Audiophiles

Freo-1

Audiophiles
« on: 28 Mar 2022, 01:16 pm »
Stumbled across this article regarding audio and audiophiles.  Comments/observations?

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2022/03/27/big-kids-toys-why-arent-there-more-audiophiles-the-ivory-tower/

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Audiophiles
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2022, 01:34 pm »
The old Nature versus Nurture bit.
Who knows.

I think a big part of it is you have to have a place to set the stuff up, it costs a lot, much of it is pretty large and there are a lot of other distractions.
My wife, for instance, likes live concerts or even watching one on the screen but thinks it's weird to just sit there and listen to music without doing something else.  Talking over it, for instance.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2022, 03:15 pm »
For me, I attend a lot of live orchestral (and chamber recital) concerts.  I want my system at home to replicate that experience as much as possible.  And the cool thing is that with today's gear, we can actually get pretty close. 

I do think that there is a nice hit of pleasure that happens when we get a new piece of gear and it's truly better than the thing it replaced.  Because it elevates the experience for our entire music collection.  And that's pretty awesome.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2022, 03:47 pm »
I've noticed over the years a trend of fewer and fewer people actively listening to music.  I'm not sure of the cause though.  I don't know if it's due to the music that's popular today, or the lack of good sound reproduction for most people, or the vast number of other entertainment options available, or the pressures on peoples' time.

I have a friend who usually listens to music on some sort of smart device, and he's always mocked me in a friendly manner about my stereo.  Recently he was over and I put some music on, and he stopped everything he was doing to listen and said "wow, your stereo really does sound fantastic.  I should bring some of my music over and have a listening session."  I guess it have just never dawned on him that it could sound so much better and enjoyable.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2022, 06:04 pm »
I've noticed over the years a trend of fewer and fewer people actively listening to music.  I'm not sure of the cause though.  I don't know if it's due to the music that's popular today, or the lack of good sound reproduction for most people, or the vast number of other entertainment options available, or the pressures on peoples' time.

I have a friend who usually listens to music on some sort of smart device, and he's always mocked me in a friendly manner about my stereo.  Recently he was over and I put some music on, and he stopped everything he was doing to listen and said "wow, your stereo really does sound fantastic.  I should bring some of my music over and have a listening session."  I guess it have just never dawned on him that it could sound so much better and enjoyable.

It is everything that you said.  And there is a lot of mediocre to bad music out there that is recorded like crap.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2022, 07:53 pm »
Every hobbyist asks the same question -- "why aren't more people into this thing I like to do?" And the answer is always the same -- "I have no interest in it, nerdboy."

We often delude ourselves into thinking we enjoy music more than others in order to justify grand expenditures on audio components. The term, "audiophiles" mislabels us. We should be called, "audiogearophiles."

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2022, 08:42 pm »
It is not just the love of music, it's the attention to the room in which we listen and the quality of recordings we choose to listen to. I think those two challenges discourage the average listener. My observation was they just want to know why more people aren't buying "gear".

-Dieter

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2022, 09:08 pm »
A lot of folks aren't aware of high end audio.  Why would they be?  They are busy living their own lives.  The people who are into movies with surround setups actually get most of the way to good sound with their setups. 

When family members stop by for a visit to get away from the bad weather,  they all remark positively about the sound system.  Whilst they really enjoy listening to it, they are quite happy with their own setups, and feel no need to pursue better setups.   

It definitely seemed like there was more interest in getting a good sounding system across a larger spectrum of the population years ago.  Now, it seems like a smaller community has the interest.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2022, 09:45 pm »
A lot of folks aren't aware of high end audio.  Why would they be?  They are busy living their own lives.  The people who are into movies with surround setups actually get most of the way to good sound with their setups. 

When family members stop by for a visit to get away from the bad weather,  they all remark positively about the sound system.  Whilst they really enjoy listening to it, they are quite happy with their own setups, and feel no need to pursue better setups.   

It definitely seemed like there was more interest in getting a good sounding system across a larger spectrum of the population years ago.  Now, it seems like a smaller community has the interest.

I think that was the situation with my friend who was so shocked by my stereo; he'd just never been exposed to or heard of higher quality audio reproduction.  He said it really opened up a new appreciation for the music that he likes.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2022, 11:33 pm »
It is everything that you said.  And there is a lot of mediocre to bad music out there that is recorded like crap.
+1
I've noticed over the years a trend of fewer and fewer people actively listening to music.  I'm not sure of the cause though.  I don't know if it's due to the music that's popular today,
This is the point, the current ''music'' are even worse than the Heavy Metal and Pop from the 1980/90s, there is no a new Pink Floyd or a new Yes etc. for just one good band there are thousands crap.

AllanS

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2022, 12:24 am »
It is not just the love of music, it's the attention to the room in which we listen and the quality of recordings we choose to listen to.
-Dieter
  I wonder about this also.  I don’t remember where I read this or exactly how it was framed or phrased, but the basic question was how many are listening to the music and how many are listening to the equipment (and room)?   I know what I’m guilty of.  I’ll stop listening to the equipment soon as I think what’s coming out sounds like music.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2022, 12:50 am »
+1 This is the point, the current ''music'' are even worse than the Heavy Metal and Pop from the 1980/90s, there is no a new Pink Floyd or a new Yes etc. for just one good band there are thousands crap.

The current "music" is fine, especially Heavy Metal is FINE.Yes, I miss Pink Floyd, Rush too, but you can always find decent new bands, that are or will become the Torchbearers.I got nothing against streaming, or collecting vinyl or cds,  but I definitely blame streaming services for  having less and less audiophiles.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2022, 07:24 pm »
Kids today have way more to do than listen to music on a good stereo.  The internet, cell phones, computers, cable TV and streaming have taken its place.

Back in the 1970's when I was teenager there were 4-5 tv channels and a bunch of great radio stations in NYC.  I got hooked on the great music back then and my father an electrical engineer, built us a tube heath kit amp and preamp along with the speakers and I was hooked.  However, if I had everything the kids have today, back then, I don't know if I would have been so into music and audio gear.  Also, back then you could buy a $99 great sounding pioneer receiver and very good sounding speakers for $150 to $200.  I had a pioneer 15wpc receiver with Altec Lansing Model 3 speakers and a nice $129.00 semi auto JVC TT with a very good Sure cartridge.  You would have to spend $1500 today to get that sound.

Freo-1

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2022, 08:43 pm »
Kids today have way more to do than listen to music on a good stereo.  The internet, cell phones, computers, cable TV and streaming have taken its place.

Back in the 1970's when I was teenager there were 4-5 tv channels and a bunch of great radio stations in NYC.  I got hooked on the great music back then and my father an electrical engineer, built us a tube heath kit amp and preamp along with the speakers and I was hooked.  However, if I had everything the kids have today, back then, I don't know if I would have been so into music and audio gear.  Also, back then you could buy a $99 great sounding pioneer receiver and very good sounding speakers for $150 to $200.  I had a pioneer 15wpc receiver with Altec Lansing Model 3 speakers and a nice $129.00 semi auto JVC TT with a very good Sure cartridge.  You would have to spend $1500 today to get that sound.

Not only that, but that era was the golden age for rock music.  FM stations popped up all over the place, playing much different music than what was available on top 40.  I find it amazing that a large percentage of young people still listen to classic rock.  It's fair to say rock music is likely past it's prime.

One item of note is that many of today's cars, trucks,  SUVs actually have decent sound systems installed.  Back in the day, young people often ripped out the standard car radio for an upgraded stereo.   Don't think that market is as big now. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2022, 08:58 pm »

Not only that, but that era was the golden age for rock music.  FM stations popped up all over the place, playing much different music than what was available on top 40.  I find it amazing that a large percentage of young people still listen to classic rock.  It's fair to say rock music is likely past it's prime.

One item of note is that many of today's cars, trucks,  SUVs actually have decent sound systems installed.  Back in the day, young people often ripped out the standard car radio for an upgraded stereo.   Don't think that market is as big now.

Today however, there are a lot of decent sounding chinese chip amps for $120 or less.  I have a Dayton Audio DTA-100a and it sounds very good in a bedroom system with a pair of Monitor Audio S1 speakers.  It is transparent and has deep punchy bass with a wide sound stage.