New SST Squared Amplifier Feedback

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
New SST Squared Amplifier Feedback
« on: 11 Mar 2009, 11:48 am »
Hi All,

I am starting to get feedback from customers and reviewers out there on the new Bryston SST Squared Series amplifiers so I thought I would start a new topic.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: New SST Squared Amplifier Feedback
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2009, 11:50 am »
Here's one from across the pond - I love the last line!

To: All Bryston Customers
Memo: 4B-SST Squared Report

Sent: Tue 3/10/2009 4:30 PM
To: Bryston
Subject: new 4B sst2

Dear all at Bryston,

I am just writing to you to express my exaltation about our new 4B SST2.

What an awesome amp!! Knowing about the 4B for almost 25 years now I finally own one. To make our decision about our new amp we tested several amps at home and the 4B beat them all. The easiness and live-like verve and groove of this amp is tremendous. And the SST2 really tops the SST (which we had for testing), especially in terms of the higher ranges which come with even better naturality and looseness (not sure if this is the correct term in English).

Thanks for this great amplifier!

Best regards,

Jörg Sprengepiel
(Currently happiest Bryston user in the world :-)))   

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2009, 01:46 pm »
Sounds like the musical window is getting clearer at each step up from B,ST,SST,SSTsq.
                                        EXCELLENT :thumb:.

danman

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2009, 11:17 pm »
I own 2 4B-ST's and think they are one of the best I have heard!! I can only imagine what the new model soundslike! aa

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2009, 11:48 pm »
I can. I heard the new 7Bs @ CES...If no one was around, I would have stole 'em!  :thumb:

robb

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2009, 02:09 am »
Hi

Well, here in Dallas, Tx there are no dealers who have an sst -2 available to audition in my home.  Currently I have a Bryston 4b-nrb, and I guess I have to assume that the 4b-sst 2 would be a big improvement in some ways(s).?

rob

danman

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2009, 01:13 am »
I just called Bryston today and talked to James and he has layed away for me a 4B-SST2! Once I sell my 4B-ST it's a done deal! Looking forward to having the newer technology and thank you James once again for your help with my choice. I will give feedback once I get it in the near future.

1ZIP

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2009, 02:03 am »
I was all set to trade in my 4B ST and order a SST2 this weekend, but on Tuesday the left channel went out so now it is back at Bryston USA service for repair.  As soon as my ST gets back an SST2 will be put on order.  Sort of hate to part with the ST it has been a great amp.  But I'm looking forward to the SST2 improvements.

danman

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2009, 02:09 am »
Understandable because the 4B-ST in itself is amazing. Looking forward to comparing the 2. Hope mine sells fast............brand new silver 19" faceplate and all and in pristine condition.

1ZIP don't worry, when you get your amp back it will be as good as new!

werd

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2009, 02:23 am »
Understandable because the 4B-ST in itself is amazing. Looking forward to comparing the 2. Hope mine sells fast............brand new silver 19" faceplate and all and in pristine condition.

1ZIP don't worry, when you get your amp back it will be as good as new!

Dan and 1zip .... u guys will not be dissapointed in the least. The reinvestment is worth it and very noticeable. I went from and sst to a sq. and i am very happy i did.

danman

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2009, 02:36 am »
Thanks.........looking forward to it.

1ZIP

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2009, 02:50 am »
WERD:

What changes were there from the ST?

werd

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2009, 02:57 am »
WERD:

What changes were there from the ST?

I cant say from the ST but i had an SST. The highs are nicer as i equate to more analogue sounding. It doesnt sound bright like the old 4bs could be catergorized as. Its not a major overhaul, it still sounds like a bryston but they've perfected the 4b imo.

1ZIP

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2009, 03:27 am »
My system was a little bright and harsh on horns so I thought about introducing more of a tube sound so I stuck in a Mac C2200 (pre-amp) to see what would happen.  It did produce some very nice detailed highs and it did fix the harshness but I didn't like what its effect was on the overall sound.  So I bought a BP-26 and that did fix the harshness and it provided other improvements, but I do miss the detail and almost crystalline (not bright) sound in the high end that the C2200 brought out.  I have to admit the blue glow and fluctuating meters of the MAC is almost hypnotic.  So, maybe the SST2 will provide the detail and crystalline sound of the MAC.  If it does I'll be one happy camper!

werd

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2009, 03:41 am »
My system was a little bright and harsh on horns so I thought about introducing more of a tube sound so I stuck in a Mac C2200 (pre-amp) to see what would happen.  It did produce some very nice detailed highs and it did fix the harshness but I didn't like what its effect was on the overall sound.  So I bought a BP-26 and that did fix the harshness and it provided other improvements, but I do miss the detail and almost crystalline (not bright) sound in the high end that the C2200 brought out.  I have to admit the blue glow and fluctuating meters of the MAC is almost hypnotic.  So, maybe the SST2 will provide the detail and crystalline sound of the MAC.  If it does I'll be one happy camper!

i was seriousily considering a c2200 and replacing my bp25 mps2. I wanted tubes in my system but i ended getting the bda-1 and put that on hold. You r goin to be happy with the 4bsq. and any changes u make it will be to accompany that amp.
I would love to hear a c2200 and 4bsq paired.