high pass filter would really help since they're -3db at 48hz.
 i'm trying to calculate the input impedance of the Citation amp. The input path includes two resistors in parallel. Here's the input section :

There's 1 meg ohm to ground and a 33kohm to the screen. I used Req = (R1 ∗ R2)/(R1 + R2) to calculate the impedance which comes out to 31.9 kohms. Does this calculation look correct to you?

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
Re: new to GR Research
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2024, 12:29 am »
There is a user around here named "Jaytor" who is building a Pass First Watt amp and is an EE.  If he sees this I bet he may be able to help you.

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2024, 01:09 am »
Even though I own several GR speakers, I still hang to my ADS and EPIs. Since the ADS are sealed they should blend nicely with the Rythmics.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2024, 01:38 am »
In that schematic, the 33K Ohm resistor is a grid stopper and not connected to ground.  A dot is a connection point.  It is connected directly to the pentode grid there to keep the input tube from oscillating.

The input impedance in this case it 1 Meg Ohm.  The capacitor would be 3.32nF (3300pf) for a high pass F-3dB of 48Hz

Jaytor

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2024, 02:42 am »
In that schematic, the 33K Ohm resistor is a grid stopper and not connected to ground.  A dot is a connection point.  It is connected directly to the pentode grid there to keep the input tube from oscillating.

The input impedance in this case it 1 Meg Ohm.  The capacitor would be 3.32nF (3300pf) for a high pass F-3dB of 48Hz
Yep, but you may not want to set the -3db point this high. This will drop your bass even further (you'll be down 6db at 48Hz instead of 3db) from your ADS speakers, unless you want to rely on your subs for bass in this range. This will also cause fairly significant phase shift at and above this frequency. A first order filter will result in a 90 degree phase shift, centered at the cutoff frequency. In other words, at 48Hz, there will be a 45 degree phase shift. You'll still have a 30 degree phase shift at double this frequency.

I'd suggest picking a somewhat lower frequency (maybe 30-35Hz). This will still reduce the amount of wasted power below where your speakers can generate meaningful output, but won't limit their extension nearly as much and will also reduce the phase shift in the audible range.

Phase shift at these low frequencies probably isn't going to be very noticeable (if at all), but unless you are pushing your amp pretty hard, I'm not sure the small power benefits of a higher cutoff frequency justify the reduced low frequency response from your mains.

Since your input impedance is quite high and the cap value you need is quite small (and therefore less expensive), you could get a few different values and try them out to see what you like best. The bigger the value, the lower the cutoff frequency, so you'd want to try values between 3300pf and 6600 pf.

My two cents.

minnisp

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2024, 04:25 am »
Wow! Thanks guys. I do like the L12. I got a response back from mcshane and he confirmed the original 1megaohm and that none of the upgrades I installed changed the input impedance. Thanks for the explanation about the grid resistor I was wondering why it doesn't count. Thanks for the cap suggestions I'll watch Danny's video and read up on this some more. I'll try some REW as well. I'm gonna get the tweeters redone early ads ferrofluid didn't hold up well. Kind of got interested in the nx-studio kit and maybe something with a little deeper bass