laptops with HDMI 1.3 (a, b...) output?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
laptops with HDMI 1.3 (a, b...) output?
« on: 7 Mar 2009, 06:51 am »
hi, all!

i did some research but it seems that there are no laptops available yet that can output the new HD formats via HDMI ?!

am i wrong...? :o

thanx,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: laptops with HDMI 1.3 (a, b...) output?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2009, 11:38 am »
hi, all!

i did some research but it seems that there are no laptops available yet that can output the new HD formats via HDMI ?!

am i wrong...? :o

thanx,

al.

HI Alex,

I just bought the new MAC Pro Laptop and when I was researching it there was talk of maybe some future adoption of HDMI but nothing I am aware of at this point.

james

alexone

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2009, 01:09 pm »
 James,

that's interesting. a few weeks ago i spoke to a MAC retailer. the Mac Laptops that i have seen in this shop didn't have HDMI.
i asked him why and he claimed Apple has no intention to support HDMI in any of their products. instead they would introduce a complete different kind of digital audio/video interface. so i left the idea of buying a Mac.
and i cannot remember the name of this 'new' interface anymore. :o

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2009, 01:52 pm »
James,

that's interesting. a few weeks ago i spoke to a MAC retailer. the Mac Laptops that i have seen in this shop didn't have HDMI.
i asked him why and he claimed Apple has no intention to support HDMI in any of their products. instead they would introduce a complete different kind of digital audio/video interface. so i left the idea of buying a Mac.

al.

Hi Alex,

Yes I have heard that from other sources. Some do not feel that HDMI is a quality connection?

My Mac Pro has Ethernet, Firewire, USB, and Optical.

james

alexone

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2009, 02:05 pm »
James,

i didn't ask the retailer if Apple is convinced of HDMI or not. what i think is that HDMI was invented more for quality video transfer than for audio transfer. HDMI-audio seems to be the 'stepchild' of HDMI-video...

if you ask me then i would say that the auditionable results of HDMI-audio are indeed a touch lower than they can be.

al.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2009, 03:25 pm »
James,

al.

Hi Alex,

Yes I have heard that from other sources. Some do not feel that HDMI is a quality connection?

james

Hi James,

My daughter has the MacBook Pro and she is getting a new LCD TV Monday.

I see Mac has "special" AV outs through a "mini" port, and they sell $30 "adaptors".

Do you know if your usb or firewire has AV cpability? and if the Firewire has such is it a 4/4 or 4/6?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2009, 04:01 pm »
James,

al.

Hi Alex,

james

Hi James,

I see Mac has "special" AV outs through a "mini" port, and they sell $30 "adaptors".

Do you know if your usb or firewire has AV cpability? and if the Firewire has such is it a 4/4 or 4/6?

Hi John,

I am new to this and I have no idea what you just asked  :duh:

james

brucek

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2009, 06:33 pm »
A lot of newer laptops have HDMI 1.3 ports on them.

My HP laptop has an HDMI 1.3 port on it for full 1080p output.

The DVD player in it is unfortunately an HD-DVD variety that was installed before they lost the war. I can always plug in a blu-ray drive I suppose, but a standalone unit is probably cheaper.

brucek

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2009, 07:08 pm »
James,

al.

Hi Alex,

james

Hi James,

Hi John,

I am new to this and I have no idea what you just asked  :duh:

james

No problem, I'll look up the manual online and see if it says it will work.  I have a feeling the IEEE-1394 (firewire) is for uploading video only.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2009, 10:27 pm »
Here are the specs:  http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

I would guess you are right about the firewire

SlushPuppy

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2009, 12:16 am »
I just purchased an HP DV4-1225DX from Best Buy last week and it has HDMI built-in. I really wasn't expecting it considering the $630 price tag.

ec

« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2009, 02:00 am »
You will find HDMI on the consumer based notebooks.  On the corporate notebooks like Lenovo ThinkPads you will find mostly Display Port which is the new connection and transmission standard that succeeds DVI.  Display Port looks like an HDMI connector but has a slightly different physical interface.  Display Port only does video and is a recognized VESA standard where as HDMI is not.

bricktop

• performus measurementus
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2009, 03:11 am »
My Dell XPS M1330 has a HDMI and VGA output, don't know what version the HDMI is though...

alexone

« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2009, 05:33 am »
http://www.alienware.com/products/M17-notebook.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-M17&Subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

hi, Phil!

the tech specs of this laptop says it supports up to 7.1 through digital out and has also a HD digital audio output. not bad!
but they don't say what version the HDMI is...(1.3, 1.3a, 1.3b and so on). my experience is that if you go to a shop these days and ask what kind of HDMI the computer has they just look at you and don't really understand what you mean.
maybe it's the same 'problem' that most of the hifi manufacturers have at the moment...the different architecture of the new HD chips need different inner architecture of laptops to get implemented?? i don't know.

al.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 8 Mar 2009, 12:47 pm »
http://www.alienware.com/products/M17-notebook.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-M17&Subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

hi, Phil!

the tech specs of this laptop says it supports up to 7.1 through digital out and has also a HD digital audio output. not bad!
but they don't say what version the HDMI is...(1.3, 1.3a, 1.3b and so on). my experience is that if you go to a shop these days and ask what kind of HDMI the computer has they just look at you and don't really understand what you mean.
maybe it's the same 'problem' that most of the hifi manufacturers have at the moment...the different architecture of the new HD chips need different inner architecture of laptops to get implemented?? i don't know.

al.

Al - the specs on the Alienware laptop indicate the below:

"Connectivity
Video in: Integrated HD TV (ATSC) Tuner (Coaxial) - optional
Video/TV out: One HDMI 1.3b Connector
Video/TV out: One VGA Connector"

I don't know much about PC video.  I recently bought a cheap ($300 Emachines D620) laptop mainly for eventual use with a colorimeter to analyze my displays.  I could load software on my of my desktops but then it would be a minor pain to drag it around to 3 systems.  The laptop I got (is very basic - a couple of USB inputs, a DVD drive and) has VGA out and I have VGA to component cables but my understanding is that the color settings may be off if I use that as the PC is a bit different.  I have a program I've loaded but have not tried yet and I'll be getting another I use with a test DVD disc.  I'm waiting until I have the Oppo Blu-Ray player in hand (perhaps in a month) in the main system and then I'll get the stuff and do some calibrating.  I also got the laptop as I was not sure in the direction I would head getting music recorded on a hard drive.  I ended up getting a cheap $77.77 500G WD hard drive for loading Windows Media Audio lossless for use with my Zune for the car (I compress it a bit for the car) and bought the $99.99 WD media player (I haven't used it yet).  I have about 3,000 songs loaded so far and I'll probably do several hundred more and then have it reside in the main system and eventually feed it to the bedroom system on the other side of the wall and perhaps even the basement system.  If I don't like the WD interface, I have the laptop and can put the Zune software on it.

alexone

« Reply #16 on: 8 Mar 2009, 01:23 pm »
 Phil!

ok, then i didn't pay attention to the specs :D. so it might be a matter of time until 'the rest' of the world can have 1.3 outputs and benefit from its technical improvements. fine! let's see what 2009 will bring...

al.