PMC AB1 & LB1 EXPIERIENCES

mclsound

PMC AB1 & LB1 EXPIERIENCES
« on: 10 Mar 2009, 07:02 pm »
hi guys
just wondering on anyone who has had these speakers in your system with your sound reviews of the good and bad?????
thanks john

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
Re: PMC AB1 & LB1 EXPIERIENCES
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2009, 07:31 pm »
I've come across three diferent people with and all of them had nothing but good things to say about them...  Especially the guy that picked them up used for a grand. Little Box, huge bass.  If you don't have any personal experience with them prepare to be amazed withhow far down they will reach.  It was built for professionals as a nearfield, it can handle up to 200 watts @ 4 ohms.  We have a couple of LB1 signature centre channels laying around and I wanted to see what this little guy was capable of so I opened it up and very much to my surprise I felt sad that this box is no longer in production as this little thing kicks so much ass.  I did see however that we did a very limited run (only a hundred something pairs) of an LB1i Signature in Tiger Ebony finish, needless to say I have it.  My justification to my Fiance was that this will never be available ever again, she likes the finish so it wasn't too hard of a sell...  And it will be for my sound proofed listening and recording room.

I have not heard the AB1, but it is essentially a bigger LB1. I am hardly ever not blown away with what the company offers, it seems as though the smaller the box, the more impressive the performance.  If you can find one of those used for a price that you can afford, pick it up immediately, the will be harder to find a few years from now.

Tiny footprint, big sound.  Very clean, quick, and accurate. My personal version is only improved by the Solonex Tweeter.

mclsound

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2009, 03:05 am »
i will be keeping my eyes open for a walnut LB1 center channel,if you hear of one let me know.
thanks john

mclsound

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2009, 01:26 am »
well i finally got a chance to test out the LB1 CC and it sounds great even on a Pioneer Elite 84 reciever.
when i get a chance i will hook up the Titan.Should have a different effect??

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2009, 04:38 am »
Titan, as in SimAudio Moon Titan? If so, then yes very much so :drool:.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2009, 06:02 am »
hi, mvwhiting_83,

regarding my system listed below what PMC speaker would you recommend for a 16 sqm room?

thanx,

al.

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:11 pm »
For a 16 square meter, which is 172 square feet which is a pretty sizable room... With a 4B, I would say without knowing the exact dimensions that an FB1i or an OB1i would suffice your space.

alexone

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:42 pm »
For a 16 square meter, which is 172 square feet which is a pretty sizable room... With a 4B, I would say without knowing the exact dimensions that an FB1i or an OB1i would suffice your space.

ok. thank you. :D

al.

werd

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2009, 07:03 pm »
hi, mvwhiting_83,

regarding my system listed below what PMC speaker would you recommend for a 16 sqm room?

thanx,

al.

U thinking of picking u a pair of pmc's Alex?

rahman

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2009, 01:58 pm »

ok. thank you. :D

al.

Hi Alex

Having gone from fb1+'s to mb2s, and in a relatively small space, I would say you shouldn't be afraid to go further up the line than ob1's.

In my setup the speakers are about 2.5m apart and I'm sitting about the same distance away. Amp is 14B-C series. The sheer weight of sound, and the massive improvement in clarity in the midrange compared to the fb1's, make it a truly visceral and sometimes actually frightening experience.

I admit that it may look a bit silly having such large speakers in a small space, and I had expected complaints from the other half about this, but they never materialised. Can't say much more than that!  :green:

Cheers
Adrian

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2009, 05:29 pm »
Being that PMC can offer high fidelity at low levels as well as Bryston... Bigger is always an option!

werd

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2009, 05:40 pm »
Ian....wow ..... i never realized that pmc uses a transmission line for speaker closure until now..... :duh:  :icon_lol:  I would love to hear a OB1 and a 4bsq.
The 4bsq is an awesome amp with my Acoustic zens(2 way transmission). You dont have much exposure here in Saskatchewan, i probably wouldve bought a pair. Dont feel bad though, Saskatoon isnt great for Hi-fi dealers in general.

predrag

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2009, 06:03 pm »

[/quote]Having gone from fb1+'s to mb2s, and in a relatively small space, I would say you shouldn't be afraid to go further up the line than ob1's.

In my setup the speakers are about 2.5m apart and I'm sitting about the same distance away. Amp is 14B-C series. The sheer weight of sound, and the massive improvement in clarity in the midrange compared to the fb1's, make it a truly visceral and sometimes actually frightening experience.

I admit that it may look a bit silly having such large speakers in a small space, and I had expected complaints from the other half about this, but they never materialised. Can't say much more than that!  :green:
[/quote]

From FB1 to MB2 is three steps up the scale! It is a massive improvement!
In my space speakers are abot 3m from each other and from my listening position.
I agree with you that a small space must not always be against big speakers.
Well positioned and with good room acoustics it is real joy!
Visceral impact is phenomenal, just like in big concerts!
System upgreded like this improves your listening experience but deteriorates your relationship with neighbours and can can be wife and kids unfriendly!
Luckily Bryston/PMC systems are just as good at low levels.
If you are lucky enough to live in a house (not in apartment block like myself) you are priviledged to enjoy your system all the way!

predrag

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2009, 06:06 pm »
Ian,

Did you hear PB1 yet?
Hope I will have that opportunity very soon.

Cheers!

Predrag

werd

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2009, 06:11 pm »
what model of pmc's do u own right now predrag?... i am confused a bit here

predrag

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2009, 06:25 pm »
Previously owed OB1, now EB1i
Heard ´em all except BB5 and active ones!

Cheers!

Predrag

werd

« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2009, 06:33 pm »
Previously owed OB1, now EB1i
Heard ´em all except BB5 and active ones!

Cheers!

Predrag

How did u like the OB1's? They seem to be more suited for your location.

alexone

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2009, 07:29 pm »
hi, mvwhiting_83,

thanx,

al.

U thinking of picking u a pair of pmc's Alex?

Hi, Werd!

sorry for answering late...yes, i am still looking around for some speakers. hmmm, cannot make up my mind 8)

al.

Levi

« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2009, 08:03 pm »
If you have these Acoustic Zen Adagio pictured below in one of our rave meetings, I would definitely try to audition a  PMC OB1. 

I heard them both and favor goes to the PMC OB1 for its' resolution, dynamic contrast and coherence. :)

Ian....wow ..... i never realized that pmc uses a transmission line for speaker closure until now..... :duh:  :icon_lol:  I would love to hear a OB1 and a 4bsq.
The 4bsq is an awesome amp with my Acoustic zens(2 way transmission). You dont have much exposure here in Saskatchewan, i probably wouldve bought a pair. Dont feel bad though, Saskatoon isnt great for Hi-fi dealers in general.

werd

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2009, 08:46 pm »
If you have these Acoustic Zen Adagio pictured below in one of our rave meetings, I would definitely try to audition a  PMC OB1. 

I heard them both and favor goes to the PMC OB1 for its' resolution, dynamic contrast and coherence. :)

Yuppers, those r them, except mine r mappa burl. I had to travel to Winnipeg(next province) to get those. I actually prefered them to the B&W,and Marting Logans they had displayed next to them. I didnt have an opputunity to hear the Pmc speakers, i wish i would have.

Levi what do u think of that Monster cable avs2000 u got? I like mine but i find it can be a bit bright.