Help with Hypex HS200 and new sub

Al Garay

« on: 17 Dec 2003, 03:55 am »
I turned on the power and nothing... there is no sound coming from my new subwoofer.

Here are the details... this is a used Hypex HS200 and a new 12" Soniccraft SCC300 driver that I bought from reliable sources... so I expect are functional. I'm connecting the subwoofer to my 2-channel stereo consisting of:
* BentAudio TX102 pre-amp
* AKSA 100W mono-blocks
* Ellis 1801 satellites

I bought a 12' subwoofer cable and y-adapter from RS. I have the Y-adapter connected to the R-channel output from my pre-amp. One leg goes to the IC to my amplifier. The other leg goes to the subwoofer input.

I'm going to try to use the high-pass crossover, connecting directly from pre-amp to sub-in and sub-out to my satellite amps. Is this correct?

What are the high-power in connectors? They look like speaker binding posts.

I wish I had the manual. I appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Al

Al Garay

« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2003, 04:43 am »
I think I solder the driver incorrectly to the HS200. Does anyone have a diagram or instructions for soldering a driver to a HS200?

Thanks,

Al

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2003, 06:04 am »
Al,

#1. Check the fuse.  

#2.  Hook the amp up to a known good source/preamp using the RCA inputs and try the output to one of your known good speakers.   Turn the crossover & gain all the way down to start and increase slowly.

#3.  Use a speaker cable to try the high level inputs from the output of your amplifier to the HS-200.  Turn the crossover & gain all the way down to start and increase slowly to see if you get any output.   If this works when the RCA inputs didn't you may have a cable problem.   Use another RCA line level cable to see if the cable is the problem.

If you still have problems after all of this give me a call tomorrow.

Al Garay

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2003, 12:50 am »
Thanks Kevin. I received a schematic from Hypex's tech support which showed the correct location on the PCB to connect the driver wires. I also talked with Christopher at Adire Audio who kindly went over the different setup options. I love Adire's support.  And thank you for your advice as well.

Al