prepro/BP-26

drummermitchell

prepro/BP-26
« on: 16 Mar 2009, 02:41 am »
Hi guys,is there any audio issues if a person was to connect a Bryston BP-26 to a Prepro.
I was thinking of maybe trying out a BP-26(strictly for 2 channel)but I want my home theatre also.
I was told I would take the R+Lmain preouts and input into the BP-26.
Just trying to get better two channel audio,but keep the theatre side also.
I like my AV-8 for 2 channel,(for now),but if I can get more musicality out my system integrating a high
quality pre such as the BP-26,any thoughts.

werd

Re: prepro/BP-26
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2009, 03:58 am »
Hi guys,is there any audio issues if a person was to connect a Bryston BP-26 to a Prepro.
I was thinking of maybe trying out a BP-26(strictly for 2 channel)but I want my home theatre also.
I was told I would take the R+Lmain preouts and input into the BP-26.
Just trying to get better two channel audio,but keep the theatre side also.
I like my AV-8 for 2 channel,(for now),but if I can get more musicality out my system integrating a high
quality pre such as the BP-26,any thoughts.

Hey drummer

I faced the same conundrum awhile back regarding HT or 2 channel. I eventually went with 2 channel only because the compromises in trying to incorporate both drove me crazy. Mind u i didnt have the gear u have invested into HT so that certainly wouldve made a difference. I also dont think that having a dedicated 2 channel room is in the cards for u also. If i were u i would probably go get a HT pre that is excellent in two channel like the bryston SP2. Or buy  a bp 26 and swap out every so often and do like 3 weeks of two channel listening and than swap your existing HT  pre back in. I wouldnt try to  piggy back the bp26 on the HT pre like u had mentioned(u will nerf the 2 channel sound in doin so). Hope that helps

p.s.

i wish i had your problems....  :icon_lol:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2009, 04:00 am »
Don,

don't forget that if you put two preamps together you have to struggle with two volume variations, 'cause the 26 has its own volume control as well as the other preamp has. if i understand you correctly so far then you have to use the 'tape out' of any preamp and plug it into the other preamp. the tape out is (normally) not volume affected.

to make a long story short: make sure that the preamp-output that you consider to plug into another preamp is not volume affected.

al.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2009, 04:08 am »
Don,

don't forget that if you put two preamps together you have to struggle with two volume variations, 'cause the 26 has its own volume control as well as the other preamp has. if i understand you correctly so far then you have to use the 'tape out' of any preamp and plug it into the other preamp. the tape out is (normally) not volume affected.

to make a long story short: make sure that the preamp-output that you consider to plug into another preamp is not volume affected.

al.

Actually he can use the tape monitors out of the ht pre if they arent bein used already and its full signal into the bp26 and he wont have to worry about volume issues(u will still have two volume controls to deal with mind u). If u put the bp26  between the Ht pre and your main speakers it will work and not nerf your two channel sound. U can also hook all your 2 channel sources right up into the bp26.

i personally dont like hookin stuff up like that, but it works. i would just get a SP2 and be done with it.....  :lol:

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2009, 04:33 am »
Thanks for the replies guys.I was wondering if connecting the 26 to  prepro would effect the 2 channel sound quality.If it does then I'm not interested,but as Al says,if I can connect to a tape input,then it would be just one Vol. to think about.I was told about the extra vol.control issue, So far as the SP2,the 3.0 will be out hopefully around the next snowfall(I'd wait for that)but my audio dealer will let check out a BP-26 for a few days.I haven't even played with my 10B-sub yet(it's still under the spare bed).I'll be going in to the city in 8 days and I'll investigate this further.

drummermitchell

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2009, 04:42 am »
As long as the 2 channel audio is not affected,then I'd go for it.
I'd like to be done with it also,BUT I'm searching  to improve the music side as much as I can(dedicated pre)
I'm assuming is far better than a prepros 2 channel,even though there are some great prepros out there and their analog side is very good.I like my Av-8 stereo direct,but were hungry for more.

mkaiser

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2009, 07:49 am »

Hey Drummer,
I would just wait for the SP3. Bryston is really concentrating on the audio performance of the SP3.

-Mark