My X-Statik Build

AlexH

My X-Statik Build
« on: 2 Jun 2019, 01:31 pm »
Hi All

I wanted to share some pics of my latest speaker build. I love to see what others are doing but I never take pics of anything that I am doing. So this time I thought others may find these useful because I always get ideas and help from other people build pics. Its been about 10 years since my last speaker build. I have been rehabbing some classic speakers here and there but nothing from the ground up.

First some info about myself. I am what you call a bang for the buck stereo and home theater guy. My system is what most would call mid level and I am OK with that. So after doing some research and reading of others comments on here, I settled on the X-Statiks. They are done in pomelle makore veneer and curly maple acsents. This will be my first OB speaker experience.

Secondly I have not really been in my wood shop building anything, normally some type of furniture, in about two years. All I can say about the experience is.......man am I rusty.

You may see some of your ideas in this build. I got so much good info and ideas from so many of you.

nickd

Re: My X-Statik Build
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2019, 01:48 pm »
Dang Alex,
Those are beautiful. I’m a bit shop jealous too.  :green:
I hope you enjoy yours as much as my family has enjoyed our pair for the last 10 years.
Impossible to beat for the money.  :D

rockdrummer

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2019, 02:03 pm »
Those look SO GOOD! Great work. Thanks for sharing. I have very few "wood shop tools" so your shop makes me jealous too. I love getting ideas from build threads too.
Awesome job. OB IS DA BOMB!
Ben

DeeJayBump

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2019, 02:12 pm »
Beautiful job, Alex.

Thanks for sharing.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2019, 02:27 pm »
Alex,

Absolutely beautiful craftmanship. I try to do the same in all my builds. If you have your pics uploaded elsewhere, please provide the link so we can see the pics in all its non compressed glory!

Enjoy!

Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2019, 02:36 pm »
Congratulations on a beautiful build Alex, those look fantastic.  Nice shop as well.  Thanks for sharing.

Best
Ed

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2019, 03:14 pm »
Those look great.  Your attention to detail is incredible!

cementhead

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2019, 03:18 pm »
DAM! Beautiful job! ..and your shop is a little dirty. :D

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2019, 03:57 pm »
Those look fantastic!  I hope you remembered the No Rez.  Love the one piece cover too! 

Well Done! :rock:

AlexH

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2019, 04:05 pm »
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the compliments. And yes I included the no-rez, but went with the standard crossover.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2019, 04:48 pm »
Wow, those look great.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2019, 07:24 pm »
Just going off what I see at shows like RMAF, something comparable from a build/sound quality standpoint, from a regular manufacturer - a speaker of that quality would run you $10k, at least.  Nice work!

jeffh

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jun 2019, 08:59 pm »
Alex,
Beautiful build. You have skills. How do they sound?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2019, 09:25 pm »
veer nice :thumb:

Shop envy here also.

How did you cut the recess for the tweeter with the through hole already cut?

Mike

Early B.

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2019, 09:55 pm »
This is ridiculously good.

THROWBACK

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2019, 10:07 pm »
Wish I could be that "rusty" and still do beautiful work like that!!!

AlexH

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2019, 10:09 pm »
jeffh... They sound vvvery nice. They dont have much run time on them but I have already decided to get rid of my DCM Time Windows I rehabbed a couple years ago.

mlundy57... I made a template and used a pattern bit to cut the recess. Remember when I said I was rusty. After I cut the through hole I called myself a few names. :lol:  By the way I think it was you who had suggested to someone they try the Medex MDF. I really liked working with it much better than the standard stuff we have in this area. The bases are made from two layers of Medex sanded up with a coat of Z poxy for sealer and they painted up nicely.

Thanks again with all the complements.
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2019, 11:51 pm by AlexH »

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2019, 11:34 pm »
Alex,    awsome   results  man,  beauties  :thumb: :thumb:

And yes, after using the Medex, one  won't go back, most of our  flats are all made  with it now aside  from any 1.5"  material. Still like the  solid 1.5" MDF for   some  parts.

jay

AlexH

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jun 2019, 11:44 pm »
The 3/4 Medex in a 4 x 8 sheet was heavy enough. Can't imagine the weight of  1 1/2  :?