28s BRING IN THE DISTANT THUNDER

drummermitchell

28s BRING IN THE DISTANT THUNDER
« on: 12 Mar 2009, 02:17 am »
Hi everybody,just received my 28s.Once out of the boxes,they were not to bad to handle :lol:.
Superbly packed ect.They are gorgeous looking pcs.(in black)and handles front and back 19".I'm glad they came with the clear binding posts,
instead of the red and blue as the clear has a nice quality appeal to them,not that I can go back there and look at them as often as I wished.They definately fill(height wise)one of my av spaces where the 7B-ssts were.I put the 28s on the bottom and the 4bssts above them(looks great).
I let the 28s powered up for maybe 20min.(I couldn't wait).
Using a couple of my favorite cds(I play them alot,world of brazil,Overtime(live)(LEE Ritenour,Inconsolable man(Gino Vanelli),Greatest hits(Sade).
On some of the South American style of music,what I noticed right away, how on those gut felt bass notes
that are so low you can feel the calm and the distant thunder way off in the distance.I could actually feel like I was seeing a storm brewing,it never sounded or felt like that with my 7B-ssts with that particular pc.I really like when music can give you the emotion and site to travel somewhere else.
By the way I'm running stereo direct(no sub)fantastic so far.
The 28s really get you alot closer to the instuments,I can feel and see alot more space with everything.
Kick drums,you can almost see whether they are using a 20",22"and whether the heads are coated or
clear(Emperor heads)and how much tension the heads have on them,great attack,plus some are just so meaty aa.
Crash cymbals sound more like crash cymbals14",16"ect and how they decay and spread out, there you can here and see the size :D.On some vocals I can here them trail off into space and nothingness aa,superb.
Each instrument,effects ect,the 28s bring them alot closer to the musical pocket than ever before for me.
Don't get me wrong , I really liked my 7Bssts and I was hesitant to take them in,But this is something else
and the 28s are not even awake yet.I gotta say I'm totally impressed and content as, if this is just a taste of what's to come then I'm or anybody else that has them is in for a very musical emotional ride.
I do use an arcam prepro av-8,I think that could be my weak link,even though I really like it,BCD-1,Revel 50as,Cardas GRCS,I'm thinking of a Bryston BP-26 to see
where that can take me,I'll see if I can borrow one from my audio dealer to try it out.
If the other SSTsq. are close to the 28s then all I can say is FANTASTIC :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:.

werd

Re: 28s BRING IN THE DISTANT THUNDER
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2009, 02:55 am »
I cant imagine how the 28's would sound. but i knew it was goin to be phenomenal as the difference in sst to the sq. on the 4b is significant. I am sure it was worth the wait and now we can only hope the wife likes em...lol. Get audio ark to bring by their ARC reference pre along with some shunyata mains cables and the Bryston pre too (obviousily).I am sure they will!!!!!

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2009, 03:41 am »
The 28s sure give out alot of musical info,I can't pinpoint it all as it's still early.
i think they blend in nice with the 4b-ssts on top and they color match so here's hopin she won't notice.
I have a friend who is interested in my 4B-SST,I think I'll steer him away and tell him he should go for a SSTsq.I use to use the Shunyatas Helixes anas and Pythons,but I found for me the Lessloss was superior,especially on my cdp at least that's what I hear.Now i have to think of some emergency excuses :scratch:.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:55 am »
hey, drummer...

we want pics :green:! please.

al.

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2009, 05:46 pm »
What are you running for line power out of the wall?

Will they work on a dedicated 20A line?

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
delete repeat
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2009, 05:48 pm »

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:45 am »
Hi KnowTalent,I believe the 28s will run on a 15a circuit,of course I'm assuming if you ran her hard she'd take up alot of that circuit.I run the 28s thru a Torus 60a Balanced 240V PIU,and my components thru
another Torus 20a balanced 240V also.It may be a tad extreme but I rest easy knowing they won't be starving for more power.
I not sure how to up load picts, but I'll definately check into  it.

werd

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2009, 02:59 am »
Hi everybody,just received my 28s.Once out of the boxes,they were not to bad to handle :lol:.
Superbly packed ect.They are gorgeous looking pcs.(in black)and handles front and back 19".I'm glad they came with the clear binding posts,
instead of the red and blue as the clear has a nice quality appeal to them,not that I can go back there and look at them as often as I wished.They definately fill(height wise)one of my av spaces where the 7B-ssts were.I put the 28s on the bottom and the 4bssts above them(looks great).
I let the 28s powered up for maybe 20min.(I couldn't wait).
Using a couple of my favorite cds(I play them alot,world of brazil,Overtime(live)(LEE Ritenour,Inconsolable man(Gino Vanelli),Greatest hits(Sade).
On some of the South American style of music,what I noticed right away, how on those gut felt bass notes
that are so low you can feel the calm and the distant thunder way off in the distance.I could actually feel like I was seeing a storm brewing,it never sounded or felt like that with my 7B-ssts with that particular pc.I really like when music can give you the emotion and site to travel somewhere else.
By the way I'm running stereo direct(no sub)fantastic so far.
The 28s really get you alot closer to the instuments,I can feel and see alot more space with everything.
Kick drums,you can almost see whether they are using a 20",22"and whether the heads are coated or
clear(Emperor heads)and how much tension the heads have on them,great attack,plus some are just so meaty aa.
Crash cymbals sound more like crash cymbals14",16"ect and how they decay and spread out, there you can here and see the size :D.On some vocals I can here them trail off into space and nothingness aa,superb.
Each instrument,effects ect,the 28s bring them alot closer to the musical pocket than ever before for me.
Don't get me wrong , I really liked my 7Bssts and I was hesitant to take them in,But this is something else
and the 28s are not even awake yet.I gotta say I'm totally impressed and content as, if this is just a taste of what's to come then I'm or anybody else that has them is in for a very musical emotional ride.
I do use an arcam prepro av-8,I think that could be my weak link,even though I really like it,BCD-1,Revel 50as,Cardas GRCS,I'm thinking of a Bryston BP-26 to see
where that can take me,I'll see if I can borrow one from my audio dealer to try it out.
If the other SSTsq. are close to the 28s then all I can say is FANTASTIC :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:.

I think its kewl how u can discern the different types of skin heads on the drums. those are the kinda descriptions i like to hear. Or if the gear is clear enough that u can tell the difference between roundwound or flatwound bass strings.
Its those remarks that make me understand what the person is hearing. Too many people like to talk about soundstage (back to front layering ) and other hyperbole that doesnt help me relate to what the gear's potential is.

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2009, 03:16 am »
That's what  I  try for, to hear how the instruments sound,razor sharp telecaster with lotsa twang.
i got to say I never heard hi-hat cymbals slice like they do with the 28s,my 7s didn't bring that out
and crash cymbals are delicious(they sound is if your almost there,it's that good).
I have maybe ah alf dozen or so cds that I know inside out and when instruments sound like instruments then I'm happy,that's definately worth working everyday for.There is some music where some of the lower
bass notes just sound sooooo fantastic,that's why I had said the 28s bring in the distant thunder,
because that's exactly what happenened on a pc. I was playing it was quite moving :cry:.
I can't wait to try out the BP26 as I'm sure it will transcend my AV-8 :thumb:.

werd

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2009, 05:07 am »
That's what  I  try for, to hear how the instruments sound,razor sharp telecaster with lotsa twang.
i got to say I never heard hi-hat cymbals slice like they do with the 28s,my 7s didn't bring that out
and crash cymbals are delicious(they sound is if your almost there,it's that good).
I have maybe ah alf dozen or so cds that I know inside out and when instruments sound like instruments then I'm happy,that's definately worth working everyday for.There is some music where some of the lower
bass notes just sound sooooo fantastic,that's why I had said the 28s bring in the distant thunder,
because that's exactly what happenened on a pc. I was playing it was quite moving :cry:.

What do u mean by "that's exactly what happenened on a pc" ?

drummermitchell

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2009, 01:40 pm »
Hey Werd,what I mean't was by pc,is short for a piece of music.
The 28s sure do bring alot more to the music table and like I say I don't think they are awake yet.

95Dyna

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2009, 02:54 pm »

Hi Drummer,

Congrats on the 28's.  When you made the comparison to the 7's in regards to the hi hats I'm assuming you're referring to the SST's and not the SST2's.  If so do you think the 7B SST2's will bring out the hi hat slice to some measure that the 28's have.

Regards,

Bill

werd

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2009, 02:59 pm »

Hi Drummer,

Congrats on the 28's.  When you made the comparison to the 7's in regards to the hi hats I'm assuming you're referring to the SST's and not the SST2's.  If so do you think the 7B SST2's will bring out the hi hat slice to some measure that the 28's have.

Regards,

Bill

Not to answer for Drummer, thats probably a better question for James to answer since he's heard both.  I say that because sst/2 are significantly different sounding from the sst, (well the 4b is anyways)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2009, 03:23 pm »
Hi All,

Yes the whole point of developing the SST (SQ) was to try and move the technology and the sound quality apparent in the 28B's down into the smaller powered amplifiers.

I think you will find we have been successful in our quest.

james

werd

« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2009, 04:06 pm »
Hi All,

Yes the whole point of developing the SST (SQ) was to try and move the technology and the sound quality apparent in the 28B's down into the smaller powered amplifiers.

james

I am glad to hear that,  I was just wandering how many more transistors are employed in the 28b compared to the 7bsq? This is has got to be a significant factor  in what Drummer is hearing as far as resolution in instrument clarity, and obviousily the 28b has more.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2009, 04:17 pm »
Hi All,

james

I am glad to hear that,  I was just wandering how many more transistors are employed in the 28b compared to the 7bsq? This is has got to be a significant factor  in what Drummer is hearing as far as resolution in instrument clarity, and obviousily the 28b has more.

I think the best way to approach an amplifier choice is to think of an amplifier like an engine in a car.  The quality of the different size engines are the same (4,6 or 8 cylinders) but the quality of the engines are identical. Your trying to mate the engine size to the weight of the car and optimize the cars performance. So try and choose an amplifier that meets the criteria of your particular system.  With Bryston products it becomes more of an 'application' choice rather than a 'performance' choice.

james

werd

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2009, 04:28 pm »
Hi All,

james

I think the best way to approach an amplifier choice is to think of an amplifier like an engine in a car.  Your trying to mate the engine size to the weight of the car and optimize the cars performance. So try and choose an amplifier that meets the criteria of your particular system.  With Bryston products it becomes more of an 'application' choice rather than a 'performance' choice.

james

Yes, but your First to Last post described a parameter that opens the doors to more unorthodox system set-ups. i like to think that big amps arent  necessarily about  big power anymore. It just seems to me that the 28b is entity into itself and the performance might be way ahead of all your other products, mainly because of its massive power reserves. I am getting clarity like Drummer is describing with my 4b but i think the 28b might be the king of clarity at all volumes.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2009, 04:31 pm »
^
Ya your right, there's something about a big amp loafing along that sounds engaging.

james

werd

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2009, 04:36 pm »
^
Ya your right, there's something about a big amp loafing along that sounds engaging.

james

I guess that was a joke :scratch:

drummermitchell

« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2009, 04:49 pm »
Hi guys,yes I was referring to the 28s as far as hihats,cymbals,and of course there is more.
They take me way closer into the scene of the music,superb upgrade,oops i'd better get back to work,my paints drying :thumb:.