Biamping with 4B ST and 4B ST THX

kmanusa

Biamping with 4B ST and 4B ST THX
« on: 9 Mar 2009, 09:30 pm »
Hi, I am biamping the mid/hi and woofer sections of my Infinity RS-4.5 speakers using 4B ST THX and 4B ST amps, respectively.  Based on what I have read in this forum, there is no difference in sound quality and gain between these amps.  So, to get started, I will set the gain on the 10B crossover I am using to "zero" (it has a range of +/- 5 dB)-- is this correct?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Biamping with 4B ST and 4B ST THX
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2009, 09:34 pm »
Hi, I am biamping the mid/hi and woofer sections of my Infinity RS-4.5 speakers using 4B ST THX and 4B ST amps, respectively.  Based on what I have read in this forum, there is no difference in sound quality and gain between these amps.  So, to get started, I will set the gain on the 10B crossover I am using to "zero" (it has a range of +/- 5 dB)-- is this correct?

Hi Kmanusa,

Correct - have you bypassed the Infinity passive crossovers?

james

kmanusa

Re: Biamping with 4B ST and 4B ST THX
« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2009, 09:53 pm »

Hi Kmanusa,

Correct - have you bypassed the Infinity passive crossovers?

james

Hi James-- yes, as much as I can.  There is a switch on the Infinity passive to allow for single-amp or biamp mode.  The biamp mode moves the low pass corner on the woofer above 440 Hz and the high pass corner on the EMIM midrange below 110 Hz to allow for biamping in this range.  I have the 10B set for 2-way operation, 200 Hz crossover, and 6 dB/octave slopes as per Infinity's recommendation.  I have experimented with other crossover frequencies and slopes as well.  The single amp mode fixes the crossover between woofer and mid-range at about 150 Hz.  There is no way to completely bypass the passive crossover without major surgery.