NuPrime Raspberry Pi Server and DAC with volume control

Davezp25

Re: NuPrime Raspberry Pi Server and DAC with volume control
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jul 2016, 12:56 am »
I'm in for a chassis and a power supply/board

bigro

« Reply #41 on: 16 Jul 2016, 01:02 am »
I will be Using a Digi+ as I have an External DAC. Will there Be enough room for that?  I would not mind using a Coax Jumper from the Digi+ to the Case. Mounted Coax. A Nice case and a Proper Power Supply at a reasonable price is really filling a gap.

By the way I am new to this Forum. This was mentioned at Headfi and as I am Building an R PI player this weekend. I am very impressed Nuprime took an idea from a Customer and ran With it. If a Digi+ board as I am describing will work. Sign me Up. Nuprime was not exactly On My radar before but they are now.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #42 on: 16 Jul 2016, 02:29 am »
I'm interested but need to do some more research.

For example, does the PS power the drive/other directly or does the RPi do it?
If I purchase the case+PS, do i install the standard RPi linux or is there nuprime software too?

Basically, what do i need to get up and running? (I wouldn't need details, just a high level checklist)

rustydoglim

« Reply #43 on: 16 Jul 2016, 02:47 am »
Note that we only provide the hardware, there is no custom Nuprime software at this point. Don't come to us for support of Pi usage or any linux problem, even when we preconfigure everything for you. The Pi community is very large and I think if you are just using it for standard applications (such as Plex media server for streaming, torrent download etc), you can get help from other users easily.

If you don't use any internal DAC, we can simply mount the NuPrime STA-9 front panel.  Later if you decide to add a DAC, you can then order a replacement front panel for cheap.

We will add the optical output port for situation such as the Dig+
There are several mounting U plates that come with the case, so you can drill you own holes if you have different DAC boards.
In the future, we plan to support Pine64 board.

For power supply, the power filter board provides 5V supply to Pi, which then supplies the USB DAC and hard disk inside. I think we can provide more than one 5V supplies from the power filter board.

We can offer a version with everything configured (Pi, OS, UI and Plex installed). So all you have to do is plug in the keyboard and mouse. We can even install VNC so that you can just remote control without using keyboard and mouse. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #44 on: 16 Jul 2016, 03:44 am »
Hm. I think I'm confused. I was expecting this to be pretty much plug and play, but it doesn't appear to be so if I read your post correctly.

lcrim

« Reply #45 on: 16 Jul 2016, 04:18 am »
The RPi is a tremendous value and all the other bits are available elsewhere for less.  The whole idea just seems so wrong headed to me.  Sorry to be so blunt but Nuprime is not adding any value here. 

Larry

PS I've been running an RPi3 w/MoOde Audio for a bit and find it the most transparent renderer I've had.   That is to me where the value lies.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2016, 10:02 am by lcrim »

franz159

« Reply #46 on: 16 Jul 2016, 07:35 am »
The RPi is a tremendous value and all the other bits are available elsewhere for less.  The whole idea just seems so wrong headed to me.  Sorry to be so blunt but Nuprime is not adding any value here. 

Larry
I have been playing with raspberry for years
  • using i2s dac mounted on it (eg IQaudIO piDac)
  • using hifiberry digi+ coaxial out into an external dac
  • using usb out into an external dac
So i think I know that pros and cons of each options, also following on various forums what expert DIYers built using raspberry.

I believe the nice case + power filter offer is indeed a great value.

From a software perspective, my humble opinion is that you should look into something that can be driven WITHOUT keyboard/mouse. If you make it similar to a computer to be used.....I would use the computer of my choice.
For audio reproduction, IMO, the best headless "software" options available are (in this order) MoodeAudio, RuneAudio, Volumio.

As a final note, according to a few people who experimented with , a raspberry with an i2s connection to an external dac would represent one of the best digital source available.
To my knowledge, the only board that "exports" the i2s signal (including the clock signals) is the hifiberry Dac+ Pro
https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/articles/205711451-DAC-Pro-connect-external-I2S-DACs
Just wanted to mention as something for you to think of.

franz159

« Reply #47 on: 16 Jul 2016, 07:59 am »
In any case I would be very interested to be in the initial 20 batch, but I would like to ask  some clarification:

1) NuPrime RasPi chassis (with back panel and internal mounting brackets)  $229
To clarify:  my understanding is the raspberry itself is not included, Correct?

2) uDSD board (volume control knob at the front panel)  $99
To clarify: this would provide both rca analog out and coaxial digital out (same as uDSD portable dac). Correct? 

3) Power supply + filter board $59
Not sure if I understood properly about this.
Would the input voltage be the usual 5V needed by the raspberry?
How would this compare to the iFi iPower? Would it have the same level of flexibility? (works in any country in the world, interchangeable wall plugs)

Many thanks
Francesco

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #48 on: 16 Jul 2016, 11:49 am »
Hm. I think I'm confused. I was expecting this to be pretty much plug and play, but it doesn't appear to be so if I read your post correctly.

+1

I need something very simple and bulletproof, not a DIY project.

rustydoglim

« Reply #49 on: 16 Jul 2016, 07:07 pm »
For those just catching up, please read the first few posts. We are doing this for NuPrime CUSTOMERS who want to have consistent NuPrime chassis for all the components. Therefore if you are just a DIY person looking at this for a Raspberry Pi solution, you have come to the wrong place. There are cheaper chassis and kits out there.  The NuPrime all aluminium case is NOT CHEAP to make.

If you are looking for a bullet proof non DIY solution, this is not for you. We can install a "read to go" box where all you have to do is connect the power. But if you are not familiar with configuring your own media server and connecting it to your home network etc, this is not for you.  There is a reason some vendors sell a media server (effectively similar hardware with software in different skin) for 10X the price so that all the support cost are built-in.

1) NuPrime RasPi chassis (with back panel and internal mounting brackets)  $229
To clarify:  my understanding is the raspberry itself is not included, Correct?
Correct.  Some people already have their RasPi board and just want a better power supply and chassis.  You can get RasPi kit for $39 on Amazon.com
Pine64 or other more powerful board can also be alternate solution.  Some people might want to consider Intel based mini PC board or PC stick.

2) uDSD board (volume control knob at the front panel)  $99
To clarify: this would provide both rca analog out and coaxial digital out (same as uDSD portable dac). Correct? 
Yes. This is a bundled price.

3) Power supply + filter board $59
Not sure if I understood properly about this.
Would the input voltage be the usual 5V needed by the raspberry?
How would this compare to the iFi iPower? Would it have the same level of flexibility? (works in any country in the world, interchangeable wall plugs)
The Raspberry Pi board needs 5V supply. It will be suitable for worldwide AC.

Our value add:
1. Compatible NuPrime chassis (for you to mount hard disk and DAC inside) so that for less than $500 you have a media server with a few terabytes of storage and a decent DAC all built into one box.
2. Clean power supply
Other similarly configured media server probably sells for > $2000

This is pretty much a good entry level all in one media server + DAC + headphone amp.
But then, for about $1295, you can get the state of the art NuPrime Omnia device coming out in Q4.
They could co-exist in the home.  We probably should start a separate topics on media server and streaming strategy.

rmoody

« Reply #50 on: 17 Jul 2016, 06:07 pm »
I would like to get the PSU, possibly the chassis. Just not sure, but definitely the PSU. A good linear, affordable, PSU for the RPi is in need.

Disclaimer, I work with bigro, if we can combine shipping to save money that'd be great for all involved.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #51 on: 18 Jul 2016, 04:40 am »
As a point of comparison here guys, Bryston is very soon releasing their own Pi-box: http://bash.codes/client/bryston/testing/products/digital_audio/BDP-Pi.html
It's a full piece of gear all fully configured, but it'll cost you $1295. That is a rather substantial price bump over NuPrime's offering.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #52 on: 18 Jul 2016, 05:07 am »
As a point of comparison here guys, Bryston is very soon releasing their own Pi-box: http://bash.codes/client/bryston/testing/products/digital_audio/BDP-Pi.html
It's a full piece of gear all fully configured, but it'll cost you $1295. That is a rather substantial price bump over NuPrime's offering.

you can buy a laptop for $200,nice one mate... :lol:

carstenan

« Reply #53 on: 18 Jul 2016, 12:04 pm »
Here's the retail pricing:

NuPrime RasPi chassis (with back panel and internal mounting brackets)  $229
uDSD board (volume control knob at the front panel)  $99
Power supply + filter board $59

Ok?  If a few of you say that you are going to buy at least the chassis and power supply, we will make 20 of them as a start.
Hi, I am also interested in chasis+uDSD board+power board.

bigro

« Reply #54 on: 18 Jul 2016, 06:30 pm »
"We are doing this for NuPrime CUSTOMERS who want to have consistent NuPrime chassis for all the components. Therefore if you are just a DIY person looking at this for a Raspberry Pi solution, you have come to the wrong place. There are cheaper chassis and kits out there.  The NuPrime all aluminium case is NOT CHEAP to make."

So If I am reading this right. You must Be an Existing Nuprime Customer to even be part of this? If that's is the Case Then That is disappointing. 

Sure there are Cheaper Enclosure and Power supplies out there, The issue with those cheaper Enclosures, at least the ones I have found is They Are Cheap. They are an eyesore, Wires come off the back and sides a Hole for the GPIO connectors and the microsd etc. Cheap power supplies are bad for audio to begin so its a needed upgrade for the R PI. This Nu prime Option seems like the perfect solution for what seems to be a big Gap for what seems to be the Beginning of what could be

It seems the Search Continues for Now. 

srb

« Reply #55 on: 18 Jul 2016, 06:51 pm »
So If I am reading this right. You must Be an Existing Nuprime Customer to even be part of this? If that's is the Case Then That is disappointing. ..... It seems the Search Continues for Now.

I think you might be reading it wrong.  The way I read it is that it was conceived for existing NuPrime owners that would appreciate the consistent look and nicer enclosure and power supply and would be willing to pay the extra premium over lesser DIY offerings.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't available to anyone who wishes to buy it.

Steve
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2016, 07:01 am by srb »

rustydoglim

« Reply #56 on: 19 Jul 2016, 05:46 am »
 :duh:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE

rustydoglim

« Reply #58 on: 19 Jul 2016, 06:36 am »
Off course our chassis will be available to anyone. I think we have a lot of good inputs to proceed with a small production.

mfwalker1

« Reply #59 on: 21 Jul 2016, 02:51 am »
Thinking, thinking  :scratch:.
I see the case has a headphone (6.5mm) out. Is there room left for a decent HP amp?
How would this connect?
What's the cut off date for orders?
Regards, Matt Walker (AUS)