James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BP-18
« Reply #100 on: 5 Sep 2020, 11:31 am »
Hi Folks,

I have a question.

On the BP18 it is the first preamp we have designed that is a "fully Balanced" design - meaning there is a separate circuit path for the positive and negative sides of the musical waveform. Its considered to be the most accurate way to amplify a signal. As a result the output from the BP18 is 2 sets of balanced XLRs - thereby ensuring the continuity of the signal performance. If a customer wanted to use RCA out he would have to use an XLR to RCA adapter or XLR to RCA cable. This would 'unbalance' the output of course.

So should we include a quality set of XLR to RCA adapters in the product?

thanks
james

Sasha

« Reply #101 on: 5 Sep 2020, 11:54 am »
Hi Folks,

I have a question.

On the BP18 it is the first preamp we have designed that is a "fully Balanced" design - meaning there is a separate circuit path for the positive and negative sides of the musical waveform. Its considered to be the most accurate way to amplify a signal. As a result the output from the BP18 is 2 sets of balanced XLRs - thereby ensuring the continuity of the signal performance. If a customer wanted to use RCA out he would have to use an XLR to RCA adapter or XLR to RCA cable. This would 'unbalance' the output of course.

thanks
james

I would say no, it can be purchased separately as an option, better to offer more competitive pricing with options to add, this is the approach used by other manufacturers as well.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #102 on: 5 Sep 2020, 01:34 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have a question.

thanks
james
no, the ones who are balanced shouldn’t pay for it, however at a price just above cost would be a real incentive for some. I’ve always wanted a wish list of upgraded features from factory.  In the lines of no good, better, best there would be options like better internal xlr inputs outputs, upgraded fuses yes fuses, capped rca xlr ends that a user may not use.  Since each order is hand built why not make it custom built.  I’ve always wanted to say that even as a upgrade with already owned pieces, here’s the part I want installed.  Of course with upgrades comes a higher and fully expected price. 

sep297

« Reply #103 on: 5 Sep 2020, 04:13 pm »
James,

As for supplying 'unbalancing XLR-RCA' cables - I would suggest it is an optional cable as suggested by the others, rather than add cost to the standard amplifier.

Having an audio cable I did not need in this house would also take some explaining!

Cheers

Stuart

OTM

« Reply #104 on: 5 Sep 2020, 04:27 pm »
Make it an option
I agree with Stuart 😄

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #105 on: 5 Sep 2020, 06:00 pm »
A few thoughts in favor of including them by default, ignoring any possible impact on the MSRP and logistics:
  • People don't have to worry about finding or waiting on delivery for adapters when the need arises.
  • People don't have to worry about knowing the proper wiring configuration of the adapter.
  • Less likely that someone will connect an incorrectly wired adapter that they have lying around or purchase elsewhere.
  • Fewer conversations about any potential degradation to sound due to using an adapter.
  • Avoids problems where a customer or a dealer forgets to ask about them or to include them in an order.
  • Makes resale easier.
I'd also recommend including the proper adapter wiring configuration in the user manual, as well as a recommendation for where/how ground is terminated when using an XLR to RCA cable, for people who want to use third-party solutions.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #106 on: 5 Sep 2020, 06:31 pm »
^ Good points - thanks

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #107 on: 5 Sep 2020, 06:34 pm »
I recognize that performance is not necessarily the main concern for some customers but there are a number of valid reasons to utilize the BP-18 in the Balanced mode:

BP-18 Balanced Circuitry Explained

Bryston has been able to make significant improvements in the new BP-18 preamp circuitry. The major contributor is the fact that we can keep a fully balanced signal path throughout the input to output.

I cannot stress this enough.

The inputs are also a new design.

The output circuitry is also a new design. If we had a single-ended output on the BP-18 or use an adapter, it will give you the same performance as the balanced output, but the problem will be the single-ended connection from preamp to power amp, you would lose all the benefits of maintaining a balanced circuit path.

In the past, a fully balanced signal path was difficult to achieve because you would need a volume pot with 4 tapers. With the volume control chips, this is no longer an issue.

The new design does have a slightly better lower noise floor than previous designs but it’s much better at suppressing common mode noise.

soundmax

« Reply #108 on: 6 Sep 2020, 05:45 pm »
A single led on the volume knob would be more effective  solution than 30 leds around the knob :)
Is a remote included?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #109 on: 6 Sep 2020, 06:06 pm »
A single led on the volume knob would be more effective  solution than 30 leds around the knob :)
Is a remote included?

Hi

Only 1 lights at a time.

Yes the remote is the new BR4.

james

GrooveControl

« Reply #110 on: 6 Sep 2020, 10:08 pm »
Hi James, if you recall my post about shorting pin3 on the BHA-1...

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=170919.0

I think the same applies here.  Every XLR to RCA connector I've seen will short PIN 3 to PIN 1. According to Mike, this is not recommended on a fully active system like the BHA-1, and I think the BP18 is the same. 

I think you should include the adapters wired properly for your equipment. At a minimum, put something in the manual, or better yet on the back panel advising not to short pin 3. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #111 on: 6 Sep 2020, 11:36 pm »
^ Good point - I was thinking some kind of drawing and warning if that is the case with the BP18- I am going to check with Mike.

james

Clive197

« Reply #112 on: 7 Sep 2020, 09:57 am »
Hi James, is there a chance we could see a photo of the new BR4 remote?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #113 on: 7 Sep 2020, 11:29 am »

R. Daneel

« Reply #114 on: 7 Sep 2020, 12:58 pm »
Hi fellas!

A few questions regarding the BR-4 remote handset:

1. does it do everything a BR-2 does? I am particularly interested in it's ability to control a BDA-2 DAC (input switching and up-sample function) as well as basic transport controls for BDP-2.
2. Is it available separately and how much does it cost?
3. What is the current retail of the BR-2 and would this one do everything I mentioned above?

Cheers,
Antun

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #115 on: 7 Sep 2020, 06:29 pm »
I use mine primarily to control a BCD-3 and BP17c. Haven't tried it on my BDA-2.

If you live in the US, Moon Audio imports them. Price $149

IMO, it's much easier to see the buttons and labels, and much easier to use than the BR2

R. Daneel

« Reply #116 on: 8 Sep 2020, 06:56 am »
I use mine primarily to control a BCD-3 and BP17c. Haven't tried it on my BDA-2.

If you live in the US, Moon Audio imports them. Price $149

IMO, it's much easier to see the buttons and labels, and much easier to use than the BR2

Thanks mate!

No, I don't live in the US. If it works with a BCD-3, it should likely work with a BDP-2.

Cheers,
Antun

WillyP

« Reply #117 on: 8 Sep 2020, 11:44 am »
Hi fellas!

A few questions regarding the BR-4 remote handset:

1. does it do everything a BR-2 does? I am particularly interested in it's ability to control a BDA-2 DAC (input switching and up-sample function) as well as basic transport controls for BDP-2.
2. Is it available separately and how much does it cost?
3. What is the current retail of the BR-2 and would this one do everything I mentioned above?

Cheers,
Antun

Hello Antun,

The BR-4 does everything that is necessary for my BDA-3.14, except upsampling. Not a big deal for me, because the differences are quite small for my ears.

As far as I know, the BR-2 was designed with the BDA-2 and the BDP-2 in mind, so it should be the perfect companion for both units. I don’t own of these, so I can’t test it for you. It does have a button for upsampling.

In daily use, I prefer the BR-4 above the BR-2. It is also much cheaper than the BR-2, even when you buy the latter for a reduced price in combination with a suitable Bryston unit.

HTH

WillyP

R. Daneel

« Reply #118 on: 9 Sep 2020, 09:54 am »
Hello Antun,

The BR-4 does everything that is necessary for my BDA-3.14, except upsampling. Not a big deal for me, because the differences are quite small for my ears.

As far as I know, the BR-2 was designed with the BDA-2 and the BDP-2 in mind, so it should be the perfect companion for both units. I don’t own of these, so I can’t test it for you. It does have a button for upsampling.

In daily use, I prefer the BR-4 above the BR-2. It is also much cheaper than the BR-2, even when you buy the latter for a reduced price in combination with a suitable Bryston unit.

HTH

WillyP

It does help me, willy! Thank you!

I agree that the newer BR-4 does appear to be designed more ergonomically as the buttons aren't all of equal shape.

I'll have to think about this!

Cheers,
Antun

Sasha

« Reply #119 on: 5 Oct 2020, 11:48 am »
Hi James,

Is there any news on BP-18 release date?

Thanks,
Sasha