DIY power block question

ton1313

DIY power block question
« on: 31 Dec 2003, 03:01 am »
I want to build a power block with an IEC socket so I can use the PC of my choice. I found plans on audiotweaks.com, but I am wondering how to supply surge protection? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. PS this is a first time DIY.

I am currently using a Monster 3500 power center & want to improve on the performance. Thus the reason for the power block.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
DIY power block question
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2004, 12:09 am »
From my days working as a computer hardware tech I'm fond of saying there is no such thing as surge protection.  I've seen lightening strikes melt the wiring, power supply etc... along with the surge protection devices.  

Having said that the MOVs are designed to divert some energy and protect the rest of the equipment.  I don't have any specific advice on design outside of our offering the Jon Risch power filter which includes in it's design a couple MOVs for some basic protection.   The only foolproof protection is to unplug your system during mega-storms.   The midwest seems to suffer the most.

ton1313

DIY power block question
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2004, 01:51 pm »
Kevin,

Thanks for the info. Is there a way to expand the John Risch filter to have more outlets? If I were to use a JRF, would I be able to plug a power block into it & still get the sonic benefits to the remote outlets?

I basically need 8 outlets. Will this filter be able to handle major power amplifiers or is it designed for source components only? Is it easy to put together?

Thanks

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
DIY power block question
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2004, 10:07 am »
Lots of questions.....

Is there a way to expand the John Risch filter to have more outlets?

What you see is what you get.  The box is pre-cut with room for two duplex outlets.   There just isn't room for more on the current box.  You can use multiple boxes for applications where you need more outlets.

If I were to use a JRF, would I be able to plug a power block into it & still get the sonic benefits to the remote outlets?

Anything plugged into the outlets on the box is going to be isolated via the filter network.  The sonic benefits highly depend upon your AC line conditions and the sensitivity of the equipment you use.

Will this filter be able to handle major power amplifiers or is it designed for source components only?

It can handle any reasonable load your going to use.  Some people talk about dynamic compression with power amps.  I'm skeptical....I have yet to experience it and from an engineering perspective there is no reason that the filter network should be limiting the dynamics of a properly designed amplifier.  

Is it easy to put together?

That depends upon your skills.  Some people are gifted with many thumbs and would be better off buying something assembled rather than a kit.   The network itself is simple... two inductors and four capacitors.   Most of the complexity is in wiring and following the directions.   I'd say if you are someone who could wire a room or enjoys building things the kit is relatively simple.  If you are someone who cannot change the oil in your car then you might be better off with one of the many pre-built solutions on the market.