Review of Ascend Acoustics ELX tower speakers (released 2022)

hilde45

Hi all,

Possibly of interest, a review of a radically redesigned speaker from Ascend Acoustics.

https://ascendacoustics.com/collections/elx-series

Full review at: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/review-of-ascend-acoustics-elx-tower-speakers-released-2022

This is a review of Ascend Acoustics ELX tower speakers. My pair were originally purchased as Sierra Towers v1 but were upgraded with all the drivers (except the RAAL tweeter, which is the same) and crossover which converted them to the currently named “ELX” model, so this review is of the current ELX speaker.  As far as I know, there are no professional reviews out for this tower. The most recent (and I think the only) published review of the Ascend Towers I can find are from Enjoy the Music (2012, www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0312/sierra_tower_speaker.htm).

The Ascend Acoustics ELX towers are major and recent (2022) revision of their Sierra Towers. They are 3-way (4-driver) vented, passive speakers. They are equally capable for either home theater or two-channel listening. (I use them for music listening only.) They come with either a ribbon or dome tweeter. Cabinets are 3-ply layered bamboo, are “designed, engineered, assembled, tested and packaged in the USA” and  come with a generous “comprehensive 7 year parts & labor warranty.” While the speakers are not “high efficiency,” they have an easy-to-drive impedance curve and are very tube-friendly (flea-watt amps excluded).

The speakers are nearly full-range and do not require subwoofers. They do an exceptional job of presenting a clean and articulate soundstage, regardless of musical complexity. Dynamics and transient performance is excellent; the ELX delivers big changes effortlessly and small changes with subtlety. Bass is full and detailed, able to provide broad oceans of low sound as well as percussive punches. Midrange is accurate (in tone and timbre), and vocals sound intimate and right-sized. Treble (via the RAAL tweeter) has the lightness typical of ribbons, with a crisp clarity that is never shrill or bright.

The ELX represent a high value-to-cost ratio thanks to the fact that Ascend is a small, engineering-focused company selling directly and avoiding expensive marketing and advertising.

In brief, these speakers have provided many hours of enjoyment; they have a modest footprint, deliver excellent tonal breadth, accuracy, and presence, and offer a deep and wide soundstage. They accommodate a variety of amplifiers, and do not require a lot of power for most rooms. Clichéd as it might be to say it, these speakers make music, not sound, warmly inviting the listener to follow John Lennon’s advice: “Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream…”

For many more details, please see the full review at the link above. Thanks!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Have been a Ascend Acoustics fan for nearly 20 years and still own/use the original CBM-170 in my modest AV system.  Like you mentioned they make music wonderfully.  My comments are still on their website.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2023, 12:16 pm by JLM »