BRYSTON BP-18

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BP-18
« Reply #20 on: 1 Aug 2020, 12:27 pm »
...nice one, James! only the led around the volume knob are not my favourites...
however, does the 18 has a bypass?

thanks,

al.

Yes because it is software driven a Bypass and a Phase invert is available.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #21 on: 1 Aug 2020, 12:27 pm »
...no digital outs, correct??

al.

Correct.

R. Daneel

« Reply #22 on: 1 Aug 2020, 12:36 pm »
Rear of my unit:

Modular Design

Digital inputs:
2 Toslink
2 Spdif
2 AES
1 USB
4 HDMI
1 Pi4

Analog Inputs:
2x RCA (1 can be phono)
2x XLR

Analog outputs:
2 Pair x XLR

Analog volume control, digitally controlled.

Excellent! Thank you James!

Will there be any possibility to have one of the XLR outputs fixed level to connect the BHA-1 headamp?

Cheers,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 1 Aug 2020, 01:03 pm »
Excellent! Thank you James!

Will there be any possibility to have one of the XLR outputs fixed level to connect the BHA-1 headamp?

Cheers,
Antun

No Sure.  I assume it would be possible given different software.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #24 on: 1 Aug 2020, 01:13 pm »
Deleted.

R. Daneel

« Reply #25 on: 1 Aug 2020, 01:15 pm »
No Sure.  I assume it would be possible given different software.

james

This would be a key feature for a headphone enthusiast, especially since you're already making a very fine headphone amplifier.

Depending on the price of the BP-18, it could then serve as a fully integrated system that legitimately replaces the BDP, BDA and BP product stack which is quite extraordinary. This would be the 2-channel version of the SP3 you've talked about some years back.

Cheers,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 1 Aug 2020, 01:43 pm »
This would be a key feature for a headphone enthusiast, especially since you're already making a very fine headphone amplifier.

Depending on the price of the BP-18, it could then serve as a fully integrated system that legitimately replaces the BDP, BDA and BP product stack which is quite extraordinary. This would be the 2-channel version of the SP3 you've talked about some years back.

Cheers,
Antun

I forgot to mention the headphone section in the BP18 is a new design and it sounds amazing and will drive much more difficult load headphones now.

james

gbaby

« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:16 pm »
Hi folks,

Have the prototype home this weekend for some tests so hope we will soon be able to move forward.

Check out the measurements!

This looks really great. :o 8)

R. Daneel

« Reply #28 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:30 pm »
I forgot to mention the headphone section in the BP18 is a new design and it sounds amazing and will drive much more difficult load headphones now.

james

Hi James!

That's good news indeed! Any specs such as output impedance on that yet?

Procuts with this level of integration and excellence are really tempting.

Cheers,
Antun

Alphonse

« Reply #29 on: 1 Aug 2020, 04:00 pm »
James, how flexible is the modularity? Is the analogue input section optional? Are there options to choose specific digital inputs? How about the Pi streamer? I could be perfectly happy with a simple version with just HDMI inputs and one set of XLR outputs, no streamer. What are the HDMI specs? Will it have the new 6th generation MDS HSR-41T HDCP 2.3, HDMI 2.0b board?   Thanks,  Al

bokko

« Reply #30 on: 1 Aug 2020, 05:04 pm »
Looks great has my interest.

Now is it possible to have a bypass mode on this? So it would be active for stereo listening, then put into bypass for the Home Theater Receiver to take over the power amp.

If possible with Amp connected via XLR and bypass mode RCA? This is becoming a very popular feature request, many preamps are bringing this feature or adding it.

Thanks look forward to more details.

MQA for streaming? I have never heard MQA on a high quality DAC so wonder. (don't want to stir a hornets nest).

NorthMac

« Reply #31 on: 1 Aug 2020, 05:22 pm »
Very interesting inside, how much space remains despite what sounds like a cram-fest when described.  Should be good for airflow and heat dissipation.

As a refresher, what are the main limitations of the Pi streamer as compared to the full blown BDP3 architecture?  I thought somehow there were max. tracks limits and others?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 1 Aug 2020, 05:38 pm »
Looks great has my interest.

Now is it possible to have a bypass mode on this? So it would be active for stereo listening, then put into bypass for the Home Theater Receiver to take over the power amp.

If possible with Amp connected via XLR and bypass mode RCA? This is becoming a very popular feature request, many preamps are bringing this feature or adding it.

Thanks look forward to more details.

MQA for streaming? I have never heard MQA on a high quality DAC so wonder. (don't want to stir a hornets nest).

Hi,

NO MQA - lots of reasons why not which I will not get into here but email me if you want our thoughts.  jamestanner@bryston.com

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 1 Aug 2020, 05:42 pm »
Very interesting inside, how much space remains despite what sounds like a cram-fest when described.  Should be good for airflow and heat dissipation.

As a refresher, what are the main limitations of the Pi streamer as compared to the full blown BDP3 architecture?  I thought somehow there were max. tracks limits and others?

Hi NorthMac

The BDP-3 still has much more computing power and speed for large libraries and download times as well as the option of an internal hard-drive.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 1 Aug 2020, 05:46 pm »
James, how flexible is the modularity? Is the analogue input section optional? Are there options to choose specific digital inputs? How about the Pi streamer? I could be perfectly happy with a simple version with just HDMI inputs and one set of XLR outputs, no streamer. What are the HDMI specs? Will it have the new 6th generation MDS HSR-41T HDCP 2.3, HDMI 2.0b board?   Thanks,  Al

Hi Al

At this point only the MM Phono stage is optional and yes it is truly modular as you can see from all the different boards in the internal picture.

james

NorthMac

« Reply #35 on: 1 Aug 2020, 06:01 pm »
Hi NorthMac

The BDP-3 still has much more computing power and speed for large libraries and download times as well as the option of an internal hard-drive.

james

Thanks James, and thanks too for the comment on MQA.  Bryston's wisdom on this, from the early days, is part of the reason many of us trust Bryston.... and stay with the brand. 

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #36 on: 1 Aug 2020, 10:46 pm »
This looks like it will be a pretty compelling product with flexibility that will be appreciated by many. I personally would have zero interest in the Pi unless its software is automonous from whatever crazed animal the main software will be so that the user can choose Volumio or whatever flavour of player they fancy. And if the Pi would be able pass native DSD... Lol.

This will seem nit-picky at best, but I personally view the LEDs around the volume control as 80's boom box cheese. I love the industrial no-nonsence look of Bryston gear. This, in my opinion, spoils that look.

I second the notion of the various LEDs being in two rows, not some offset into a third level.

Regarding HT bypass I can say the best implementation of this I've seen on a competitors P6 product is where their preamp defaulted to bypass mode when turned off. So the unit does not even have to be turned on for bypass to work. Of course if it was turned on then you had to select the HT Bypass input. This seems super smart to me. To be fair this was only when using the single ended input/outputs, not the balanced ones.

I think this will be another excellent Bryston product!

Cheers,
Robert

NorthMac

« Reply #37 on: 1 Aug 2020, 11:49 pm »
This looks like it will be a pretty compelling product with flexibility that will be appreciated by many. I personally would have zero interest in the Pi unless its software is automonous from whatever crazed animal the main software will be so that the user can choose Volumio or whatever flavour of player they fancy.

Cheers,
Robert

Pi runs on MPD too, does it not?  So I assumed that it could be operated using the same apps we use now in the BDP series players.  The only other Bryston software I am aware of is the BryFi app which I believe is just for the portable BryFi units.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 2 Aug 2020, 12:35 am »
Pi runs on MPD too, does it not?  So I assumed that it could be operated using the same apps we use now in the BDP series players.  The only other Bryston software I am aware of is the BryFi app which I believe is just for the portable BryFi units.

Correct any MPD software can run the Pi.

james

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #39 on: 2 Aug 2020, 01:06 am »

I was referring to the O/S on the Pi. Make that agnostic and it becomes compelling. Otherwise, meh, it's just an unused internal component sucking power - for me. I'm sure it will be a welcome feature for others.

To me the value of the new product is the combination of high quality DAC and analog preamp. Ideally, the Pi would be optional.

Cheers,
Robert