GR Subwoofer Review

mnapuran

GR Subwoofer Review
« on: 12 Aug 2004, 02:52 pm »
Unreal.... Just typed for 15 minutes, and the forum here decided to go down when I made the post, and it was lost.  :evil:   I'll try this again, but won't go into as much detail  :cry:
---------------------

As most of you know, the GR subwoofer and passive radiator are now shipping.  We received a few the other day, and decided to build the reference box that Danny recommends for testing.

We compared the GR system to an M&K MX-5000 Mk II ($2600 MSRP) in a real world media room on both music and frequency sweeps.  We were driving our tests with a Parasound Halo C1 processor and 1-channel off the Parasound A51 amp on the GR system.

Music tests:  Well, not much comparison in my mind.  The GR system handily outperformed the M&K in all the music tests I did.  It just had tighter and faster response.

Freq tests:  We ran these tests from 65hz down to 10hz, as lower bass response and extension were our interest.    We started at 65hz and set a 108db reference level.  The M&K remained fairly efficient down to 35hz, pulling out a bit more level then the GR in this range.  However, from 28hz down to 10hz, the GR readily outperformed the M&K.

The in-room response of the GR was definately flatter then the M&K.

The result?  The tests were performed in one of the partners media rooms, and his comment after 10 minutes of music listening was "Okay, I'm selling my M&K tomorrow!".  I think this is a good summation of our overall opinion of this sytsem.  :D

Here are some pictures of the test setup

jjb

GR Subwoofer Review
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2004, 01:11 am »
Thanks for your comments one of the best real world reviews and comparisons I've read in quite some time. I've already started to build my cabnet. :D

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: GR Subwoofer Review
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2004, 01:28 am »
Quote from: mnapuran
Unreal.... Just typed for 15 minutes, and the forum here decided to go down when I made the post, and it was lost.  :evil:   I'll try this again, but won't go into as much detail  :cry:
---------------------

As most of you know, the GR subwoofer and passive radiator are now shipping.  We received a few the other day, and decided to build the reference box that Danny recommends for testing.

We compared the GR system to an M&K MX-5000 Mk II ($2600 MSRP) in a real world media room on both music and fre ...

Very nice review.

Any pictures of the final cabinet or during its building?

George

ooheadsoo

GR Subwoofer Review
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2004, 01:30 am »
Sounds like one of the most affordable ways to get good bass.

skeeler

GR Subwoofer Review
« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2004, 04:05 pm »
Picture link doen't seem to be working. Or is it just me?

MikeSRC

• http://www.surfremotecontrol.com
GR Subwoofer Review
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2004, 06:26 pm »
Didn't work for me either, but you can get there through the menu.  Try this link: http://mike.napurano.com/album/listpics.asp?dir=misc%5C2004+%2D+08%2D10+GR+Sub+PR

mnapuran

GR Subwoofer Review
« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2004, 06:34 pm »
Sorry... yea, link above is shots of the drivers.  Here's some of the construction: http://mike.napurano.com/album/listpics.asp?dir=misc%5C2004+%2D+08+Videri+Sub