Klipsch Forte III Upgrade with Pictures!

nickd

Re: Klipsch Forte III Upgrade with Pictures!
« Reply #100 on: 31 Dec 2019, 01:43 am »
Nice work Tyson (and of course Danny),
Just out of curiosity, do you see the biggest difference in your reference speakers being the dispersion pattern?

I would imagine the Klipsch compression drivers are fast. But horns you know. They just push the sound into the room quite differently. More like a wide beam that a diffuse figure 8 the the serenity 7’s produce.

I’m thinking the Forte III’s are more of a different flavor now with the mods than your reference. Maybe Steak vs Chicken.  I like both when spiced and cooked with a bit of flair. Suppose it depends on the mood.

I imagine AC/DC through the Forte’s might best the mighty 7’s but Allison Krause might fall behind in enjoyment do the advanced soundstage of your OB reference.

Thoughts on that?

Danny Richie

« Reply #101 on: 31 Dec 2019, 03:15 am »
I'll just drop in here and post a before:

And after:

On axis measurements.

genjamon

« Reply #102 on: 31 Dec 2019, 03:19 am »
Thanks for the measurements, Danny.  Speaks volumes in combination with Tyson's comments.  I'm officially drooling.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #103 on: 31 Dec 2019, 03:20 am »
Hi,
Wonder if the woofer cut at about 500Hz are second order?

Danny Richie

« Reply #104 on: 31 Dec 2019, 03:57 am »
Hi,
Wonder if the woofer cut at about 500Hz are second order?

No, it is steeper than that.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #105 on: 31 Dec 2019, 04:02 am »
Ok thanks Danny :thumb:

schw06

« Reply #106 on: 31 Dec 2019, 12:17 pm »
I’m so happy you guys took on this project. Despite the cheap crossovers and unbraced cabinets, I have absolutely enjoyed listening to music through my pair. For me there is an undeniable “rightness” to the Forte sound. I’m curious if you were testing them with tubes or ss amps and if the modifications made any change to push you in a direction to prefer one topology over the other?
David
P.S- count me in on a mod package if created

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #107 on: 31 Dec 2019, 12:56 pm »
Tyson are plenty of tube amps.

borism

« Reply #108 on: 31 Dec 2019, 01:34 pm »
But first, we listen!  Here I've put my stock Forte IIIs into Danny's system.  We're using my First Watt amp since I want to get it closer to what I use/hear at home:

Seems like they are using Tyson's First Watt. Very interesting topic!

Danny Richie

« Reply #109 on: 31 Dec 2019, 01:47 pm »
Seems like they are using Tyson's First Watt. Very interesting topic!

We played them with his 300B amp too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #110 on: 31 Dec 2019, 01:48 pm »
I’m so happy you guys took on this project. Despite the cheap crossovers and unbraced cabinets, I have absolutely enjoyed listening to music through my pair. For me there is an undeniable “rightness” to the Forte sound. I’m curious if you were testing them with tubes or ss amps and if the modifications made any change to push you in a direction to prefer one topology over the other?
David
P.S- count me in on a mod package if created

I'll put an upgrade package together.

billion$baby

« Reply #111 on: 31 Dec 2019, 02:57 pm »
I'll put an upgrade package together.

That is AWESOME news. Can you recommend somebody that would do the upgrade work if possible. Not mechanically inclined or Brave enough to try doing that on my own. I think MANY people are in the same boat. Lots of money being left on the table in my opinion by somebody not offering this service for ALL the various speakers you have upgrade packages for. Thanks for sharing your talents and expertise.

billion$baby

« Reply #112 on: 31 Dec 2019, 03:42 pm »
  There is a pretty well known Speaker restorer near me in Pennsylvania named Bill Legall (MillerSound). Going to pop over his house now to see if installing these kits is something he would do. The weight of working with some of these speakers might be an issue for him as I believe he is in his 70's. Will report back as it might be an option for those in the neighboring states.

maty

« Reply #113 on: 31 Dec 2019, 06:30 pm »
Off topic

I had no idea about Tyson and his audio history before watching the video:

YouTube The Evolution of Hifi Reviews - featuring Tyson!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #114 on: 31 Dec 2019, 06:56 pm »
That was a fun conversation :)  We also recorded another video where we talked just about the Forte III upgrade.  I'm guessing that'll come out next week?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #115 on: 31 Dec 2019, 07:07 pm »
  Audiophile and Movie Star oh my !!!

charles

Danny Richie

« Reply #116 on: 31 Dec 2019, 07:08 pm »
That was a fun conversation :)  We also recorded another video where we talked just about the Forte III upgrade.  I'm guessing that'll come out next week?

Yeah, next week on the Forte III upgrade.

Early B.

« Reply #117 on: 31 Dec 2019, 08:01 pm »
I had no idea about Tyson and his audio history before watching the video:

YouTube The Evolution of Hifi Reviews - featuring Tyson!

I'm a bit disappointed. I was expecting to see (Mike) Tyson.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #118 on: 31 Dec 2019, 09:00 pm »
I'm back home in Denver after driving all afternoon/night yesterday.  Of course I hooked my speakers up immediately even though it was midnight.  Listened for a while, then put on pink noise to burn them in a bit while I slept. 

Right now I'm listening to "For Those About to Rock" and I have to say that my neighbors probably hate Danny right now :P

Also, for anyone that gets the mod - during burn in the lower mids and bass start off sounding great, but then go through a phase where they sound downright muffled.  Don't worry, it's part of the burn in process and it clears up after 15 to 20 hours of use. 
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2019, 10:10 pm by Tyson »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #119 on: 31 Dec 2019, 10:26 pm »

Right now I'm listening to "For Those About to Rock" and I have to say that my neighbors probably hate Danny right now :P

You can’t be an honest and true Klipsch owner unless you’re pissing off the neighbors!  :thumb:

Tyson/Danny- can you explain why a redo of the crossover was necessary? If it’s going to be in the video coming up next week I’ll look for it. I think for my speakers I’m going to try and replace the wiring and caps and see how that goes.