I bet I can make your speakers sound better.

maty

Re: I bet I can make your speakers sound better.
« Reply #220 on: 29 Nov 2019, 10:07 am »
Without measurements -for now- I would only opt for the above, improve some components, increase the rigidity of the box, speaker connectors, wires ...

rdkusher

« Reply #221 on: 29 Nov 2019, 03:59 pm »
i did find a review on avhub.com with fairly extensive measurements.sorry, i couldn't post a link.

rdkusher

« Reply #223 on: 29 Nov 2019, 05:19 pm »
thanks for posting the links.what is your take on this set of measurements?

maty

« Reply #224 on: 29 Nov 2019, 05:26 pm »
More measures are missing, such as only the tweeter, the impedance and phase graph and the CSD. And, most importantly, the frequency response at the listening point in your room. If it is in the near field everything is easier.

It is pretty good. With a slight answer in "V" that rockers -JBL lovers- like but that I would soften.

I would first try to flatten the answer without abusing, focusing on the tweeter. With a minimum phase PEQ in a good software player.

First brute attack with an only filter at 8 kHz. -3 dB and Q=0.8 (proportional aka RBJ filter).

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer

cewill99

« Reply #226 on: 14 Dec 2019, 04:49 pm »
Danny has created a new crossover for my KEF 102.2's

These were made in 1995. I have owned them for the last 15 years.

They do sound much better that they ever have.

Front of the speaker

Old Crossover

New crossover, first attempt to build one. Picture missing huge coil for the woofer

Drivers removed, Back of mid/tweeter is aluminum shell.

Back of cabinet with woofer. Cabinets are about 1.25' thick

Tube connectors installed

Current freq response.

maty

« Reply #227 on: 14 Dec 2019, 06:18 pm »
I guess the two speaker connectors work. Have you noticed much improvement with the new ones? By the way, in Europe I have not seen them anywhere!

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649176604-kef-reference-1022-kube/images/904140/

[PDF] https://us.kef.com/pub/media/pdf/Reference_Series_Models_101_2_and_102_2.pdf

No Rez too?

PS: this week I wanted to change the cheap Bennic resistor of the KEF Q100 tweeter with Mills 5 watts but the other person could not be there and thus verify if we notice the difference between the two and how much.

cewill99

« Reply #228 on: 14 Dec 2019, 08:15 pm »
I didn't put any No Res in the cabinets. The cabinet is thick enough. When tapping on them they are very solid.

maty

« Reply #229 on: 14 Dec 2019, 08:33 pm »
I wrote the question before adding the image in which thick walls of chipboard are appreciated.

But... I am surprised that it weighs so little, only 11 Kg.

http://gr-research.com/electracabletubeconnectors.aspx

Do you notice the difference? With very good recordings with high dynamic range (DR). Like I have listened to hours ago:

MFSB - The Best Of MFSB (Love Is The Message) (1995), CD, Legacy / Epic / Sony, Europe
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post6008879.html  DR13

oly

« Reply #230 on: 19 Dec 2019, 06:50 pm »
My compliments to GR-Research and Danny for assessing my Dali Option 2 speaker and recommending the optimal upgrades.  I have no prior experience with assembling a cross over network or even reading a wiring schematic.  But after watching a number of You Tube videos and especially the Klipsch upgrade series on New Day Record I felt I could do it.  Finding a way to get the cross over components laid out on a board that would fit inside my small speaker cabinet was the most challenging part for me, but it all worked out.  It may not be the prettiest of work, but it was my first attempt, and everything worked!   It probably only took me 4 hours total time to complete the upgrade start to finish.  So for those of you that may be wondering if the effort and (small) cost of doing the upgrade yourself, I'd say go for it.  There are lots of members at AudioCircle that no doubt could provide some help if you have a question.

For my speaker upgrade, I couldn't be happier with how they turned out.   There was a very noticeable improvement in sound.  In addition to the cross over components, I installed the No-Rez inside the cabinet, and added a 3/4 inch dowel inside the cabinet to brace the side walls.   I also replaced the Dali speaker terminals with the Tube Connectors.  And on this point, I'd highly recommend them.  Even the "high quality" Dali terminals are nothing more than inexpensive plated cast metal - a lot of questionable material for the signal to pass through.  The tube connectors are the next best thing to hard wiring the speaker cables from your amplifier to the network board.  The way I looked at it, why use relatively expensive speaker cables only to connect them to very low-cost terminals on the speaker cabinet.

cujobob

« Reply #231 on: 22 Dec 2019, 06:36 pm »
i did find a review on avhub.com with fairly extensive measurements.sorry, i couldn't post a link.

I sent a pair to Danny for suggestions in the last few days. It might be a while, but I’m hoping the driver quality is sufficient to take the speaker to another level.

WC

« Reply #232 on: 22 Dec 2019, 07:13 pm »
I would be interested also. I have two pair of Studio 530’s in my Home theater.

cujobob

« Reply #233 on: 22 Dec 2019, 09:48 pm »
I would be interested also. I have two pair of Studio 530’s in my Home theater.

I have a small theater of 530s and a 520C which I really enjoy. I was able to pick up a pair with a coupon code for $260, so putting a bit towards mods doesn’t bother me at all. It wouldn’t be difficult to go back and forth between the two at some point down the line.

WC

« Reply #234 on: 23 Dec 2019, 03:14 am »
Cujobob,

Seems like we have similar home theaters. I also have a Studio 520C. I got the 520C as a christmas present last year. Picked up the Studio 530s at two separate times during the year for $419 and $299 a pair. Currently, I am collecting materials for a pair of sealed 15" Rythmik servo subs. Be interested to see what Danny can do to it. There are a lot of parts to the 530 crossover, so it may not be an inexpensive fix.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #235 on: 24 Dec 2019, 02:24 pm »
So I know there has been mods on the bookshelf Klipsch line, but has anyone tweaked with the floorstanding models at all? I have a set of rp5000 and with all this talk of improvement I can't help but wonder the possibilities.

Danny Richie

« Reply #236 on: 24 Dec 2019, 05:07 pm »
So I know there has been mods on the bookshelf Klipsch line, but has anyone tweaked with the floorstanding models at all? I have a set of rp5000 and with all this talk of improvement I can't help but wonder the possibilities.

One of their floor standing models just arrived.

rdkusher

« Reply #237 on: 24 Dec 2019, 10:59 pm »
I sent a pair to Danny for suggestions in the last few days. It might be a while, but I’m hoping the driver quality is sufficient to take the speaker to another level.
be sure and let us know how it turns out.they are actually surprisingly nice sounding speakers especially for the sale prices.

cujobob

« Reply #238 on: 7 Jan 2020, 01:49 pm »
be sure and let us know how it turns out.they are actually surprisingly nice sounding speakers especially for the sale prices.

Danny didn’t recommend any modifications for these as the cabinets are so cramped inside (not enough space for crossover modification) and the back of the compression driver isn’t easily accessible. The response is pretty good but drops after 15 kHz. There was some ringing in the lower range of the compression driver’s range (between 1-2 kHz).

I’m disappointed they’re so difficult to work on, but on the bright side... they’re pretty good in stock form and the measurements back it up. I’ll try and post the measurements when I can get around to it.

chad

« Reply #239 on: 31 Jan 2020, 06:46 pm »
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167818.msg1780418#new

I've been officially referred to you, Danny.  Do you happen to know the specs for capacitors (completely unlabeled) used in Soliloquy 5.3 speakers?  Perhaps you can share a way to determine this through measurement?  Thank you.